Find
Notify
Tools

Help with Class III Mac 10
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted
I bought a Mac 10 a few years ago and didn't get a manual or instruction how to use it.

With a magazine in the well, how do you get the bolt to cycle/come down on a round in the chamber without pulling the trigger? It is quite an adventure when in full auto. It does stop and stay cocked when you release the trigger. I'm only having trouble with the first shell.

Does anyone know where I can get a manual for the Mac 10 (and an Uzi for that matter)?

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I understand what you are saying ... you DON'T EVER do that!

The firing pin is machined into the bolt face. If the bolt is lowered on a live round, a simple jar may put enough pressure on the primer of the round in the chamber to fire it.

The actuator (bolt handle) turns to the side to lock the bolt in place when open to act as a second safety.

The closest you can come to a hot but "safe" weapon is the bolt down on an empty chamber. That is, empty the weapon and allow the bolt to fall. Then put a loaded magazine into the weapon. Just do not drop the gun from any height. If the gun were to fall on its rear end, the bolt could move back far enough to strip a round out of the mag and fire it when it closes.

Be careful with this one. Open bolt guns should be used with an abundance of caution.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike. I didn't know that. I guess it's better to play with the M16 or the Uzi instead.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FMC,

UZI is also an open bolt gun. It's top cover has some ability to decelerate bolt movement resulting from a drop. But it too is not immune from the problems of an open bolt gun.

BTW, the classic problem of the open bolt subgun is that even when the bolt is open, if the gun falls hard enough the bolt can (in some designs) pop over the sear holding it. The result is BANG.

The M16 is, of course, a closed bolt gun (except for the relatively rate Colt M16 LMG version). Cocked and locked is safer if dropped.

Buzzguns are fun ... but some have slightly different problems than the weapons most of us are familiar with.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly the Thompson SMG and the Sten are also open bolt guns. Be careful out there.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
UZI is also an open bolt gun. It's top cover has some ability to decelerate bolt movement resulting from a drop

More precisely, there is a ratchet type sliding bar actuated by the cocking lever, it has been designed to catch the bolt in the event the operator releases the cocking lever before the bolt is fully at the rear engaging its notch.
It is not used as drop safety but prohibits the bolt to chamber a round when released accidentally.

And beware, there are some closed bolt UZI carbines converted to select fire in US...

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trade it in for a HK MP5 which fires from a closed bolt !!! One of the few that do. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
If I remember correctly the Thompson SMG and the Sten are also open bolt guns. Be careful out there.

You remember correctly.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep that open-bolt MAC. They are collector's items. A gun is made open-bolt to keep it from cooking off a round after repeated use, as well as for having fewer moving parts (which can fail at a most inopportune moment). I like 'em...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote