The Accurate Reloading Forums
.22 AR15's

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2521043/m/8271086421

18 January 2010, 05:52
Rather-B-Huntin
.22 AR15's
Has anyone else discovered the significant fun factor of shooting the AR based rimfires?
I picked up a S&W M&P 15-22 a couple of weeks ago and it's the funnest gun I own. It's great for the kids as it'll fit the younger shooters by dropping the collapsible stock to it's shortest length. And at less than $35 for 1,100 rounds you can shoot all weekend for very little. If you're looking for something high on the fun list and great for the whole family, give one a try!

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded emotional and sexual maturity".
19 January 2010, 07:17
nvmichael
Thanks. I've been looking at the S&W. I like the collapsible stock, I can take the grand kids shooting with me.
20 January 2010, 23:36
eurocentric
I bought two of these, one for me and one for my oldest boy. A great little shooter, I put a Leupold AR 1-4x20 scope on each and its super-lite. BTW, S&W Recommends CCI Mini-Mags ammo for it. I have also used the CCI subsonics for squirrels
21 January 2010, 01:19
Rather-B-Huntin
Mine eats Federal 550 bulk pack from Wal-Mart like a fat kid eats twinkies! It cycles flawlessly, is decently accurate, and I can get 1,100 rounds for less than $35.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded emotional and sexual maturity".
22 January 2010, 19:16
eurocentric
Walmart pulled all its guns and nearly all ammo from its stores in my area.

quote:
Originally posted by Rather-B-Huntin:
Mine eats Federal 550 bulk pack from Wal-Mart like a fat kid eats twinkies! It cycles flawlessly, is decently accurate, and I can get 1,100 rounds for less than $35.

29 January 2010, 04:36
billinthewild
I have not bought one yet, but at the SCI show I compared the S&W with the Ruger and for me it will be the Smith hands down. Thanks for the good reports. thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt
04 February 2010, 08:32
Collins
not to rain on the parade... but why is it better than a 10-22 at 1/2 the price?

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

06 March 2010, 06:22
Use Enough Gun
Yes, I've also bought two of the S&W M&P 15-22's but have not shot them yet. Our youngest son is bringing 10 college room mates and coeds down next weekend, so I'm sure they'll get a good work out.
06 March 2010, 21:29
MFD
Granted the Ruger offering is not an AR15, but for the money that 10/22 based action is one tough unit and been around for decades. I especially like the price advantage as well. I handled the other 15 22 clones and sure they are fine, but for a plinker w/ some extras believe I will go with Ruger. (Fact that I have several Ruger's has nothing to do with my preferences)
07 March 2010, 19:25
Bill/Oregon
Price advantage? The Smith is cheaper around here than the Ruger SR-22.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author
09 March 2010, 01:07
eurocentric
I got both of my S&W for less than $475
16 March 2010, 07:10
billinthewild
The Smith was what I had intended to buy, when along came a GSG-5 Carbine that I could not pass up. Like the Smith, or any of the AR style .22s it is great fun, and mine is also reliable and accurate.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt
16 March 2010, 19:48
eurocentric
Glad you like it, but its an ugly looking gun, reminds me of the Remington version.

quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
The Smith was what I had intended to buy, when along came a GSG-5 Carbine that I could not pass up. Like the Smith, or any of the AR style .22s it is great fun, and mine is also reliable and accurate.

25 June 2010, 08:31
Use Enough Gun
We shot the S&W's and they are great little guns! All of the college kids loved having their pictures taken with the "assault" rifles. Big Grin