THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New brass resize before reloading or not?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Guys:

I always resize my brass before using, but is it necessary? I just got new 470 Nitro Express brass that I am reloading, do I have to resize before I load? Probably dumb question huh...

Regards Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I don't think it's a silly question at all.

While I don't normally completely re-size new cartridge cases I do pop 'em over the expander ball to ensure the cases mouths are round.

While doing this yesterday with a new batch of W-W Super .22 Hornet brass noticed they did require a complete F/L sizing to get them all uniform. Ya just never know.....

I've never loaded a 470 NE cartridge though but now that I think about it would F/L re-size the cases to ensure there is enough bullet tension, see if the mouths need squaring up because the finished cartridges probably require a solid crimp?

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
It's not necessary but a good idea nonetheless. Especially in the smaller calibers, case mouths are often dented and out-of-round.

Now, in the case of Lapua and Nosler, that brass is generally ready to load right out of the box.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
do I have to resize before I load?

Well, think of it this way; Right now, it may or may not be the same dimensions. If you FL size it, it will be the same dimensions. Easy to do and won't cost much. Why not just do it?

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Jim you will know after loading if off slightly you will not be able to close the double..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
It is best to size new brass to at the very least fix all the dings in the mouths of the case's.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys:

I put the new shells on the Forster case trimmer, they were all almost exact, and what the hell I loaded up eight rounds without resizing them. I tried them in the double and they are fine.

The damn dacron filler is a pain in the ass though. Smiler

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PAHunter:

The damn dacron filler is a pain in the ass though. Smiler

Regards... Jim P.

??what is dacron filler??

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to hijack the thread...but Dacron filler is just a wad of fluffy cotton like material-dacron that is put in some shells, mainly LARGE ones that don't get filled all the way up with powder....this keeps the powder against the flash of the primer and keeps the burn more consistant over the powder laying along the bottom of the big shell and the flame igniting the larger area on one shell over the other shells in the batch/gun...makes the point of impact consistant and avoid pressure spikes in the spread out powder shells.....the dacron is light and fluffy ....not much weight....just volunme.....hth..good luck and good shooting-loading!!

bigdaddytacp

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bigdaddy:

Thanks for the splain... I couldn't of said it better myself.

Regards.. Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Those of you considering using a "Filler" might want to go over to the GunSmith Board and use the "Find" Button at the top of the page. Do a Find on the word bulge and you can see why a lot of folks are reluctant to use them - including me. You can also try "Chamber Ring", but I just did the one.

Not all of them are associated with Fillers, but there was considerable discussion about it back in the `50s & `60s in the NRA magazines. I find it easier on my mind to just use the proper "Bulky" Powder which is designed for this use.

Best of luck to you all.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I neck-size and trim to recommended length.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I run a mandrel into the neck to straight out kinks. Running new brass into a sizing die does almost nothing to change the brass as it's already down to minimum size.
It's been my findings that you are better off doing the accurizing on the brass after the first firing.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I always do just because nothing in new brass is uniform.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I full length resize new brass.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote