New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm STW vs 300 Weatherby Mag
 Login/Join

<Sniper>
posted
I goofed the first time and put 300 Win Mag.

Now,,,,if you had a choice between these two, 7 STW and 300 Weatherby, in a Sako 75 which would you choose and why?

Thanks!

Sorry about the goof up!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I dislike the Weatherby radiused shoulder and freebored throat, therefore, in regard simply to cartridge design, I would prefer the 7 STW. I've always had difficulty making Weatherby cartridges shoot accurately.

But you don't say for what purpose you intend to use the gun.

If it is long-range whitetails, the go with the 7 STW.

If it is Alaskan moose, go with the .300 Weatherby in spite of its design.

Your question by itself is kind of like asking whether you should buy a pipe wrench or a Crescent wrench. Both will do some of the same things, but one will be better than the other for specific tasks. First tell me what the task is.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
Depends on what you are going to do with it.

I like the STW alot, shoot one all the time, but the 300 probably has a bit more utility.

Main thing I dislike about the STW is the amount of powder it uses, seems to take quite a bit more powder then the rem mag for a slight increase in performance.

<Sniper>
posted
Whooops left that part off. This gun would primarily be used as a Whitetail rifle..shots ranging from 10 yards to 300 yards from woodland settings to open fields and clear cuts. I already have a 7mm Rem Mag and a 300 Win Mag so I would want to step up a tad from those two. Why? I dunno,,,just would like to have one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO,it's not much of a "step up" from a 7 Rem Mag and a 300 Win Mag to a 7 STW or a 300 Weatherby. I have three of the four mentioned. They are too close to see a real measurable performance gain. My 7 Rem Mag goes about 3300 with a 140 Ballistic Tip.My friends 24" STW does about 3450.My 300 Win consistently pushes 180's to a bit over 3100.I haven't chronyed my 24" 300 WTBY but it MIGHT gain 100 fps. Looks like you have your whitetail needs covered with what you've got. Go for a bigger bore, maybe a 340 WTBY? or how about a good whitetail/varmint combo, like a 25-06 or a 6mm?

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Roger 4>
posted
Sniper,,to really enjoy the full potential
of either a 7 STW or a 300 Weatherby you
need a 28" to 30" barrel,,this would give you
the long range punch that I think your looking for.I don`t know if you would mind the extra length,,and you would need the barrel to be a Hvy. Varmint type to keep from acting like a buggy whip when you drop the hammer.I have a 30" H&H Mag. full bull type barrel on a T/C Encore frame it`s a real hummer and not at all hard to carry,the extra weight is nice on the recoil end also.
Just something for you to think on,,for what it`s worth,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Roger 4

<Sniper>
posted
I considered going up to a 30-378 but man are they expensive to shoot.

Rembo, got a 257 Weatherby on the way

Roger, I don't think I want to try and carry that much length around if I can help it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not a huge difference between the three rifles that you mentioned. There is probily only 50 yards difference in maximum point blank range between the three. I agree with rembo look at a .340 Wby. Slightly larger bullets with still a good range.

Have fun

Posts: 182 | Location: Okotoks, Alberta | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For whitetails, there's no question, go with the 7 STW. As I understand it, you're wanting to buy a Sako 75 and these are the two calibers you are considering. It's not a matter of what you "need" since you already have plent of guns for whitetails, it's what you "want". That Sako 75 in STW will be fun. Buy it.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Delta Hunter>
posted
I answered this question on another forum, but I wanted to address this Weatherby design issue a previous poster brought up. I really like the design of the Weatherby cartridges and have had no problems with accuracy out of my Sako 75 .300 Weatherby. I don't claim that I have a 1/4 MOA rifle, but I usually get at least one 1/4" group (3 shots) each time I go to the range with it. Most, however, are in the .5" to .75" range, plenty good enough for any kind of big game hunting I know of.

<ss8541>
posted
I love my 7 STW and I get a lot more velocity then a factory 7 REM. But I have a 27.5 inch barrel. You may want to get a 300 ULTRA in a Sako 75. I know they make them, we have them on the shelf at the gun shop that I work at part time. The Ultra will give you a good deal more Velocity then your 300 WIN. By the way I was getting 3450 out of 140's in the 26" factor barrel of my STW. Now with a 27.5" barrel I get 3550 out of 140's with good brass life, and sub .25 MOA. accuracy at 100 yards and .3 MOA. at 300 yards. I get 3450 out of 150's with good brass life, and the same kind of accuracy. You should easily be able to get 3350 out of 180's in the 300 ultra with the 26" barrel on the Sako 75. It won't shoot as flat as the STW but it will hit harder. I get 3800 fps+ with GS customs 130 grain HV bullet in my STW. They group 1.75" at 400 off of a bipod. I have always molly coated my bullets so that may help me with velocity. I just stepped up to a 30" Barrel 300 ULTRA. I haven't worked with it yet but check out the loads on this site.
Vince