New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moly, or No Moly?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Moly, or no moly? What do you all think for a new hunting rifle. What do you all think of moly coating vs/ the x-bullet.

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
<gone hunting>
posted
moly yes
x no

------------------
Death Before Dishonor

<Multi Vis>
posted
If your going to be shooting that new hunting rifle many thousands of rounds a year then I would say YES do the moly,but if its a hundered or less a year then NO,it would be more trouble than its worth.
The coating on the X bullets is belived to be some sort of teflon coating and have heard that it does cut down on fouling,the way the X bullets foul a barrel they need it! Could never get the uncoated X bullets to shoot well in anything I own and dont see where the coating is going to change that.
MV

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
No to both.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Blueowl>
posted
No to both. If you moly be sure that you use Bortec's "Moly Magic" to clean well, expecially if you are going to shoot other than once a year.

------------------
No nation shall be both ignorant and free-it never was-and never will be.

<Reloader66>
posted
Moly is just one more problem injected into the accuracy equasion. I find no advantage using the black so called better accuracy long interval cleaning black gunk by some shooters. Some claim longer barrel life but no concrete proof is documented. The peak accuracy life of any bore is about 1000 to 1500 rounds.
If Moly would transform any rifle into a one hole shooting machine that never needed cleaned I would use the stuff. Since it does not, and in many cases causes problems after continued use why use the stuff. It is for the shooter who likes to tinker with something that ain't broke.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is your rifle.

This is your rifle after moly OR X.

Just say no.

[This message has been edited by KuduKing (edited 02-11-2002).]

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote