Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much case stretch is normal?
 Login/Join

posted
Here is the scenario. I take a box of 30-06 Federal Classics, and shoot them all. I go home and full size the cases, then I trim them down to 2.484. I reloaded them and I shoot again, on average how much case stretch is normal after resizing that 2.484 cartridge? What should my new length after shooting and resizing be? I am looking for norms so that I know if I fall in a safe range.

Thanks,

Claude

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Let your cases grow to max lenght before you trim. The max for the `06 is 2.494. Trimming every time the case is longer than min lenght serves no purpose.
You will always have some strecth when you resize fired cases, it can`t be helped. The amount will vary according to the amount of sizeing done. ie how tight your chamber is and how much your die has to size it back down. The neck expander also will stretch your cases when it makes it`s pass back through. I have a 270 that is tight and I size cases every 6-7 fireings, and a 6.5 swede needs trimming almost every time.
Try neck sizeing if you want to limit growth. It works the brass much less then FL sizeing and can improve your cartridges accuracy in most cases.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Can anyone tell me what is the minimum trim length of the 30-06 cartridge.

Claude

one of us
posted Hide Post
Post deleted by ScottS

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As others have pointed out it's the condition of the chamber that effects how much the case will grow. The dies matter also and so does the lube one uses inside the neck.

The die with the least growth will be the Lee Collet die. If there is any chance that you might use neck sized only rounds even some of the time one should use these dies for neck sizing.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I switched over to Wilson NS and Redding bushing NS dies some time ago. For what it's worth I rarely have to trim cases anymore. I never really had a good grasp on this issue. My range is 130 miles away so I usually take 6 or 7 rifles with me and make a day of it. Sometimes I'd find it necessary to trim my 7mm Rem.Mag., sometimes the .308Win.
Other times it would be my .243Win. or still another caliber. I always check them for size when reloading, and it was rarely the same caliber cases that had grown. Now the problem is minimal. I suspect the expander might have been lengthing the cases a bit. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote