THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FUN SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Fun Shooting    Any one into cowboy action shooting?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any one into cowboy action shooting?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted
Are any into CAS. How is it? Sure looks fun.

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Rawhider>
posted
Yep- I have shot highpower shiloutte,handgun shiloutte ,NRA target, IPSC,Bowling pins and this IS fun and no equipment race the atmoshpere is laid back and it is good practice in gun handling shooting with the type of guns that I carry and use. Most of the shooters I run into are late 40's on, especially Cowboy, the targets are generous and old eyes and iron sights can still get by .Hope you get to try it-Rawhider

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Yep, been doin it fer three years now. It's bout the most fun ya can have with yer clothes on [Big Grin]

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
over.40
What der ya mean wid ya cloths ON. At the "Black Snake Rangers" we offen ave a theme shoot. Couple of munths ago it was "Girls Day out" wherein if yer came as a girl you could shoot. If ya came as a boy ya had to prepare lunch fer the rest.

Never seen so many bearded western ladies in ma life.

Nother good one is the "Quigley" bucket challange. Fired at 500 yards with L/R rifles. Pay 50c a shot with half going to charity and half to the first one it hit it.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
[Big Grin] sounds like fun pard [Big Grin]

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi, any suggestion about 38/40 Win carbines and revolver brands, I shoot IPSC in France and I am getting interested in organising CAS, as you can notice, I prefer 10mm ( my first , Bren ten is shown in the gallery at http://securityarms.com )
I would like to get infos about the lever action shotgun built by ADI Lightgow, Australia, based on the 1887/1901 Browning/Winchester design. will it be seen on the market, one day ? (ADI does not answer to any mail )

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Edmond,
As far as the 38/40 carbine it'll probably have ta be a original Win, I think Uberti mighta made a repo. Pistols, well COLT, anythin else is justa copy [Smile] Or ya can getta copy from USFA, AWA, or ROOGER. Most of all pard, HAVE FUN [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll search about italian mfg, they're next door, i'm in France

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
It's the only thing I do that I can accurately call "fun." I'm a member of both SASS and NCOWS and I find that doing this CAS stuff is a LOT cheaper than hunting -- at least the hunts I do, anyway.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
<azmike>
posted
Do you have a web page to find info about cowboy shooting....
thanks

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
azmike,
Try SASSnet.com [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

<Chigger>
posted
I just started last year at our gun club. I must say those youngsters do have an edge with a good pair of eyes over iron sights. [Frown]

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Chigger,
Ya they can but dang ain't it fun [Big Grin]
It's the most fun ya can have with yer clothes on [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by azmike:
Do you have a web page to find info about cowboy shooting?

The Single Action Shooting Society

The National Congress of Old West Shootists

The Cowboy Mounted Shooting Association

I belong to both NCOWS and SASS. If I had a horse, I'd be doing mounted events, too.

Note, NCOWS is very serious about being "period correct." If you are more interested with the type of "look" as in the westerns you may have seen growing up, you'll be more at home with SASS, which is more "Hollywood" in nature. I belong to both because I enjoy both. The people at these affairs are the best in the world.

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you Cowboy action dudes post pictures of the firearms that you use?

[ 12-27-2002, 22:01: Message edited by: rockhead ]

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'd like to see what the favored tools are too.

What does it cost, approximately? Not counting ammo and gas to the event, of course.

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Let me try to answer Scott's inquiry, as to the cost........CASS, or Cowboy Action Shooting. First of all I have to agree with a previous quote,"It's the most fun you can have with your pants on". Generally, and in most instances, four firearms are needed. Two single action pistols. 2 1873 Colts, Rugers, EMF's US Firearms, Hartfords, or something similar. Single action, hammerd revolvers. Cost for a pair will run somewhere between $400.00 to $infinity. Mine are Ruger Vaqueros. Stainless Steel, 5.5" barrel. About $400.00 each. Double western holsters are between, $200.00 and $800.00. Depends on how fancy...... Next you'll need a rifle. Lever action,10 shot capacity, Winchester Mdl 1894 or earlier, or reproduction of similar, Lever action with exposed hammer, in a pistol caliber, is a must, in most instances..45 Colt .44/40 .45 Sholfield, .44. A lot of guys and gals use .357..I find, having your rifle and pistols in the same caliber, eases your reloading time a little, just more convienent.
You'll also need a shotgun. My Win. Mdl 1897 pump in 12 guage cost me $600.00 2 years ago. You can spend less on a clone of the 97, or Go with a 12 double gun, coach gun. Stoeger makes some really nice ones. Exposed hammers, very old fashion. Clothing will also have to be considered, probably at least $400.00 for a complete period correct cowboy outfit. Have I mentioned that it's all well worth the price, money well spent. The sport is very rewarding, and a real fun time.I hope this helps. Oops, cost of SASS membership, $35.00 per year or $400.00 for life. Good luck, and have fun

Posts: 2 | Location: Cary, IL. | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you want to see photos of the typical firearms used, Surf over to The SASS home page, or Gun Broker.com. Click on Modern firearms than Cowboy action shooting firearms, you'll get a pretty good overview of of what's being used. Also what folks are asking for them. Back at the SASS (Single Action Shooting Society)home page, you can look at the rule book, which will give you an indepth to the rules. Safety, safety, safety, and fun...........

Posts: 2 | Location: Cary, IL. | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Pards,
Ya should come ta Cody, Wy. fer Buffalo Bills Summer Range this year. We went last year and won't miss another! Lots a shootin an FUN!!! No ta mention the sites. Maybe we'll see ya there!

As fer shooters i shoot Colts, a 7.5 inch TR Comm with ivory grips an a nickel 4.75 both in 44/40. My rifle is a Navy Arms Deluxe Sporter in 44/40 also. My shotgun is a Win 97 but i'm gonna get a EAA double with hammers fer the Classic Cowboy class.

A warning ta those interested! If ya come an watch a match yull be HOOKED! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell me about the event. How big is it? How many days? What dates this year (and next year, 2003, if you know)? SASS- or NCOWS-sponsored? Many vendors on hand? What kind of side matches? How much for the full event ($$$) and how much for the side matches?

Finally... would it be worth the drive from the Iowa/Illinois border to Cody, Wyoming?

Thanks.

Russ

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Russell,last year it was $85 to shoot the main match and $10 for each side match ya shot. Ya gotta try Custers Last Stand: 5 man teams, one pistol an one rifle each an 101 roundseach. Over 500 targets ta knock down. Who ever got the most down in the aloted time one. We were 2nd! They have ALL the typical side matchs. This year its june 11th-14th. The first day is side matchs, 2nd an 3rd main match an 4th top gun shootoff. Its a SASS match also. In fact its on the front page of decembers cowboy cronical. It was soooooo much fun words can't decribe it. VERY good folks put it on an do it VERY well. Ya won't be sorry if come up an shoot it, GUARANTEED! Oh, sat night is the banquet, prime rib was served. Judge Roy Bean an Lilly Kate were there. After shootin each day everyone gets dressed up an goes to the Erma hotel (Buffalo Bills) healed. Can't say enough great things about it, except [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Oh fergot, entries were cut off at 250

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
This is somewhat shooting related: Where can I get boots? I've tried COWS, Texas Jacks and a few other of the larger outfits but they all stop at size 12. I Wear 13's. I'm looking for a simple stove pipe or cathedral style boot. I have all the rest of the gear and really hate having to wear my modern boots.

On an actual shooting related question. How many of you use cap & ball revolvers? I Got a pair of sweet shooting 51 Navies that I want to start using. I've been using Vaqueros and wanted to try the Navy cap & ball revolvers. It seems that there should be adequate time for reloads and cleaning between stages. Also, where I used to shoot we had stages where reloads were required. How is this handled with Cap & Ball revolvers?

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Carey Kid.

I have done quite a bit of browsing trying to figure out a cheap way to get involved. The clothes shouldn't be a big deal, but it was difficult to figure out what was needed for firearms (longevity included). It seems most serious players have a couple grand in their rigs at a minimum. Can't do that. Sounds like fun, maybe some day. I spend enough on IHMSA right now, and that is peanuts, comparatively speaking.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Z1R: I use an 1858 as my second revolver, along with an extra cylinder. I keep one ready to go at all times when I'm at matches.

ScottB: Look, they don't come any poorer than me. Just start slow. Hell, most of these guys will LOAN you a gun to shoot. If you can coordinate ahead of time, you might be "nice" and buy some ammo for whatever gun you will be loaned. First, just go and have fun. Worry about "how to" details later.

As for boots, I wear a 15D, so you pygmies with size 13s don't impress me any. Seriously, if you want "period correct" boots, there are quite a few places who will make them for you. Find a SASS member and ask to see one of his SASS Chronicle newspapers/magazines. (It's more like a newspaper, but it's kind of a magazine.) There are ads galore in this publication, to include those for boot makers. Boots are NOT a problem, if you just shop around.

Russ

[ 01-03-2003, 08:39: Message edited by: Russell E. Taylor ]

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Yep, what Russell says, come an play. I've lent ammo an guns ta new shooters, even hauled guns fer folks in my guncart. If'n ya shop around an buy used ya can get everythin ta shoot fer bout $700-$800. An i'm tellin ya, ya won't be sorry! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
ScottB,

Like they've all said. It's a friendly crowd and people will loan you guns. When I first started I only had 1 revolver and one Marlin 1894. People lent me their shotguns and revolvers. I just brought ammo & coffee. The coffee was more to give em jitters. One nice thing about this is that it gives you the opportunity to try before you buy.

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
One nice thing about this is that it gives you the opportunity to try before you buy.

Yes, exactly. You may find that you have an affinity for 1897 pumps, versus using a SxS, for instance. (I really envy the guys and gals who can "use" those 1897s... I'm not even going to try. I can tell, up front, I'd be all fumble-fingered.)

You might find you prefer Schofields over Peacemakers. You might find out about all kinds of other things before you buy them.

ScottB, you also mentioned being a "serious player." Don't be a "serious player." Forget serious. Unless your name is China Camp, you can pretty much forget serious. Just focus on "fun," and that's what you'll have. Along the way, you might get "good"... but just have "fun."

Russ

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
What Russ said is true: Don't join to be a serious player join to have fun.

None of my firearms has had any action work or slicking done to em. I have always managed to place in the top ten when I was shooting. The group I belonged to was not SASS affiliated but still patterned themselves along those line. The only real difference was that our targets were regulated so that a full power .38 special was the minimum caliber that would reliably fell the targets.

I would say that you could buy the shotgun, rifle and two cap & ball revolvers for under $800.

I paid $99 ea for a pair of 51 navies from Cabellas. They shoot better than most of my "modern" revolvers. I've seen SxS's going for about $300 and the Winchester or Marlin rifles go for about the same.

I used to shoot CAS because I always wanted to be a cowboy and for one day a month I could be. Also, it made me a much better hunter/shooter overall. Before I shot CAS I was a lousey offhand shot. Not anymore.

I still ain't found no boots. I did see a pair by Tony Lama though that looked period. At least they make em in 13 and since I own other Tony Lamas I feel reasonably confident they will fit.

-M

one of us
posted Hide Post
You just have to look around on the Internet a little. Here's just one place for authentic, period-correct boots.

www.caboots.com

They come in sizes up to 14, too.

Russ

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link Russ. This last week at the Rose Parade I asked some of the riders who were staging in front of my house where they got their boots. They had mentioned caboots but I was spelling it wrong. This was the group riding with Phil Spangenberger but I never saw him. The lady I spoke with was darned nice though. She walked her horse right over so my 1 year old could pet him.

The shotgun boots seem like a good deal.

Thanks,

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup, real nice folks.

I'd sure love to see Phil and gang riding/competing. I think MCAS would be the ultimate blast.

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
I intend to make at least one shoot by this spring just to check it out. But like everything else here in the armpit of texas, you don't do anything without at least a 2 hour drive each way [Frown]

By serious, I more or less meant someone who puts considerable time and effort into it, and intends to stay for a spell. Not the gifted few who just seem to amaze anyone (wish I were good at something).

I used to have an Iver Johnson 45 colt, that would be a good start I guess. But still, the money needed is at the top of my budget. I get $1500 every year to play with, and I've spent $800 of this year's allowance already. I still have to buy components for IHMSA, and I really would like to get in on a hunting lease i found (maybe). Then of course my wife will need a setup...hey, maybe I can use her $1500? [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Yep! I got into CAS last year & joined SASS. Our possie has put CAS towards a thinking shooting game. Great fun....... [Big Grin]

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Up here in Canada cowboy action is the fastest growing shooting sport going. It's fun, fun, and more fun. Agree with all above comments. Keep it simple, great bunch of cow girls and cowpokes and most of all, try and stay away from those gamesmen who have to win and nothing else matters. Here, they use light loads, pump actions and expensive tricked up tuned guns in order to win. I say---just play the game as it was orginally layed out and have fun, enjoy the people and above all be safe.

Posts: 11 | Location: Calgary.Alberta, Canada | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote