THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    loading light bullets for 25-06 any one having luck?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

loading light bullets for 25-06 any one having luck?
 Login/Join

<Steve in MI>
posted
I am going to try some 75 grn bullets in my Ruger V/T. It does not like 100 I have tried seveeral powders and seating depth and bullets. I though I might give the 75 grn v-max a try?? If someone out there is having luck with this I wouls like to hear from them thanks

<Bill Tompkins>
posted
Steve,
I have had very good success with this bullet. I shooting a .25-06 Ackley Improved but I don't think that that will make any difference. The biggest thing that you have to confront is that you can't reach the lands with this bullet, it is way too short. The other is that you are going to use a large amount of powder for small gains in velocity as well as faster wear on the barrel's throat. My barrel starts out at 27" so that I can set it back occasionally.
Currently, I'm using V V N550 and AA XMR4350 with approximately .625" accuracy for 5 shots at 100 meters. This is not a bench rifle, it is a prairie dog rifle. My suggestion is to NOT push them as fast as you can and you will see better performance. I have also found that I can do just as good with the .257 Ackley Improved.
Bill

<Jay,Tx>
posted
I use the Vmax in my Ruger '06. It seems to like Reloader 22 the best. I wouldn't have figured on it, but whatcha gonna do? As mentioned above, reaching the lands will be impossible with a factory rifle. But mine doesn't mind the jump. Try them, I think you might be impressed. And keep us posted.

one of us
posted Hide Post
hi Steve,
I think you will be impressed with the 75gn v max, I was, my savage didnt like 100gn or 120gn but loved the v max. used 61gns rel 19 you have to set them well back as the others have said.
I paid particular attention to the neck, made sure that it was concentric and that it was a tight fit, there isnt much to grab hold of!
devastating on anything it hits!!!
good luck
Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Steve in MI>
posted
My ruger has a short throat( yes it is factory.. like winning the lottery) with 100 no problem to put the bullet into the lands. The 75 will be much shorter though. I want to put a post out to see what others have been doing with the v-max sounds like many are having great luck I will have to try them. Seems that many are using a vast array of powder though.

<re-loader>
posted
Ijust had a 25-06 improved built, have been trying to find loads for it. I have a 1 in 10 twist---absolutely will NOT shoot 75 gr. V-max----I tried partitons 100---115 gr for hunting no good. Switched to 100 gr Barnes XLC --found a .5 moa group---57 gr of IMR 4831 seated .005 off lands.
WWW.bergerbullets.com reccomends nothing less than 115 gr for a 1 in 10 twist----I bought a box of 95 gr & 115----haven't treid the 115 yet----did find an acceptable load for the 95 gr.
57 gr of RL-19 seated at .010 off lands---I haven't fine tuned it yet getting groups inside a dime---I'll try those 115-s next week. I had a very short throat built I can even hit the lands with the 75-s.

<short243>
posted
had a Ruger varmint model until recently and it loved the 75grs, fast, slow or anything inbetween.

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington Sendero in 25-06. I can get it to shoot the 100 grain Speers or most any bullet in that weight range, but anything heavier just will not turn in acceptable accuracy. I've thought about having it rebarreled to a faster twist so I could stablize the longer heavier bullets.
My game plan was the shoot the heavier bullet for better results at long range, 500 meters.
Any thoughts on this?
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote