New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saeed, reloading data
 Login/Join

<bigcountry>
posted
I was looking over your groups and reloading data. All of your guns tested seem to have extremely good accuracy. I was particularly interested in your 300RUM Sendaro data. Do you do these tests in a vise with no human intereaction besides pulling the trigger? Or are these groups on Sandbags? Do these factory guns go thru any break in period? Do you ever just get a dud gun, that won't shoot good groups? All your guns seem to be tack drivers. I have a Rem. 700 BDL SS in 300RUM, that I can't get 2" groups. Still working on the load with no luck and the barrel is extremely rough and the gun gets coppered up after 4 shots. But on your data, there isn't a load or bullet that is over 1.3" or so. Just curious.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
bigcountry,

All our loads are developed in the respective rifles mentioned above that data.

I do most of the shooting myself here in our underground shooting tunnel. I think this helps as we do not have to worry about wind, mirage and so on.

I have tried one of those Lahti rifle rests which are supposed to be the final word in accuracy. But did not find it as advertised. I can out shoot it anyday, regardless of caliber.

We normally do some checks on all our rifles before we shoot them. We adjust the trigger, re-bed the action, and sometimes even re-fit the barrel to the action.

We've had some rifles where the barrel is not aligned with the action at all.

Sometimes we get lucky and get a real gem - like that 300 RUM you mentioned. The only thing I did to it is adjust the trigger, otherwise it is as it came from the factory. It has an extremely good barrel, and very fast too.

We've had some rifles that would not even shoot a 3 inch group. Generally those are of European manufacture, made on cheap copies of the Mauser action, and have barrels that look like a railway junction on the inside!

When one comes in here now, the first thing I do is look at the barrel with a bore scope, and explain to whoever brought it in to better use it as a wall hanger - not shooter!

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67036 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed I understand what you are saying,I have a .30-378 Wby Accumark; every rifle is " particular", I dont mind that,concerning my "particular" rifle I have to this point shooting at least 300 rounds with no good accuracy; the problem is was I really dont find the right bullet for it;I will try some new bullets and I know I will find one suitable for my rifle. Concerning this rifle you have noted that rifle has throat erosion only or so after 50 rounds;I must presume that a big bore will have throat erosion also;I wonder why you are only "talking about" this "particular caliber...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Rejpelly,

All rifles will have some throat errosion eventually, but the ones that use large amounts of powder in relatively small bores tend to errode much faster.

That is why I mentione this one and the 300 Pegasus, which is even worse.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

Posts: 67036 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Big Country,

Does your gun have iron sights?

If it does try shooting a group at 25 yds from a rest with iron sights. A very precision 3 shot group.

You should be able to get between .30-.40 size group.

Then move to 50 yds and do the same. You should be able to get between .6-.8

If you can I think you have scope mounting problems.

If you can't either send it to Remington or take it to a gunsmith and then have the action bedded and trigger adjusted to see what you get.

I would also suggest flitzing the bbl.

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

one of us
posted Hide Post
By the way Saeed, while we are on the topic. What do you use for moly?

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Dan,

We use molly as supplied by NECO, and we use a large rotary tumbler in which I think you can put as many as 1000 168 MK bullets at a time.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

<bigcountry>
posted
Saeed, all I can say is that is some impressive shooting you do.

I don't have iron sites, it is a Rem. 700 BDL SS. Think I am going to step back and start over, first by sending the Leupold scope back to be checked and next having Remington check out the gun. And if they send it back with tight groups, I don't mind that. I can always practice more with it. But when me and the smith looked at the barrel with a borescope, it was very rough. If remington don't help me, I will run Tubbs Final Finish thru it. One last thought is most all the data I see, people, gets the best results with the max loads for these guns. But yours seems to be in the middle of the spectrum. Do you think your they just are looking for speed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a remington that was bedded so poorly that the thing wouldn't shoot 8 in groups. took her apart free floated the barrel glass bedd the action ajusted the trigger. Some times they shoot good out of the box other times you have to work on them.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
P-Dog, I agree about the bedding. It took me a while to get the bedding right. Also got the trigger to 2lbs. The barrel and throat looks so rough in most remingtons I see these days. It still copper fouls badly after 4 or 5 shots after around 200 rounds thru the gun total. Makes it hard to test loads. My first 4 shots shoot around 1" groups but after that all bets are off. And to get those 1" groups, I have to let the gun cool down for 10minutes between shots.