Find
Notify
Tools

A question for members from England
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is reloading like in England.

What powders, components etc.are available to you.

Are there any restrictions.

Thanks.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Mike

Most things are available. There is a very good firm called Reloading Solutions Direct that will pretty much obtain anything you want if you are prepared to wait for it.

There is no restriction on components with two exceptions:

A licence is required to store more than a certain quantity of powder. I cannot remember how much but I did research it once and it was more than I was interested in keeping. 1894 may know.

In order to buy expanding missiles (read any non-solid or FMJ bullet) authority from the police is required and the quantity purchased is noted on your firearm licence. In my case I am entitled to buy no more than 500 expanding missiles per calibre at any one time, and they must only be used to kill deer, wild boar or vermin control and associated zeroing and practice. I can use the 500 and go back a few hours later and buy another 500 and another 500 etc. They do not want me to have more than 500 in my possession at any one time. But it is OK for me to buy 5 trillion solids or FMJ. Work that out.

The other stupid thing is that �expanding missiles� cannot be sent by mail other than special carrier. This is in case they fall into the �wrong hands�. A great bit of legislation that came in 3 or 4 years ago when Blair got in.

How does that compare with Oz?

------------------
Regards

Richard

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Richard,

We don;t have any resterictions such as you outlined.

Our only difficulty can be powders other than our own powders, which are sold in USA as Hodgdon Extreme and the Winchester ball powders.

There is occassional shipments of Alliant and Dupont.Bringing powder in yourself is a real big deal.

When we want dies, projectiles, cases etc that don't happen to be out here we just ring Huntingtons and then they are on there way out.

That sure is a funny rule about FMJs and soft points.

Can you own any caliber or must it match the game. In other words if you only shoot rabbits and foxes can you own and use a 375 or 460 Wby etc. We almost got stuck with that but were able to get rid of it.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote