New
Find
Notify
Tools

pressure to seal case
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted
let's say in 458 win.. what pressure is a good rule of thumb for the necks to stop being smoked?

IIRC, that's generally 38-40k psi... but I wanted to double check

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39721 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not know about a streight case like a .458 but I shoot some pretty high pressure loads in bench rest shooting, and do not remember any case not having residue on it. If I had to guess, I would say that the point that you stop smoking necks would be one grain more powder then it takes to blow up your gun.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Beyer,
thanks for the post... on straight necks and nitro express rounds, we are talking a thick black smoke, not smudge...

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39721 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I get residue on necks with full house 60k+ loads.

I get resudue on shoulders and bodies of cases and figure that is when I am not getting a seal, and stop reducing loads accodingly. That usually happens somewhere in the 2/3-3/4 of max powder charge ('06 and WSM based calibers). What PSI that converts to is only a guess...

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
It depends on the case thickness and the burn rate of the powder.

Using Quickload estimates, Lapua brass seals at something like 40 to 45,000 PSI in my gun.

My 223WSSM with heavy bullets and Magnum seals rather close to maximum loads (55,000psi, estimated), with the BR-2 primer. Using the 210 seals those loads two grains earlier. FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote