New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm STW
 Login/Join

<rlineb>
posted
one question,myself and another fellow both possess a remington 700BDL-detachable magazine-with factory installed muzzle break,thing is we're both getting around 3600fps with 150gr. Nosler ballistic tip,using remington brass(neck size only),Fed.215 mag. primers and a dosage of 76.5 grains to near 80 grains of Re-22,i load mine touching to near touching the rifling,no readily shown pressure signs.everyone i've read about in different forums have said they can get these speeds with anything of that weight in the STW,just curious of everyone's input and opinions...a fluke or what?course i used to have a rem.700 in 3006,used 165gr. nosler ballistic tips with the case(neck sized only) packed to the top with imr4350,fed215 primers,(have to look and see what kind of cases they were)and i was getting well over 3100fps,i think 3160 something or another,no excess pressure signs(only reason didn't load more powder no more would fit in the case)...any thoughts on these matters would be good,i think i've been quite lucky(maybe good or bad)or one hell of a fluke....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Are these chronographed or not? If you're getting the velocities you mentioned out of the stw or 30-06 then you're running some pretty high pressures, well above the SAAMI ratings. I wouldn't shoot either of those loads. You can get 3200 fps out of a 30-30 if you pack it with the right powder but that doesn't mean it's safe. As several posters who own pressure testing equipment have posted, indications of pressure on brass cases often don't show up until you're well over 80,000 psi. 3600 with a 150 gr bullet out of a 7mm stw in a factory barrel is too hot, especially with RL22. It would probably be reasonable if you're talking a slower powder with a 30" custom barrel but not a 26" factory one. Likewise 3160 out of a 30-06 with 165 gr bullets is too hot also, unless it's got an exceptionally long barrel.

<rlineb>
posted
yes,these were chronographed,no sticky extraction,no show of extractor marks,easy to resize(neck size only),alittle primer flattening(on some loads) but nothing to what i've seen to be dangerous..the 3006,165 loads blew my mind,but its been a few years since i loaded for it,but they did surely "clock"over 3100fps...a fluke possibly..with the 3006 imr4350 powder filled the case to the top,heard the crunch of the powder as i seated the bullets.the other fellow also chrono'ed his 150gr.ballistic tips out of the STW,he also stated that every deer he shot got no exit wound and the bullet exploded in the lung cavity,course he didn't load his out to the lands and grooves as i tried,which do kinda show some excess pressure so i back them in a bit into the case,cant load any of these into the magazine due to over all length,same with the old '06,had to and have to single load these into rifle...Who knows?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I suggest you check your chronograph screen spacings.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Eric Leonard>
posted
a 7 RUM ive been playing with ran out of gas at 3550 with a 140.so an STW with 150s at 3600 would scare me.

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
I ran this whole scenerio past quick load.
Quick load is not always right but what I'm getting does make sense. It says that 80 grains should give you 65,323 psi--which is why you probably stopped there. It predicts the velocity with that load in a 26" barrel to be 3321 fps. It says to get 3600 you'd have to go up to 86.5 grains which would give 84,000 psi. It's possible that there is something wrong with the chrono. Please try another chrono and let us know if that velocity is confirmed?? thanks dkraky

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Move your chrony to 15-feet from the muzzle...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best load I have ever gotten out of a 7stw is 3403fps. That was with a 150 gr Swift Sirocco and a 26 " shilen Match barrel.I was also using Federal 215 primers and Reloader 25, 83.5 gr. which is Max in my rifle. Chrony 15 feet from me

Posts: 182 | Location: Okotoks, Alberta | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
The A-Square manual lists 79.0 grains of RL-22 @ 3,410 fps @ 53,300 CUP or around 63,960 psi.
There is an over max load of 80.0 grains RL-22 @ 3,463 fps @ 56,200 CUP or 67,400 psi.
The hottest load listed is with IMR-7828 of 87.7 grains @ 3,630 @ 62,200 CUP or 74,640 psi.
They were using a 26" barrel and 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip.
I would think if your chrono is accurate, to push a 150 grainer at 3,600 fps out of a 24" barrel 85,000 to 90,000 psi is not an unreasonable estimate. Never rely on "pressure signs", rely on your velocity. Once you reach listed book maxes you are there.

You are very deep into the bomb zone friend.

What address should we send the flowers too?

[This message has been edited by Roger Rothschild (edited 09-23-2001).]

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote