Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to the Game
 Login/Join

posted
This will be my first post. I've already picked up a lot of good information and looking for a little more I can't seem to find. Has anyone a site or an ideal where or if there is any, reloading data for an Encore. I have been told you can do a little more with them than you can for other rifles, but am yet to find any specifics.

Posts: 16 | Location: North East Alabama | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Not quite sure what you mean by being able to do a little more with them. If that means loading them hotter, then that is absolutely terrible advice as the encores are a bit weaker than bolt actions.

If you mean are there any special things to consider when handloading, I'd highly recomend finding Mike Bellm's site and reading his article on setting up reloading dies. As I recall it is called the experiment every contender/encore owner should do.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No I'm not wanting to reload any hotter loads I've just saw that a couple of the reloading manuals at Midway had load specifics for encore and thought someone might know of a site with such information. Looking more to tighten up groups at 200 yds with my 223.
I noticed you are in Alaska; I spent 2 years there at Fort Greely. It was the most gratifying experience of my life. Wish I had a place to stay when I got out; I would more than likely still be there. That was in the mid 70's

Posts: 16 | Location: North East Alabama | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The separate loads for the Encore are to be used in the Encore or any bolt action rifle only, not the older Contenders. Try varying your bullet seating depth to get a bit better accuracy.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that info. I haven't started reloading yet. Use to do a little, 20 or so years ago was the last time. I been getting a lot of 1/2" groups at 175 yds with the Hornady 40 grain Molly ballistic tip and want to match there performance best possible. They've gone up $3.00 a box since the last 200rds I purchased and with several hundred rounds of fire formed brass I thought it was about time I tried loading some myself.