New
Find
Notify
Tools

steel reloading table
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm moving to a new location and have a solid steel work bench that is a very stable work area that I would like to use for reloading. Is there going to be any interference with my scales as they are magnetically dampened? If there is a difference can it be rectified by measuring a load away from the bench and then measuring the load on the bench and factoring in the difference for future loads.

Thanks
Rod

Posts: 29 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bench will make no difference in your magnetically damped scale. The scale damping works by putting to poles of a permanent magnet across a gap, and by placing a conductive "tab" on the beam, that moves in the gap. As the tab moves through the gap, currents are induced in it. These currents create a magnetic field of their own, that tends to "brake" the motion of the balance beam.

I don't think it is a problem, but you might give some thought to reloading on a large conductive surface like that. Especially if you're in a dry climate, you'll get pretty significant electrostatic discharge by touching it.... doesn't matter if it is grounded or not. The best surface for reloading is a special "conductive mat" that has high electrical resistance, so as to slowly discharge anything that comes in contact with it.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Denton
Thanks for that, perhaps I should earth out the table and put a wooden top on some of it.

Rod

Posts: 29 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
Denton
Only INSULATING materials build up static. Conductive materials do not. A "conductive mat" is one with the lowest resistance available in the particular material (usually rubber with a LOT of carbon black in it to make it conductive) which is then grounded. As for static discharges, these usually originated from non conductive articles of clothing (wool socks for example) and is conducted to your fingertips to a source of ground.
A grounded steel table would have much less likelyhood of a static problem.

As for the magnetic damping however, you are correct. The steel table will not affect it in the least. It is the induced eddy currents that result in the damping affect.

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vibe, I have to respectfully, but strongly disagree. Conductive objects can, and do, build up electrostatic charges. The globe on the top of a Van de Graff generator is one prominent example. In dry weather, large metal trucks, insulated from ground by tires, often become highly charged, and zap their drivers as they exit the cab. It is also true that a metal object with a lot of surface area will self-discharge into the air more quickly than a small one, which often gives the impression that metal objects don't get charged up.

The problem, though, is not that the table will build up a charge. The problem is that the user may build up a charge, such as by walking across a carpet. When the user then touches the large metal object (grounded or not) there is a sudden, large transfer of charge. This electric arc can ignite things.

Conductive ESD mats are designed so as to be conductive, but with lots of resistance. The charge is transferred in seconds, rather than in microseconds. That causes vastly fewer problems. That is why large metal trays are banned in ESD sensitive areas of electronic factories.

I'm reasonably sure that the reason powder comes in black plastic containers is that the containers are ESD dissipative plastic. Of course, IMR powder comes in a metal can, which forms a Farady shield around the powder, and that works well too.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<goneballistic>
posted
It has always been my understanding that steel reloading benches must be grounded, for the reasons stated in the above post. Also, I would definately cover the work surface with a non sparking, static free material, like wood.

one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
Thanks Denton. You later explaination was much better than the previous one. and one i can totaly agree with.

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote