THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

List of Interchangeable Wilson Shell Holders?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Wilson case trimmers use cartridge-specific, bushing-type, shell holders.

At $9 to $12 each, a person can tie up a bit of money in shell-holders alone, if he has very many rifles.

Because I am frugal (cheap?), I like to make do with whatever will work satisfactorily, and many Wilson shell holders work well for casings different than those for which they are labeled.

As an example: In the last three weeks, I have needed to trim a batch of 9,3x74R brass. I do not have a Wilson shell holder for that 9,3 case, so I called them to order one.

The lady was very nice, but she told me they had never heard of the 9,3x74R and wanted to know what it was(??!). I told her it was a rifle cartridge which had been around for the better part of a century. Then she told me, "Well, we don't make it, don't have the dimensions, and no one has ever ordered one from us!"

But, she added, of course they would be willing to make me a "custom" one. I didn't even ask the price on that, as they wanted $11.00 for a plain old .45 Colt shell-holder I ordered at the same time.

Instead,after I finished with the rest of my order I got out the several drawers full of Wilson shell-holders I already have, and started trying an empty 9,3 case in them.

Bingo. A .30-40 Krag shell-holder works okay, and a .303 British shell holder works even better.

So, that brings us to this question: Does anyone know of a comprehensive list anywhere of which Wilson shell holders can be used on which cases? I've never seen one, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if such a list is common as dirt among some shooters.

If there isn't such a list, would it be worth putting one together here?

(BTW, went through the same thing with her regards the .22 Ackley Hornet. Finally convinced her that the one they DO list for the .17 Ackley Hornet would be just the ticket for my .22 Ackley Hornet, and she sent it.

Naturally, as it only holds the body of the case, not the neck, it works perfectly. But can you imagine any loading tool firm that's been around for over 55 years claiming they never heard of the .22 Ackley Hornet?) Old "Sam" must be rolling over in his grave.....

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you had gotten past reception to one of the machinist you would got all your questions answered. There is a good list in the Sinclair International catalog that you can check online.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A coupll that I know of besides what is on their list.

.284 Winchester & 45/70
7.65 Mauser and 6.5X55

You can calculate the body taper from the cartridge drawings and compare cartridges.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ireload2:
A couple that I know of besides what is on their list.

.284 Winchester & 45/70
7.65 Mauser and 6.5X55

You can calculate the body taper from the cartridge drawings and compare cartridges.

I agree, one could use the cartridge drawings, but not everyone has them.

Tell you what, if anyone wants to contribute any odd-balls they know of, such as you have graciously done, I'll compile whatever we gather up over the next few days, and post the list here on AR. Then later we can add to it, if it proves of use to anyone.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's another one: 7.5 Swiss & .284 Winchester

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:

The 284 has a .473 case head just like the 30.06 and 308 class of cartridges

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have a lathe with a 5C collet and a collet stop you can use the Wilson case holders to hold formed cases while they are parted to length.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:

True, the rim is the same diameter as those cases based on the '06 case. But, the case head of the .284 is bigger diameter than the '06 series of cartridges. And, the taper is different...that's how come you can get about the same amount of powder in a .284 case as in a longer '06 case....it is bigger diameter and doesn't taper as much.

Also, Wilson shell holders for their trimmers do not hold the cases by their rims, but are bushings which fit around the bodies of he cases. So, a .284 case will not fit into a Wilson '06 shell-holder far enough for the neck to stick out a convenient amount to be trimmed. Wilson makes their case holders not only of different diameters and tapers from cartridge to cartridge, but of different lengths, too. So, some just work better than others for certain uses.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ireload2:
If you have a lathe with a 5C collet and a collet stop you can use the Wilson case holders to hold formed cases while they are parted to length.

True. I use a D-4 collet-chuck and rubber-flex collets in my next-to-smallest available lathe (have sets of both Jacobs and B&S) for the same purpose. The same lathe is very handy to make clones of Wilson shell-holders too, but if one's time is worth anything, it may really be cheaper to buy the ones they stock.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:

True, the rim is the same diameter as those cases based on the '06 case. But, the case head of the .284 is bigger diameter than the '06 series of cartridges. And, the taper is different...that's how come you can get about the same amount of powder in a .284 case as in a longer '06 case....it is bigger diameter and doesn't taper as much.

Also, Wilson shell holders for their trimmers do not hold the cases by their rims, but are bushings which fit around the bodies of he cases. So, a .284 case will not fit into a Wilson '06 shell-holder far enough for the neck to stick out a convenient amount to be trimmed. Wilson makes their case holders not only of different diameters and tapers from cartridge to cartridge, but of different lengths, too. So, some just work better than others for certain uses.

Cool, I learn something new everyday. I didn't know that the Wilson case holders worked that way, Thanks.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Negative Perspiration <Grin>!

The Wilson system is an interesting one. The bushings/shell-holders are round stock, same exterior diameter for all cases. The round stock is suspended (and thereby centered) on and partially between two round steel rods when actually in the trimmer. The case being trimmed, of course, is centered in the bushing, so everything is centered.

The major advantage, I suspect, is that the bushing can't tip if held down against the rods, so neither can the case tip, and the ends are thus cut more or less perfectly square. Sinclair and others sell case-trimmer holders which hold the whole rig and hold the bushing firmly against the rods when the trimmer is in operation.

The case also can't tip in the shell-holder, which means one never gets any of those funny things that can happen with typical case holders for some other makes of trimmers.

Another advantage is that one doesn't have any pilot running in and out of the case neck, so there is nothing to change the neck tension of a case which may have already been outside neck-turned and fire-formed prior to length trimming.

As you can see, benchresters like this kind of tool....it lets them keep everything tickety-poo while getting the exact length they want.

The major down-side, of course, is the cost of having lots of different shell-holders.....