THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FUN SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Fun Shooting    "strike anywhere" wooden matches
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"strike anywhere" wooden matches
 Login/Join

posted
We were in charge of putting on the shoot at a rendezvous with black powder guns. I hadn't seen it done, but heard you could light a wooden match by shooting the tip. So we put them out at about 15 yds and had ALOT of shooters shooting at them. (all open sights) I got to see two people light them. It was cool and will do it again sometime but would like to try it with my scoped .22 or some other modern stuff.
Also poker chips on a string. playing cards turned sideways in a slot cut into a board.(cut them off)
Feathers poked into holes drilled in a board. Or drinking straws in holes. Paint balls hot glued onto a paper plate. Marshmello inside a bagle shoot out the marshmello. Have fun. Brent

Posts: 23 | Location: Bemidji MN | Registered: 29 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's interesting. I'd like to try that with my pellet gun, but it's hard to find strike anywhere matches. They don't seem to have them at Walmart. Where do you get them?

Plinker603

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hey, if it would work, you could hang some firecrackers above the match. That'd be fun. I've shot firecrackers before but they didn't do anything.

Plinker

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

That's interesting. I'd like to try that with my pellet gun, but it's hard to find strike anywhere matches. They don't seem to have them at Walmart. Where do you get them?

Plinker603

I've seen them from time to time in hardware stores and fireplace shops. You might even find them in a "mom & pop" grocery store.

Here is a site that has them.

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link Eshell. Learn something new every day. It says lighting a match and then blowing it out will mask unpleasant odors.... My half bath doesn't have an exhaust fan; i could get a box of matches and stick in there. But how to tactfully tell people to light a match when they're done?? hummmmm...Maybe unscrew the lightbulb and say light is broken, please light a match.
That might be better to try in some else's bathroom first.

Plinker

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Thanks for the link Eshell. Learn something new every day. It says lighting a match and then blowing it out will mask unpleasant odors.... My half bath doesn't have an exhaust fan; i could get a box of matches and stick in there. But how to tactfully tell people to light a match when they're done?? hummmmm...Maybe unscrew the lightbulb and say light is broken, please light a match.

That might be better to try in some else's bathroom first.

Plinker

We build custom homes and I learned this awhile back from our upscale clientele. At first, I wondered why a non-smoker would keep a book of matches on the toilet tank. The classier ones have some sort of "designer" matches, or matches from a swank establishment. I saw one book that said "Rosebud". Even with all that breeding and money, they must still generate unpleasant odors from time to time.

Dunno how to get the message across to guests, residents can receive a memo.

I would suggest keeping a safe distance from the source of the unpleasant odor before striking the match, as to avoid a personal explosion.

{edit} I guess it goes without saying that you must not use your air rifle to light matches in the powder room.

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Unstable
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Plinker603

camping supply stores.

they are big with campers as you dont need a striker strip to light them when out in the middle of nowhere....

Posts: 201 | Location: NJ, USA | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

But how to tactfully tell people to light a match when they're done

Ah, just leave a little 22 revolver above the toilet.
They'll get the picture.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My father in law had a hired hand who could light matches consistantly at 50ft with his old beat up 22 sinlge shot. He always placed the matches himself and he always used his own rifle. Most guys wound up betting against him only once.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Just checked back... sorry for missin the reply.
I just get them at a hardware/ farm supply store. But the camping store was a great idea. have fun. Brent

Posts: 23 | Location: Bemidji MN | Registered: 29 September 2003Reply With Quote