New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about H-322...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an eight-pound jug of it. Is it a good powder for plinkin' ammo in the .223Rem?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've loaded H-322 in both .222 & .223 Remington w/50 grain Speer TNT's and pretty much any 40-50 gr. .224" tipped Hornadys or Noslers. VERY accurate.

In .222 & .223 Rem. my all time favorite super accurate loads have been conjured up w/VVN-130, H-322 & Norma 200 and I have never been able to measure a JND between the three. VVN-130 simply happens to be easier for me to regularly obtain.

I don't know what you're plinking requirements are but H-322 is a fantasticaly accurate powder in both of the two cartridges mentioned above. Loved by the Benchrest fraternity in smaller cases and flows through a powder measure like sand - what's not to like?

I use CCI Small Rifle Magnum (CCI-450's IIRC) primers with it.

8 lbs. - you're in tall cotton Bubba .....

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good accuracy powder for 222rem and the PPCs.

I was told by Walt Berger that it suffered from quite large differences lot to lot. The fact that you have an 8lb jug negates this but it's something to be aware of when working up loads from data.

It meters very well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Certainly concur in 223. Not as good as Varget or H335 (in my experience) for heavier than 55gr. Meters very well.

It's my main powder for 6.8spc and beginning to beat out IMR4198 in 450Marlin and 45-70.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brewer,I use h-322 in the 223 and 25x39.In the 223 rem with 50-60gr bullets I use 24.0-26.0grs.It does meter real good and I like the way it shoots in mt AR.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like I chose a good powder, then, for mixing with the bunch that will come out of the 1,000-some loaded rounds I have to break apart so I can bump the shoulders down. The loaded rounds have AA2200, AA2230 and BL-C(2) in them, but I have no idea which ones are loaded with which powder. So I'll just mix it all together, add an equal volume of H-322, figger up a load and squeeze out about 2,000 with 55-grain pills. Thank you, gentlemen...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For quite a while it was "the" powder for the .222. It's what I used in mine.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
I have an eight-pound jug of it. Is it a good powder for plinkin' ammo in the .223Rem?

There are several powders that deliver exceptional accuracy in my 223's. H-322 is one of them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems a waste to use what y'all say is a great powder for simple blastin' ammo. Maybe I will go with the white jug of BL-C(2) equivalent (surplus WC846) I have...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use it in .45/70 with 405-425 grain cast and 405 grain jacketed bullets. I like Reloder 7 for that too, but can't always get it. For 460-525 grain cast bullets, I use H-335. The H-322 burns cleanly, but the H-335 leaves a bit of unburned powder, even with a CCI250 mag primer.

Use a double rifle. It just feels better.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HB, I have only used it in a real rifle, ie bolt action. I have heard it was "dirty" burning tho. Since I had to clean the rifle anyway, I never paid that any mind since it gave me excellent accuracy.
If you're gonna be using it in one of those AR thingies, I don't know if it will have an adverse effect on your auto system or not.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I use it for my wild loads in a 45-70 for 405g hard cast bullets. Accuracy is wonderful and as mentioned burns clean.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a time that H-322 ruled the benchrest game.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks like I chose a good powder, then, for mixing with the bunch that will come out of the 1,000-some loaded rounds I have to break apart so I can bump the shoulders down. The loaded rounds have AA2200, AA2230 and BL-C(2) in them, but I have no idea which ones are loaded with which powder. So I'll just mix it all together, add an equal volume of H-322, figger up a load and squeeze out about 2,000 with 55-grain pills. Thank you, gentlemen...

popcornAre you really going to do that? bewildered roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I use it in my 222 Tikka M55 with exceptional accuracy. It is also used in 358 Win and some medium case big bores. It burns very clean. Made by ADI in Australia it is sold there as AR2219 (corrected original error).

I would like to know more views about mixing the various powders! I have never come across this suggestion in any forum before.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Nakihunter - or anyone from Australia -

At one time both 8208 and 2208 were imported to the U.S.and sold under different names by both Bruce Hodgdon and other importers.

I THINK 2208 was called Varget, and 8208 was H-322. Can you please confirm or correct either of those?

TIA.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you really going to do that?

No. I've decided to use an equal volume of WC846, aka BL-C(2). I have about 6 pounds of it...

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I love it in the 223, and the 22.250...

in the 223, my load is 25 grains of powder with bullet weights from 40 up to 60 grainers..

remember a prudent reloader will work up in his rifle to max load tho..

I use 30 grains of it in the 22.250, with bullet weights from 40 to 60 grainers also..

it is one of my GoTo powders..

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
Nakihunter - or anyone from Australia -

At one time both 8208 and 2208 were imported to the U.S.and sold under different names by both Bruce Hodgdon and other importers.

I THINK 2208 was called Varget, and 8208 was H-322. Can you please confirm or correct either of those?

TIA.

I have not heard of 8208.

AR 2208 is Varget & AR 2219 in H322 (sorry for the error in earlier post - edited and correct now). Now they have changed the AR2206 to AR2206SC & this is the same as H4895. AR 2207 = H4198, AR2209=H4350, AR2213SC = H4831SC, AR 2217 = H1000, AR 2225 = Rantambo and AR 2218 = 50BMG and finally BM2 = Benchmark I am pretty sure AR 2205 =4227. I am not sure about the pistol & shotgun powders.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
I would like to know more views about mixing the various powders! I have never come across this suggestion in any forum before.

ConfusedIf truely knowledgeable about powder blending it might be all right. FrownerThan again you might be opening up Pandora's Box. Powder mixing or blending can be carried to a dangerous extreme and th quote unquote knowlegeable person will swear he was working in a safe way. shocker I have first hand experience in this area.Not for the prudent IMHO Roll Eyesroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not for the prudent...

Never said I was. I've done it in the past. I just load a slow load for the hottest powder I know to be in the mix and work it up in half-grain increments until I see the primers flatten, primers push out a bit or the head get a shiny spot on it. Another way is how much recoil you feel or even how loud it is. Best ways are in how the case looks...

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're not going to pull a marathon and do them all in one sitting, you can set up some larger fired or primed brass to hold each charge until a batch of cases are prepped. No mixing, no measuring, just pour the original charge into a case and seat the bullet, as long as the bullets are all the same weight and similar construction. You just need a big loading block so the temp cases don't get knocked over.

Posts: 353 | Location: Southern Black Hills SD | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Where is HotCore here..

He loves to tell the world they are going to blow up the world using Blue Dot...

Homebrewer, he should really love tearing your post apart here..

you are adventuring into an area I wouldn't go into, because there is too many variables..

and I don't see the need either..

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
It works well in my 338LM

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get wickedly accurate results in my .223 Remington BDL using 22.9 grains of H-322 behind a Hornady 55-grain #2265SP bullet and a Winchester Small Rifle primers.

In my particular rifle, no other powder performs better for this size bullet.

Posts: 31 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 25 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never managed to work up a truly accurate load in any of my match rifles using H322. It will get close, but H4198, N-120, N-133 or N-135 will outshoot it every time in my rifles. 6ppc, 223 rem, .22, 6mm, and .30 Br. Someone mentioned that it was dirty--that's been my experience as well, no matter what pressure I developed or what bullet I used.

I've been using up the remainder of the jug I bought years ago, for forming brass.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Homebrewer, he should really love tearing your post apart here..

Bring it on...

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Not for the prudent...

Never said I was. Another way is how much recoil you feel or even how loud it is....

clapWith the WCC846 I guarentee LOAD.
popcornReally not trying to rain on your parade. Since all the powders in question are in relatively close burning rate and your procedure seems well thought out, perhaps your getting it done OK and safely is high.
holycowYou may ,however, be setting a president for the less knowledgable and experienced whereby injury may occure. Just a thought! spaceroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You may, however, be setting a precedent for the less knowledgeable and experienced whereby injury may occur. Just a thought!

I will accept no responsibility for any injuries sustained by anyone who reads about my plan to mix powders, and then goes out and does it himself. I know what powders I have and I can estimate well enough to know that the charge of a mix of them is gong to be between 20 and 23 grains. For safety, I will start low and work it up in half-grain incs until I get to where all the powder burns and the rifle cycles properly...

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
unless preparing to use as fertlizer, mixing powders is DUMB and DANGEROUS. HB, i think you are a decent guy .. and should stop posting about mixing powders. I believe your concept to be greatly flawed, and you should have to post signage reading "insane reloading experiments in progress" when you are at the range.

powders do not burn in a linear fashion, and mixing them makes it very non-linear .. like steel rain, it goes bang in all directions

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
... The loaded rounds have AA2200, AA2230 and BL-C(2) in them, but I have no idea which ones are loaded with which powder. So I'll just mix it all together, add an equal volume of H-322, ...
Hey HB, That is what I meant by "wreckless attitude".

Having seen the brilliant Tools you have created to use, it seems contradictory and so totally STUPID to do such stuff. Are you getting input concerning how to handle Powders from teanScum, or seafire???

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
teanScum

Who? Never heard of him...