New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheap shooting carbines
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, I'm looking for some cheap, fun, and easy to shoot rifes/carbines to get, Somthing like the hi-point, kel tek, or CX4 Storm, I'm trying to get a fun one as cheap as I can, so what are some good ones?

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine has the hi-point 9mm carbine. Ugly as sin, and just as fun (as sin that is).
Light weight
flawless feeding
low recoil
cheap milsurp ammo
accurate, although groups have not been measured.

I am planning to buy one pretty soon.

good shooting

Posts: 163 | Location: Upstate, NY | Registered: 26 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
Check out the Yugo SKS rifles. Can't get much cheaper than most of the 7.62 x 39 ammo and the rifle can be had for around $160 in like new condiditon. AIMS has some really good deals right now. They are extremely well made and the two I have are plenty accuarate, roughly 2 MOA with my eyes, and 100% reliable.

AIMS

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My SKS is nothing but a Toy for me, but it sure is a fun toy. I keep my eyes open and can pick up ammo by the case for playing. Cheapest thing I have found for fun.

Posts: 48 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 22 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
yup! about that SKS....I bought a YUGO SKS 59/66 for $129.00 / free shipping / advertized it to be excellent conditon...ha...I got a brand new one / never fired. Only thing is the rivet that holds the granade site is pressed too sight and it will not turn up!..who cares!. I stripped and refinished the stock with tung oil...looks good at range. Everyone notices it too.

Posts: 15 | Location: Sycamore,Il. USA | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of .243man
posted Hide Post
my sks rules with an advanced technologies monte carlo stock and scope mount with either my 2x6 scope or my bsa red dot. also do yourself a favor and buy yourself some 20 or 30 round detatchable magazines. definitely worth it. best ammo is the wolf brand, 100 percent reliable(no jams) cheap, and fairly accurate to boot!

" I'd die to win, because i'm born to lose"

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I cry when I see the prices of SKS' now. I remember when you used to be able to get the gun and a case of ammo for $120 out the door. Dealer cost used to be like $40-45 back in 95. I guess it's been a couple of years, what happened?
I picked up one of the Sten parts kits. Looks like it will be fairly easy to put it back together in semi auto form. I bought a 16.5" marlin 9mm barrel from gunpartscorp.com so It'll be legal length. Should be fun.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
What are the average prices on the Hi-Point 9mm carbines?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi-point carbine average price is $175 NIB.
They come with a lifr time warranty. The downside to the highpoint is the Ten Round Mag. They doint make a Hi-Cap mag for it. If I were you I would get the KEL-TEC carbine. Accepts more common pistol mags and you can get it in .40 S&W. My buddy has the 9mm carbine that accepts glock mags. I think it is a blast to shoot. Nothing like putting a 33 round mag in and unleashing the wrath of god on some pop cans. the kel-tec goes for around $300 NIB. I have found the Kel-Tec SUB2000 to be accurate and it folds in half for storage. It would make a great camp gun. Maybe even a good close range Varmint blaster -Ben

Posts: 412 | Location: Iowa, for now | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Ha, I was going to post that for a cheap shooter carbine one can't really beat the SKS, I see I'm quite late to the party!

You can still get cases of cheap ammo too so it is a double whammy.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I have both a 9mm hi point and a yugo sks. It's tough to decide which one I like better.

The Yugo with the CA compliant compensator, bayonet, and grenade sight, not to mention it's already burly build...I wouldn't call it a lightweight. It shoots wonderfully, and recoil is non existent. I'm not very accurate with it yet, but I don't plan on using it for long range work.
My Hi-point is light handy and accurate to 100 yards easily. I have had it since '98 and maybe cleaned it once, plus it survived a messy ATV rollover with me. Remington has nice 250 rd boxes of ammo at WalMart (but it likes 124 gr lead reloads best). Unfortunately, after about 250 rounds of 115 gr +p hp ammo that it didn't particularly like, I managed to break the firing pin. It didn't break at the range, but once I got it home and dry fired it once...never realized until later that day. I found the little bugger on the floor and I thought, "that looks just like a firing pin". I haven't contacted HiPoint yet about a replacement, but I'm sure they will be more than helpful.