New
Find
Notify
Tools

CHEAP REACTIVE TARGETS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Take medium size balloons and using a funnel put two tablespoons of white flour in balloon.

Blow up balloons and place down range.

Commence firing

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Especially good if they are hung in the breeze so they swing around.
For better shots, Necco wafers are fun.

Put your nose to the grindstone, your belly to the ground, and your shoulder to the wheel. Now try to work in that position!

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Try filling them with helium and shoot them on the rise.

I was @ a traditional archery shoot one time and they did this.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks I'll do that at our next shoot, should be a good laugh.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to shoot fruit. It's great fun to watch an apple, orange, or etc. hit with a high vel varmint bullet. Can you say "fruit salad"! Grapes are good for the better shooters. A stroll down the grocers produce asile will open your eyes to many new possibilites.
Don't forget you can also go "Big Game Hunting" with a box of animal crackers.
Please note all the above are bio / eco friendly target materials, they don't require pick up when your are done.
many other possibilites.
muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
bowling pins

One of Us
posted Hide Post
blowtorch bottles?? Just kidding. Saw a video of a 20lb tank getting hit with an AK.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't forget you can also go "Big Game Hunting" with a box of animal crackers.

clap That has to be the cheapest big game hunting on the planet...

Regards

Posts: 290 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have a Thanksgiving turkey shoot every year at the store. We are in town so we shoot in the warehouse at animal crackers with air rifles. We start at 15ft and move 5ft back until you miss. 1st year we had a 4 way shoot off at 60ft. The crackers are very spectacular when hit.
One of the ROs at the range talkes about a egg shoot around Easter. That should be interesting.

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rob Crandall
posted Hide Post
These are some great games to play. I have been looking for games like this to do with my son. He's 13 right now and I'm trying to get him to slow down and concentrate on improving his accuracy. Things like this really help. Keep em coming!

Posts: 27 | Location: Nerk Ohio | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron, me and the kids have shot full soda pop cans, bars of soap, super balls (if you can find them) cans of spray paint sitting on a sheet of plywood and golf ball when getting in a round of pasture pool. All with 22rf. We have a great time.

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rob Crandall
posted Hide Post
That sounds fun Dick. Our games have to be played at the range. They are fairly easy going but pasture pool is pretty much out of the question. Its a shame cause it sounds like it would be fun to sit on the top bank of a dried pond and shoot the ball around.

Posts: 27 | Location: Nerk Ohio | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm looking to find a target that will rotate out of the way when first hit, then slowly rotate back into view in about as much time as it takes to cycle the bolt and reacquire the target. I know LaRue makes one that does this, but I can't see spending $1500 on one. There must be a better way. Any suggestions?

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RobinB
posted Hide Post
Click here to watch The-End-of-Halloween

Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac? He stayed up all night wondering if there's a dog.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best re-active target I have seen is ...

the neighbors cat. The .22 hollow point does a number on them.

Posts: 10203 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Texasnimrod1960
posted Hide Post
I like the bio-friendly idea.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

one of us
posted Hide Post
There's allwas got to be ome. Roll Eyes

Anyway the Helium balloons with flour, are brilliant, I tied a string to em, and made a little holder with two eye screws and a nail with a long string on it, so I could let them go down range. We were shooting them with airguns, like clay pigeons but harder cause everybody is laughing too hard to shoot properly.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charcoal on top of golf tee's

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Brach's candies on top of golf tees @ 50 yards is fun and cheap.

You can hang them in their wrappers from clothes pins glued to a piece of scrap plywood or particle board. Sometimes it takes several hits to knock them off.

Tees and clothes pins are available at the dollar store or WalMart.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill Adams
posted Hide Post
My shooting buddy and I shoot golf balls hung up on a piece of wire strung between to posts. I drill a small hole in the golf balls and put i n an eye screw, then I hang the balls on the wire with a piece of wire about 12 in. long. We shoot from 300 yds with our varmint rigs. Sometimes the golf ball will get blown off with the first hit, but many times they will last for 2 or 3 shots. They will swing around and around the wire with a solid hit if they don't come apart. A dozen or so balls will last for about an hour. We also hang 3/4 in. washers from the wire, they work well also. I also have a spotting board there to mark shots. BA

Arkansas football will rise again!

Posts: 617 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 22 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We shoot mountain dew bottles since they are a good contrast to most open sights. I hang them with 18" of bell wire which lasts a lot longer than string. If it gets too easy for you...shoot the white caps off the bottles.

They have survived about a 1000 rounds of CB caps out of my Rem Model 24 or Model 12. They also hold up to 17 HM2 at a 100 yds pretty well.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
We have an annual 200 yard egg shoot at our range. Charcoal briquettes work well too.

Walk softly and carry a big bore!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Murf
posted Hide Post
For an egg shoot be sure to place them in the hot sun hours before the shoot. Then allow a competitor to swallow a raw egg in order to stay in the match. In order to get over it quickly some like myself will speed the process and end up with half down their neck rather than throat. Sticky goo for the rest of the day.

Beer can buddy is a muzzleloader game. Two man teams consisting of a rifle man and a MZ shotgunner. Target is an empty beer can....it almost always ends up being a soda can.... placed on top of a another can that has been filled with water. The rifle man must hit the bottom, full can, to launch the empty which becomes the shot gunners target. Sometimes a hit on the bottom results in a flop but usually it will launch the top can 8 to 10 feet making for a very challenging shotgun target since there is no way of knowing if it will go straight up or to either side. Once in a while a .54 ball will push the empty up to 40 feet or more.

Posts: 14361 | Location: Sask. Canada | Registered: 04 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
CHEAP REACTIVE TARGETS

Well there prairie dogs of course. thumb

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
bowling pins

Probably not as cheap, but for big bore shooters, I would suggest bowling balls. I was able to load 45-70 rounds that would do it in my #3 but COAL is too much to put in a magazine-fed gun.

All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
--Niels Bohr

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
Charcoal brickets and golf balls are both good options.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I heard somebody on another site mention aol disks Not trying to hit though. Instead try to shoot the hole in the middle. I thought it sounded neat. I can't wait to get the chance to take this stack of free targets (disks) they keep sending me out and try it.

Posts: 3 | Location: Bloomington, IN | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ONe thing i have always wanted to try

Get a PVC pipe that is about 12ga in diameter (see where im going). Place a loaded 12ga shotshell in it, try to shoot the primer and get the shotshell to go off.

Those balloons sounds fun too.

Posts: 29 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Cans of the cheapest shaving cream from Wally-World!
Also 30# propane cylinder @ 400yds with M-1 and tracers!!

if it dosent burn gunpowder, diesel fuel or gasoline, it's of no interest to me!

Posts: 7 | Location: beatrice nebraska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Personally I like cats myself. They always react upon impact.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill Adams
posted Hide Post
We have been shootig clay targets at my 200 yd. range with 22's. I put a 6x18 Lupy on my Ruger 10-22 and my shooting buddy has the same scope on his Marlin. We will scatter about 40 or so targets around on a steep hill and atempt to make hits from 200 yds. We have to call our shots and take turns shooting at the same target till one of us hits it. We keep score and a hit is a point, a miss counts nothing, and if you hit a wrong target it is a point off. We always shoot 10 shots each time and we may break 1,2, or 3 targets or so out of 20 shots. The neat thing about this shooting is that you can often see your bullet rainbow into the hill, you can only see it for an instant. Much fun and cheap. 550 count bulk 22's at WalMarks are $9.00, A box of targets will last about 3 afternoons of shooting. Smiler

Arkansas football will rise again!

Posts: 617 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 22 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
try bowling pins at 50 yards with a double action .22 revolver. each contestant shoots til missing, most out of 20 wins. my best is 14 in a row. its a hoot. clay pigeons at 400 yards standing with a .22 rifle is a challenge also.

Posts: 6 | Location: wenatchee | Registered: 09 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There wasn't any shooting with this but the boom across the northside of town brought all kinds of red & blue lights.

Had a mentally rejected buddy that came over one day with one of those big rubber balloons. Wanted me to fill it up with acetylene. So I did.

Middle of the night the sky turned red and the explosion knocked half this end of town out of their beds. Soon as I heard it, I knew Jimmer was the culprit!

He'd tied a blasting cap with about 2-3' of fuse that burned a foot per minute. Tied on another balloon the same size filled with helium so it'd take it up in the air good and quick. He said it was at least 300 ft up before it went off.

Sure was loud and made a write up in the paper they were still investigating what it was a week later.

At today's price's the gas alone would cost ten bucks. He's since moved to Vegas, so IF this happened/happens out there, you guys in the know can fill in the blanks.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5947 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
We used to fill several gallon milk jugs with water and put them on a side of a hill at 300 yds. We would shoot them with wour hunting rifles for a tuneup before deer hunting season

Posts: 18 | Location: centeral US | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
One word: Tannerite.

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Came upon this idea today after almost thoriwng out a bunch of corroded and mysetry primers.

What about attatching them to a piece of cardboard in the shape of a circle, sort of like a shiny metallic bullseye.

When you shoot the bullseye, I would think the impact of a bullet would set them off.

Otherwise I was thinking of putting a handful in a small pill bottle and then shooting the pill bottle with hopefully the same results.

What do you think?

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Exploding primers sling shrapnel pretty far; just be sure to be at least 100 yds away. we used to buy a can of black powder and put enough in a beer can to make the primer density high enough that a hit anywher would hit a primer. Actually, it was percussion caps, not primers but it ought to workthe same.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tony R
posted Hide Post
I put either food coloring or old jello mix in jugs, and either freez or leave thawed. The frozen jug usually gives you the pink mist effect a few times while you only get one good misting from the non frozen.

Posts: 75 | Location: vancouver wa. | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Had a mentally rejected buddy that came over one day with one of those big rubber balloons. Wanted me to fill it up with acetylene. So I did.

Middle of the night the sky turned red and the explosion knocked half this end of town out of their beds. Soon as I heard it, I knew Jimmer was the culprit!

He'd tied a blasting cap with about 2-3' of fuse that burned a foot per minute. Tied on another balloon the same size filled with helium so it'd take it up in the air good and quick. He said it was at least 300 ft up before it went off.

Sure was loud and made a write up in the paper they were still investigating what it was a week later.

At today's price's the gas alone would cost ten bucks. He's since moved to Vegas, so IF this happened/happens out there, you guys in the know can fill in the blanks.

I did this on the job years ago filling a condom with acetylene and throwing a cigarette at it... I only did it once.

knocked us all flat on our cans. ah, youth...

last year I wanted to put a welding rod through a golfball so I could hang it and have it moving a bit to simulate shooting at a turkey's head with a 17 HMR.

I drilled the ball, got about halfway through and got a shot in the eye with some liquid in the ball's center, smelled like cat piss.

wiped myself up, turned the ball over, drilled, and did it again.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
Cats + Ballistic Tips. Pieces are pieces, parts are parts stir

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote