Find
Notify
Tools

Reloaqding mistakes!! Share the learning
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
FrownerIt is said that we learn from our mistakes. Over 59 years of reloading I've done some learning. shocker
I'll share some of my "LEARNING" with you and maybe you'll educate us with yours.
Loving to experiment I was on a duplex loading kick trying to get 5020 to totally burn by raising the pressure with faster burning powders. Someone many years ago on this forum asked me " If you do get it all to burn how do you know in advance you haven't got to much"?
homer I didn't know in advance but I found out after I cracked a lug and brazed the case to the bolt face.The action was set back a bit much. In fact after I replaced the bolt totally mild loads would jam so that I had to use a hammer to open the bolt. Believe me I was lucky and I did learn.
OK I showed you one of mine . Show me yours. beerroger Eeker

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I haven't reloaded as long but I have found some things out...

1] Check all brass for cleaning media inside before resizing (broken decap pins)
2] Check all brass for proper primer (Broken decap pins on Berdan Primed)
3] Don't vacuum spilled powder (lol!)
4] Use a sturdy reloading bench (cycle press and start having things fall over/off bench)

I have never had a FTF or double charged since reloading...although I try to check and double check everything and take my time.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Nothing as dramatic as yours, Roger, but I started out loading .40 S&W not once, but twice, I forgot the powder. Luckily I couldn't chamber another round. Haven't done this since the first week I started loading.

Lesson learned? Don't load when you're tired or distracted. Pay attention, damnit!!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Canadian reloarder
posted Hide Post
When I began reloading appx 35 years ago I didn't realize that there were differences in different company's shell holders. I adjusted my 300 WM dies with a Lyman shell holder and at a later date resized 50 cases with a Lee #5 shell holder. By doing thie I set the shoulders back on all the cases. When I went shooting I began getting case seperations. Took me a while to figure out what was happening, but to make it short I ruined 50 cases. If I were to start over I would purchase one full set of shell holders and use only these for all my reloading.

"300 Win mag loaded with a 250 gr Barnes made a good deer load". Elmer Keith

Posts: 172 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the old farm house I grew up in, the basement was just over head high. We had a single bare bulb hanging from a nail over the work/loading bench.

I had poured about 3oz. of red dot into a cup so I could dip it easy. I then bumped the bulb with my head it fell off the nail into the powder and whoosh a big flash and singed eye brows and hair. I wasn't old enough to shave so no singed beard.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Haven't had anything majorly go wrong in several decades of reloading, the odd instance of cases not sized enough, a couple of cases stuck in the sizing die etc., but maybe I can relate the serious mishap a friend of mine had when sitting at his table reloading one night at the same time ear wigging his wife talking to a mutual friend on the phone.

He had sized all his 308W cases and then was loading them one at a time i.e. priming a case, dropping the powder charge and seating the bullet, instead of batch priming, batch charging etc.

You can probably guess what happened? Yes he got out of sequence and tried to seat another primer in a case full of powder. Fortunately in some ways the case was up inside the bullet seating die and all he saw was a ball of fire erupting out of the die. Seriously burnt on the top of his legs, stomach and chest, but thankfully the die shielded his face and head.

I suspect the seated primer did not ignite the powder but the second primer he was attempting to seat flashed up into the die and ignited the powder in the case.

Extremely nasty and a valuable lesson learned after 3 months or more off work to heal.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I recently sized and primed fifty 300 H&H cases. I loaded some of them up with different loads and was going to shoot them and check velocities, etc. But when it came time to shoot none of the cartridges fit in the chamber far enough for me to close the bolt.

Mistake - I had used the neck sizing die instead of the full length sizing die.

This can be a problem when reloading cases shot from one rifle for use in a different rifle.

To resize the primed cases with a full length sizing die I had to remove the decapper to prevent setting primers off. I also had to pull bullets and dump powder from all the cartridges I had already loaded and then resize those as well.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
New primers work better than used ones.

Beware the fury of an aroused democracy. -Ike

Posts: 124 | Location: land of sky blue waters | Registered: 30 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are doing bulk loading for your next night cull shoot, do check all the cases on a tray that all are charged with the same amount of powder or that a case has not been missed by visually scanning before seating bullets !

If not you will blow your Sako Finnbear de Luxe model to hell ! Yep the really expensive model with the blonde stock with the special ornate checkering and "oak leaf" wood inserts and rosewood fore end ! Trust me you will only make that mistake once !

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nosualc:
New primers work better than used ones.
They also work better when installed with the open end inside the pocket.

Nosualc - "land of sky blue waters" like OLY WA?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Don't reload if tired, distracted, on meds, unable to think clearly. (Except if depriming or vibrating/cleaning.) Handloading IS rocket science. If I stick with my routine, listening to music meantime works out nicely. If a little voice says. "Hey, that was different!" I stop and re-check until I figure out what -- cracked necks, crushed case, whatever, etc.

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Loading duplex loads is not a mistake; it is just blatantly asking for trouble. Mistakes are when the reloader does something unintended. Results of experiments are never mistakes; they are simply, one data point of observed phenomena; note and move on.
Foolish subject of experimentation? Maybe, but not a mistake.

Posts: 17295 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Loading duplex loads is not a mistake; it is just blatantly asking for trouble. Mistakes are when the reloader does something unintended. Results of experiments are never mistakes; they are simply, one data point of observed phenomena; note and move on.
Foolish subject of experimentation? Maybe, but not a mistake.

Roll EyesThank U 4 ur sage judgement.

stirAnother immature mistake. Early in "57". I had saved enough to get a Holly Wood Senior which I still have and use. There was enough money to get a Redding powder dispenser and a set of 8mmx57 dies. Someone gave me a 3 beam gram scale. I attempted to measure 47grains of 4895 by setting the scale to 3 grams. Now this was my first time reloading and a mistake.
shocker The ejected case from my G43 sailed across the creek about 15 yards hit a tree and removed a sizeable chunk of bark from it. The primer was dead flat with metal extruding into the firing pin hole. donttrollroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
flame Roger ... I am always careful Haven't pulled a roger YET!!!. blew any thing up. I loaded some 44mags and they were Stout to say the least I shot 5 round and had to beat the empties out of the cylinder. Used The wrong data, rifle instead of pistol, destroyed my bullet puller 45 rounds later. hammering .

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I had a M700 in 300RUM and had developed a load for elk. A friend bought an identical rifle and asked me if I would load some shells for him. When he showed up at my house with all of the components I asked him where his rifle was. His reply, "At home".
I explained that you needed to have the rifle to set the resizing die but since his house was 15 miles away and I had the identical rifle, we should be OK. WRONG!
When he got home he could only chamber about 10% of the reloads.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I tried crimping bullets that had no cannelures and obviously gave them too much because it expanded the shoulders of the 338WM cases and they would not fit in the rifle.

I took the decapper out of the die and and (partially?) full-length resized the cartridges. Despite the bullet already being place, it worked - believe it or not.

Posts: 5119 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The mistakes that I make, and continue to do so are when I try to load shotshells with a progressive/semi automatic press. I normally load using a PW 375 single station press and everything goes smoothly- one shell, one station at a time. Occasionally a PW 600 Mult-o-matic press is available. It involves inserting a hull in one station, a wad in another and making sure the primer fed into it's position, pressing the handle down, then rotating the bushing tray so that the shot and powder will drop, as well as picking up the just ejected loaded shell. It's so nerve racking to use it, I generally tell the friend never-mind, I'll use the 375 and get shells loaded almost as fast, much faster if I happen to miss a step and have to take things apart.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once set up my seating die for a .358 win like it was a sizing/decapping die. Sent her home into the shell plate, backed out a half a turn, and proceeded to obliterate the shoulders on a half a dozen or so rounds before I scratched my head a bunch, posted here, and figured out my mistake. Thankfully I haven't had any issues that surfaced anywhere past the doors of my gun room.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hm, lets see - first of all, check with HER before cleaning brass in the Washing machine.
Tumbler was done for, wanted to clean 200 cases and of course deprimed and threw the whole lot in a cloth bag in the washing machine. Works great for cleaning but please check first when the wife is supposed to be home. She WILL notice the noise and ask what is going on.

Other than that? When vacuuming, make sure you did not inadvertently spilled any live primers using the hand prime while watching TV. They can go off when sucked up and dust can burn..... "Honey, I got us a new vacuum."

Ah yes, and always check bullet length. The first and only time I got overpressure was when using tracers with surplus powder (WC844). Milsurp bullets flew just fine out of the good old Nagant, the first tracer did not just sound strange, opening the bold without resorting to ye olde 2x4 was almost impossible. Disassembling the other 48 rounds a lesson.

Finally, learn from other peoples' mistakes. It is usually more cost efficient and better for your health to listen to the reloading stories and cross-check them instead of trying to reproduce failures.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boule:

Finally, learn from other peoples' mistakes. It is usually more cost efficient and better for your health to listen to the reloading stories and cross-check them instead of trying to reproduce failures.

tu2 AMEN tu2 beer roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have personally turned a fresh pound of Varget into a canister of duplex WW748/Varget by not paying attention to what was in the measure and emptying it into the just opened container. I think it violates 'one powder on the bench at a time'

Now the story of 'Poof'. A fellow reloader showed up at work one day sans eyebrows. After some questioning he came clean. Some powder had spilled onto the floor, he swept it up for disposal, and opted to dispose it in the wood stove. He opened the door to the active fire box and tossed the contents of the dustpan in.... "and poof no eyebrows."

Of course the nickname stuck!

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
nickle brass is ALWAYS higher pressure, even from the same maker - says the (right now 20 years your reloader) -- no one ever told him that the surface finish of the same make of brass makes a huge difference.

these lead to my ONLY blown primers due to over pressure ... wasn't a hot load in my 308 for RP brass and 165gr bullets .. i thought the nickle looked cooler ...

yeah, good times

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39721 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
What Mistakes? rotflmo

I've blown primers but that was foolish not a mistake. Tossed powder from the thrower into wrong container. Took my wrong load for my 9mm and has several 100 I had to pull.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never have more than one canister of powder on the bench at one time.
Make sure that primers are right side up before seating them.
Always look down into charged cases to confirm that they all have the same amount of powder.
If you spill pipe tobacco on your bench don't try to use it because there may be powder grains in it.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I worked up a hunting load for one of my 300H&Hs a couple of years ago - 180 gn NPs with IMR4350 just above the Nosler recommended max. No pressure signs and very accurate! This was after also checking loads with 4831 and 4831SC. I trim and full length resize hunting loads, and was using once fired brass for a 200 and 300 yd range session and to confirm zero on a backup scope. This was in prep for an Alberta sheep hunt so careful, slow deliberate were in full play... I weighed 20 loads using the same RCBS balance beam scale I've had for about 45 years and used a flashlight to check powder levels in all cases before seating the bullets. That's a step I always take.

A couple of hours later at the range when I touched off the first round I was aware of more than usual recoil, but was really surprised I couldn't lift the bolt even with considerable effort. Had to get back to the house to use a tube for a cheater bar to open the bolt. The case extracted but had a greatly enlarged primer pocket with NO primer or primer residue that I could find. I immediately checked the powder and confirmed I was using the right powder. I then checked my scale and realized I had bumped the large weight one notch and loaded 76 grain charges instead of 66 grains. I pulled the remaining 19 rounds and all were 10 grains over. I count that shot as a testament to the strength and gas handling ability of the pre-64 Win.

And I keep the fired case right behind my scale...

Good hunting,

Posts: 403 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a scale issue that destroyed my wife’s .45 Sig 1911. Fortunately, nobody was injured.

This happened during my pre-progressive press days, and I was loading a batch of pistol cartridges by weighing each charge. I’d gotten the scale second hand, but over the course of a couple of years, I was convinced that the scale was accurate and linear.

When I started loading that day, I did my usual “check weight” check, and all was fine. I loaded up a batch of one caliber using whatever powder it wanted. Because the scale was very linear, I thought nothing about sliding the weights along the beam and moving right into loading the .45.

The first round through the Sig bent the frame and ruptured the magazine. I couldn't believe what happened because I think of myself as being really careful.

When I got home, I checked the scale, and it turns out (as best I could figure) there was a little corrosion on the slot one of the weights was supposed to fit into, and that corrosion prevented the weight from dropping all the way down into the slot.

The result was that the .45 charges were a couple of grains greater than max. When I placed the weight properly, the check weights confirmed both accuracy and linearity.

Lesson learned . . . I wasn't as careful as I thought I was or should have been, and I now use check weights every time I change the scale, and from time to time even when I haven’t moved its weights.

When I'm using my progressive press, I now load in batches of 10 - 20 and check the powder throws between batches, confirming weight with check weights.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Similar to OP but no damage to action.

20+ years ago I was reloading 243 with 85gr Barnes X original that were .243 & not the later .242 and no bands.

Having read that Barnes tended to spike pressure, I started with 90 gr bullet's min load - presuming that it would be very safe for 85 gr bullet.

I seated it close to lands like all my other loads.

First 2 shots were fine and in one hole at 100 meters. I did not bother to check primers or cases.

Third shot was a big cloud of smoke! I could not open the bolt. Had to bang it open. Case was stuck to bolt face, took it out & primer was blown, brass flowed all over, head stamp of the case embossed on bolt face.

My heart was racing, my hands shaking & I realised that I was shit scared!

Bullet hit the other two, 3 shots in 1 hole, Chronograph reading was 100 fps above max.

I started reading up a lot more & found that the Barnes recommendation is to seat bullets 50 thou off lands for a free bore jump!

I did that and the whole thing settled down, but the groups opened up to 2 inches!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11254 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by youp50:

Now the story of 'Poof'. A fellow reloader showed up at work one day sans eyebrows. After some questioning he came clean. Some powder had spilled onto the floor, he swept it up for disposal, and opted to dispose it in the wood stove. He opened the door to the active fire box and tossed the contents of the dustpan in.... "and poof no eyebrows."

Of course the nickname stuck!

... but he's probably not the kind of bloke who would get that moniker in this country!

Posts: 5119 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may not play a Doctor on TV, but I do my own stunts...
Early on, pretty new at reloading, seating the primers waaay too deep. Got a couple hang fires, then managed to get a combo deal. Light load in 9.3x62, Speer bullet, one of those weird occurrences where you pull the trigger, no noise, no recoil, little wisp of smoke coming out of the receiver. About 30 seconds of being scared to lift the bolt to see what was going on.
Lift the bolt, look inside, powder spilled inside the action, bullet stuck in the barrel.

Seemed like it was time for a trip to the gunsmith, and time to reexamine my reloading practices.

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
(1). READ many different reloading books/manuals from COVER to cover as if you are going to be tested on them.
(2) pay attention ! 30+ Yrs ago, I attempted to load 240 W cases w/ 25 cal NPs. It did not work.
(3) Take ALOT of notes on your loads AND keep the info w/ your ammo AND another place. I have attempted to educate (2) people to reload. 1 younger than me, one older. The younger one's wife decided--it took too much time. The older one decided everything needed to be 'electronic'. He showed up to shoot his new loads----w/ info stored on a different devic-----in essence------NO info on his new loads!
(4) stuck cases are a pain ! Imperial die wax is your friend ! Use it.
(5) when testing new loads or fire lapping a barrel, shoot paper, so you can see the bullet holes ! This way, you can avoid the 'issues' that occur w/ a bullet stuck in the barrel.
(6) pay attention AND learn from others---knowledge and mistakes !

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
#3 thumbdownShooting mule deer with 22cal. 55gr. Bullets , max. load from a 22-250.Horrible mistake. barf roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 250 sav die ..been loading my favorite caliber 250-3000 from 1962 ..All of sudden 1 day the speer bullets started to not group.I was shaking my head looked at everying I thought.

Found out my decapping rod was bent right at the decapping pin on threads.I must have missed the primer hole and bent the rod..You could see it when you rolled rod on table .

I bought a new one and noticed they made it stronger in that area on rod must have been folks bending the rod at threads...So now i check the rod to make sure is straight ....

Posts: 110 | Location: wilds of pa .... | Registered: 31 December 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
#3 thumbdownShooting mule deer with 22cal. 55gr. Bullets , max. load from a 22-250.Horrible mistake. barf roger

I load for friend 60gr gr Nosler bullets in 22-250 works good on whitetails here in pa.He uses gun on coyotes also.4064/4895 worked good ....

Posts: 110 | Location: wilds of pa .... | Registered: 31 December 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
While loading a quantity of about 400- .38 specials my 4 year old son wanted to help. We were loading with a single stage press.
He was great help but I think he got ahead of me, his job being seating the bullets and in retrospect he must have seated some bullets before the powder got in the case as we've had a few "duds".
He is a little better at it now that he is 13....

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When it comes to reloading mistakes I've made most of 'em at one time or another.

When I started at 14 in 1958 (Roger you're ahead of me a year!!!)
There wasn't anyone around the area we knew that did it. Herter's catalogs were so full of bullshit you couldn't believe any of it. I did.

First thing: stuck an '06 case in the die. Just about no way to get a stuck case out without a proper puller. I do believe I may have invented the common system. Drilled some rod and used a tapped primer hole. Worked so good I made a spare and sent it to Herters thinking I could earn a few bucks. Never got a reply one. The very next catalog had it listed, never had been prior to that. I've most likely made a 100 of 'em for others since n just give them away.

Realized the case needed some lube. Used engine oil, hell, if some works, why not dip them in it?? Killed primers! Nothing like that CLICK when within 50yds of a 6pt bull elk dead to rights when it CLICKED! Man that was LOUD!

Somewhere about the same time bullets stuck in the gun and dumped powder in the action. Bad enough anytime, but, much worse when it's your Dad while elk hunting.
Amazingly we both killed our elk for several years in a row. With my reloads.

Uncle had some WWI 240gr steel jacketed RN's in a coffee can for many years under the bench in his garage. Found out I was shooting '06. First half dozen or more fired just fine, then I got a loud Hiss and no bang. Looked down the bore and it was plugged. Gunsmith beat on it for hours with an electric hammer before he gave up and was going to call "the kid" and tell me it's ruined, he decided to give it one more try. Started to give a little, finally got it beat out and saved the gun, I still have it and it's fired over 10,000 rnds without a problem.
Wore the headspace out, had it rechambered for .300Win/m. Rifling is so worn I can barely see it but, it will still put 'em in less than 1 1/2" at 100yds. Even tighter with 200gr GK's.

Amazing I never blew one up, just fantastic rifle that's all. 1917 Enfield/Eddystone.

About 7 years ago I decided to get into the small cal game. Couldn't afford a Cooper then. Took a NEF .223 action, HMR barrel, got a used reamer and had it cut out for the 5.7x28mm case necked down to .17 cal. Fantastic little cartridge. Wanted to find a proper load for it. Started with H110 at 10.0gr, 20gr V'max. Loaded n fired the same case ten times, just great. Increased to 10.1gr, five times. Fine yet. Upped it to 10.2gr and blew the gun up!!

Action blew open, plastic trigger guard blown up, bits in my hand, broken firing pin, case head primer hole was a full 1/4" dia!!!! and split the head too. Mighty lucky, didn't hurt me, hit my face or hurt the gun much. Did break the L shaped lever, whatever that's called, holds the case in the chamber.

Just because they're tiny cases don't mean they won't build up lots of pressure. Go easy with known loads in these little cases.

Long enough for the first post. Has to be a couple dozen more screw up's to come yet.

Good thread Roger.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6030 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote