New
Find
Notify
Tools

new reloader
 Login/Join

<Leadtag101>
posted
I was wondering what is the best reloading outfit for a guy to invest in,as far as dependablity and accuracy.Im not sure what brand to invest in.I will mainly be reloading rifle rounds.Can a guy achieve just as good of accurately made bullets from a progresive reloader than from a plain simple one?Thanks for any input.

<holtz>
posted
Lead,

Welcome to this forum. Stick around and you will find great wealth of information here. Certainly not necessarily from me, I have learned more here that I'm willing to admit.

Now, why didn't you ask a simple question, like what truck should you buy, or which woman should you marry?

I assume you are basically going to relaod for hunting and normal practice. If so, a single stage is fine. If you will be burning 2-300 rounds through your AR each weekend, you will want a progressive press.

I'll bet most replies (like mine) will suggest you get an RCBS Rock Chucker. There are others that are probably just as good, but there is a reason that the Chucker is the press that all others are compared to.

There is always a small cadre who like Forster's Co-Ax, touting that it will produce more accurate ammo. I suspect the difference will only be appreciated by a benchrest artist or long range varmint shooter. All of the top notch presses are good.

I, and most people, have had no problem with RCBS dies, but, in recent years its been popular to tout other's as being better. Redding dies are now getting much praise. Again, dies from any major manufacturer are good.

A major decision you should make now is - are you just going to try handloading (and maybe stick with it, or not), or do you think you will really be into it for the long run.

If not sure, RCBS's Ammo Crafter kit is a good buy. It has most of what you will need for a start and if you drop handloading in six months you can sell it for a good price. But, if your are sure you're in it for the long run, buy each component separately. Buy the best your can afford right off the bat. It will save you money in the long run.

Steve

<goneballistic>
posted
Holtz,
I'll second the motion on the RCBS Rockchucker kit. But, I'll tell you exactly why I'll never buy another RCBS die. 1rst reason is that cheesy lockring setscrew made of brass. Redding's setscrew is steel, with a seperate grooved paw that engages the die threads. Hornady has a lockring that is also superior to the RCBS setup. The ring is split, an allen bolt draws it tight to the diebody.
Also, Redding's decap pin changes out fast, and they provide a spare.

Leadtag,
Before you spend the money on a kit, spend around $20 on a reloading book. For the beginner, I would suggest Lyman's 47th. There is a lot of good information in there for a beginner to study. STUDY IT!

Good shooting.

<Steve in MI>
posted
Welcome to reloading. Being new to reloading he might not now the difference in dies. If you do a search on reloading, gear. You will find data,.. this topic on press's was just done a wheil ago.

I use a RCBS rock Chucker and love it. I load for a 300 rum and was told that with Redding dies the die is too long and makes it almost impossiable to load with the chucker. Tha ammo master fixes this problem. So if you are loading long/large calibers that might be a press to look at. I only bought one other press it was a Hornady Lock-n-load auto progressive. I had it for less than 6 months and they returned my money. That says all i need to say about that press. Good luck here are a few link with some good reloading info.
http://www.cctrap.com/~varmint/ahunt.htm
http://www.varminthunters.com/

<goneballistic>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Steve in MI:

I use a RCBS rock Chucker and love it. I load for a 300 rum and was told that with Redding dies the die is too long and makes it almost impossiable to load with the chucker. Tha ammo master fixes this problem. So if you are loading long/large calibers that might be a press to look at. I only bought one other press it was a Hornady Lock-n-load auto progressive. I had it for less than 6 months and they returned my money. That says all i need to say about that press.

I doubt it. I reload .378 WBY on my Rock Chucker. I use Redding dies. Admittedly, things are a bit tight, but near impossible, naaa. I do not know .300 RUM OALs, but my OALs run around the neighborhood of 3.64". The length of the die should not be a factor, as only so much die screws into the press. I am thinking getting the conversion to load the .378 on my Hornady 50BMG press, which is the same as an AMMOMASTER. But, my reservation on having that as my primary press is the very long length of travel, be hell loading smaller pistol calibers.
One of your previous posts did influence my choice of progressive presses, Steve. I opted out on getting the Hornady LNL AP and got a Dillon 650.

<Mike M>
posted
If I were starting from scratch here is how I would go:
RCBS Rockchucker press; Redding dies; RCBS 5-0-5 scale; RCBS powder trickler; Redding #3BR powder measure; Forester case trimmer; Lee Auto Prime (hand held); and a set of Lee powder scoops.

<Steve in MI>
posted
I dont own redding dies for the 300 rum. I was told by another that he was having problem on the bullet seating operation with the die legnth with his chucker. He is a seasoned reloader , and sold his chucker ans replaced it with the ammo master. I have RCBS dies and I have no trouble at all with 300 RUM

[This message has been edited by Steve in MI (edited 12-11-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless your going into mass production,the RCBS Rockchucker kit will do about anything you want to.The best buy on one that I know of for the kit is at Natchez Shooters Supply for$219,www.natchezss.com.

Posts: 507 | Location: Rogersville ,tn,usa | Registered: 06 August 2001Reply With Quote
<TROPHYHUNTERS>
posted
Rockchucker in my opinion is the setup to start with. Get an auto-priming unit as well Lee makes a good one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Solve the brass setscrew problem the way it was done in the dark & distant past. Take out the screw, drop a #8 shot pellet in the hole, and replace the screw. That's how you keep the steel die threads from chewing up the brass screw. Spare me from any more split rings. You get the die set just right for sizing or crimping, then you back it off, turn the lock ring back a bit, tighten it, then turn the die in again and see if you've got it right. Usually takes 3 tries. If you tighten the lock ring when it's down on the press, it will clamp the die down so tight that you'll have to loosen the lock ring before you can screw the die out of the press and you'll lose your adjustment.

Bye
Jack

Posts: 176 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS Rock chucker Press
Forester trimmer
Redding match grade powder measure
Redding scale
Redding dies
RCBS auto prime tool
Deburring tool
Primer pocket cleaner

You should be set

Happy reloading

Posts: 182 | Location: Okotoks, Alberta | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Leadtag101>
posted
Thanks everyone!Your excellant input has helped me.Im going with the RCBS rockchucker.My father has a FFL so Im going to order the Kit through a wholesaler.The only thing I dont like,are those cheesy looking scales,should I go with a electronic powder measure instead?Thanks for all the advice!

<goneballistic>
posted
The 5-0-5 scales work OK and if you order the kit, they come with it. I've also got the RCBS Powder Pro, an electronic scale that's made by PACT. It's a good scale. Where do you intend to reload? If it's in the garage or a shed, forget it. Electronic scales do not do well in these locations. E scales are great to have, but they are not a must for the beginner. If you get one, get a good one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy a Dillon 550B. Well made and will last a lifetime. You can use it as a single stage or a progessive and it will load match grade ammo for the .380 Auto to the 416 Rigby. All Dillon products come with a no questions asked lifetime warranty.

www.dillonprecision.com

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
<D. Butt>
posted
If a Rockchucker Master Kit is what your looking for, check out Turners' $229.00 on sale, not sure for how long.
Good Luck