New
Find
Notify
Tools

.30-06 at modern pressures
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Given the larger case capacity, if the .30-06 is handloaded to the same pressure as the .308W, and fired in a modern, strong action, what should be the velocity gain? Say, as a percentage or in FPS with say, 150 g bullet? BTW, I'm not trying to start an argument about which round is better. Just trying to gain a lil scientific information.

Posts: 64 | Location: 19th century | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it would be about the same as the "historic" 30-06 AI loads ...

loaded with RL22, it matches (darn close to it) the 300 HH classic loads

50-75fps likely

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've always taken the position if 65,000 is ok for the 270 and 25-06 then in an equal bolt action it should be ok for any 06 baased case.

5000psi with a 150 in a 24" barrel calculates to right at 50fps in the 06 per QL.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Gentlemen. So what's that formula/hypothesis/rule of thumb of John Barsness, involving the proportions of increased case capacity to velocity gain?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Assuming you can find a slow enough power to use the capacity the rule for an 06 type case is 1% velocity for 4% capacity. I've found the 308 to be a touch less the 7x57 a touch more.

I made the comment as to using the capacity because you will reach a point where extra capacity gives you nothing. The RUMs and the larger Wby ae like that. You just can't get slow enough powder or long enough barrels to use extra capacity.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Look at same powder/bullet loads on Hodgdons or any other powder companies web site that lists pressures and see how velocity and pressure compare between the two cartridges. They are omly 2000 psi apart in SAAMI MAP and the loads on Hodgdons web page are often closer then that in spread.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Read the threads at the top of the reloading forum. Everything you need to know is right there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at several manuals: many list loads for 180 gr. bullet at 2800 fps.
Also, if you don't have a copy of Ken Waters' "Pet Loads", I suggest theat you get one. As for anything to do with ballistics that John B. prints, in my opinion, needs to be taken with a lot of Salt.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker48: As for anything to do with ballistics that John B. prints, in my opinion, needs to be taken with a lot of Salt.

I wouldn't limit that to just ballistics. Wink

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker48: As for anything to do with ballistics that John B. prints, in my opinion, needs to be taken with a lot of Salt.

I wouldn't limit that to just ballistics. Wink
+2 Absolutely. I do not think he Lies, but he draws a lot of conclusions that are 180deg out of phase with my experience.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No Plea

As answered in your other thread on Medium Bores the difference can be, given equal barrel lengths of 22-24", upwards of 200 fps depending on the bullet weight. There is not a lot of fps difference with different bullet weights as is commonly believed. but the lighter bullets do show a higher velocity gain.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your responses.
I recall a lengthy thread probably 6 - 8 years ago (when I posted under a different nom de keystroke) ... wherein the author told how he had had a well known custom ammo company (Arizona Ammunition?)put tpogether some extraordinary .30-06 loads. If memory serves, the author claimed about 3000 fps with moly -plated 180 grain bullets of some premium type. I remember it because there was considerable discussion and it seemed that a famous rifle cartridge ballistician weighed in to the effect that it could be done in a rare rifle, if everything was perfect. Been looking for this thread but can't find it. Any of y'all remember?

one of us
posted Hide Post
One ofthe best answers to your question is to look at the top of the forum page.....where it has the pressure info on 30-06 loads...that should pretty much answer things really well.
I'm finding re17 to be a "wonder drug" for the 06...really fantastic speed in all bullet wts.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote