Find
Notify
Tools

Federal match primers....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bill Adams
posted
I have been loading Federal match primers in my 22-250 and 220 Swift. The gun shop were I buy stuff is out of them, but they have some CCI benchrest primers. I have used every primer but the CCI benchrest, and I always came back to the Federal match. Will they shoot about the same? I know some of you have tested one against the other. Thoughts?

------------------
I may be from Arkansas, but I never voted for Bill Clinton!

Posts: 617 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 22 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rather than change brands, I'd stick with the Federal standard (Red box) primers.

I was using the Federal GM primers till my supply dried up and was forced to use the regular primers and couldn't tell any difference. The Match primers are just made to better standards, not any hotter. I don't know how the CCI primers rate.

Good luck, Joe.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
The CCI BR primers are some of the best, in my opinion. CCI BR's work especially well with Varget.

The CCI's are not as hot as the Federals you've been using. You may need to tweak the powder charge to get the same POI.

I agree with the above advice. The regular Fed 210's would have come the closest to duplicating your load.

But the CCI BR's may become a pleasant surprise for you. My most accurate loads use these primers.

green 788

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Agree with posters suggesting standard 210's. My understanding from sources at Federal some time back, is that the primers all come off the same line. The match primers are subjected to one more undescribed step of quality control. That may be weighing and uniforming them, something you can do yourself with the 210's.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green 788:
The CCI's are not as hot as the Federals you've been using.

Upon what is this statement based? How does one measure how "hot" a primer is??? I'd like to know.

Thanks for the info,
RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill Adams
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys, I'm going to try some of the CCI br's in some test loads, and my gun shop has some regular Fed. primers. Thanks, BA

------------------
I may be from Arkansas, but I never voted for Bill Clinton!

Posts: 617 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 22 November 2001Reply With Quote