THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FUN SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Fun Shooting    Building a safe back stop for shooting range
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a safe back stop for shooting range
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am setting up an back stop for my shooting range.
Plan is to build back stop out of 18 inch long logs of various hardwoods, stack 5 feet high by 8 feet long. I will be shooting downhill into the back stop with 22 to 35 Whelen. What are the chances of a bullet deflecting off the wood and going astray ? Distance is 80 yrds and I would be approx 30 feet higher than the backstop.

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ricochets off hard surfaces are always a possibility.

Have you considered just using a target frame in front of a large mound of sand (or clean fill)?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George
Yes I have. My problem in building a mound is that I cannot access with a vehicle so I would have to hire a backhoe and their probably not going to go down the hill, tough to get back up.
I am looking at building a smaller sand filled
box at the base of the back stop. I can get a small amount of sand from the creek, rest I will have to carry down the hill. I am in North Carolina, come on over and help and I will fix ya some good ole Oklahoma BBQ

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mmmm, I love BBQ!

Perhaps you can add some old tires in front of the logs to reduce the chance of ricochets.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leaning more toward sand bags. I think I can use my deer slide to move them to the bottom and its a short carry to the back stop. Had thought about the 55 gal plastic barrels but they worry me because of shape. I do have to large bags full of poly bags I use as archery targets, doubt they would slow a bullet. I'll figure it out. Think I will fix some bbq hot wings this weekend, so ya'll come on over.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a question, if you have a hill that is so steep as to challenge a backhoe why not use that hill as your backstop?

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Logs or old tires make a very poor backstop. If you can't get a dozer down there to build a suitable backstop you might be better off to just forget about it, unless you're way out in the sticks without any nearby neighbors. Getting sued because projectiles are leaving your property is not a viable option.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote