New
Find
Notify
Tools

Measuring powders like IMR 4350
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a progressive loader not that it matters as far as my question goes. I bought some IMR 4350 for my 25-06. It is not powder friendly in my Dillon measure. What do you guys do when using a long grained powder that doesn't throw well? I am more or less stuck with this until the pound is gone but from what I see it is very well liked by my rifle. The groups have me hoping you people can enlighten me to a better method for using it. Thanks for any help or tips!

WS

Posts: 94 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
you may have to set the press up as a single stage.
Throw the charge a few tenths under the desired weight then use a trikler to add the remainder. I used this method for years. weighing every thing on a rcbs balance beam scale

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Powders like 4350 and 4831 don't work well in powder measures. You aren't alone with this problem. I think hivelosity has the answer for you.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just how precise are you wanting? Tim Johnsons' Quick Measure will fit on a Dillon press and will throw within +/- .2 with either 4350 or 4831. It is especially made to throw log powder. It is expensive and takes some patients and has a learning curve. I am now convinced that a RCBS 1500 Charge master is the best option used in conjunction with a special powder die. This is how I load my 1000 yard ammo.
Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought some IMR 4350 for my 25-06. It is not powder friendly in my Dillon measure. What do you guys do when using a long grained powder that doesn't throw well?

One, I don't use coarse powders in a progressive because I want to see the powder colume in my cases before seating starts.

Two, I don't use progressives because I want to see the powder colume in my cases before seating starts. Wink

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also think it would be less of a problem if you were loading for a larger calibre like the 30-06. If you have the older RL450 you could cut the charge weight in 1/2 and throw twice. Of course this would require some fiddling on your part, but it would help you avoid a potential "log" jam at the funnel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i rarely use stick powder in my dillon, but i did buy a hornady measure set up for loading rifle. it works much better than does the dillon on rifle, the dillon i like better for pistol. Unless i'm loading more than 100 rounds at a time, i don't use the progressive, but go back to my old coax

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longshot:
Just how precise are you wanting? Tim Johnsons' Quick Measure will fit on a Dillon press and will throw within +/- .2 with either 4350 or 4831. It is especially made to throw log powder. It is expensive and takes some patients and has a learning curve. I am now convinced that a RCBS 1500 Charge master is the best option used in conjunction with a special powder die. This is how I load my 1000 yard ammo.
Longshot

+1 The Quick Measure works very well.

I`ve no experiance with the measure/scale combos, but they won`t work as well with a progressive as they do a single stage IMO. The combos require you to manually lift the scale pan and dump it in the case. It could be a hassle depending on the press.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't advise loading a 25-06 with a progressive loader.The pressures can rise quickly with this overbore case.I would accurately weigh each charge when reloading for the 25-06.

Posts: 359 | Location: Corpus Christi,Texas | Registered: 19 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If you are using stick powders, your best bet is to weigh charges. If you are dead set on using a progressive & powder measure then going to a ball pwoder will make your life a lot easier.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesTap-tap-tap fill****Tap-tap-tap dump.

My first powder dispenser was a Redding with a built on tapper. Just got use to the idea 51 years ago and am still tapping. Gets the job done for me. BOOMroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
Roll EyesTap-tap-tap fill****Tap-tap-tap dump.

My first powder dispenser was a Redding with a built on tapper. Just got use to the idea 51 years ago and am still tapping. Gets the job done for me. BOOMroger

Ditto here. Only mine is a Lyman Ideal #55. Throws stick just fine (Although I do weigh each one).

My dad told me once that if you're gonna kill a rattler with a chainsaw, use the top of the bar.

Posts: 165 | Location: Seymour, Mo | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote