New
Find
Notify
Tools

icicle hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We used to take Christmas vacation in the Catskill Mountains of NY state at a cabin we used to have on the south side of the Pepacton reservoir.

One of my favorite childhood memories is bringing out a couple of single shot 22 LR rifles (one was a Savage 22/410, the other was a single shot long barreled Erma bolt action).

My Dad and my brother would bring a blanket and a box of 22's up the mountain and find some rock structures that had some water springs dripping (on the rocks). The water froze to form a reactive shooting gallery. Pick an icicle and bust it. It breaks and falls.

It was a great time lying on the blanket on top of the snow, shooting with my borther and father. We had a Marlin 39A, which was great too, but it was best with the single shots. I think it was because we could make a box or two of 22's last longer. It was just more time spent shooting with my Dad-something that I wish I could've increased. I'll never forget how great a time we had.

I'm sure we got cold, prone in the snow blanker-but I never remembered that, nor felt it.

Hope you have the chance to share that type of "quality time" with your childres.

GREAT time and memories. Pass it on.

one of us
posted Hide Post
beer

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote