THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    .50 Action Express Brass, IMI or Starline? Does it matter?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.50 Action Express Brass, IMI or Starline? Does it matter?
 Login/Join

<BMG>
posted
I'm picking up a 50AE upper for my AR-15 today and I'm looking at brass to feed it. Is there a difference between the Starline vs IMI as far as quality and strength. Any comments are welcome, thanks.

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
I do not have any experience with the 50AE but can tell you that the IMI stuff is milspec. I have heard a lot of good regarding the Starline too. I guess it would be, take your pick or try some of both.

mike

------------------
NRA Life Member

America, Love it or LEAVE IT!

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Big50>
posted
Who did you get the 50AE upper from, does it function well and how much $$?

<BMG>
posted
www.hessearms.com/specials.htm

Picked it up yesterday. I'll test it for function this weekend and let you know.

Here is a pic of it (not mine, I just found the pic while researching mine):
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=2471197

[This message has been edited by BMG (edited 11-20-2001).]

<Eric>
posted
BMG,

I started using Starline brass when I was wrapped up on a project with the 7.62x25. I was real impressed with the quality of the cases and the folks I talked with at Starline. They really care about making a good product.

I was forming cases out of military 5.56 brass as military cases are usually heavier than commercial cases. I found that the Starline cases for 7.62x25 were of the same weight and volume as the reformed cases.

That indicates to me that the cases are made quite strong. Of course I don't know about .50 AE, but I've been using Starline cases now for about six years and I'm quite happy with them.

Good luck with your Hesse upper, I've had several unsatisfactory experiences with their products. And they have an attitude.
------------------
Surely we must all hang together, for separately we will all surely hang.

[This message has been edited by Eric (edited 11-20-2001).]