Find
Notify
Tools

Best powder for .300 Winchester Magnum?
 Login/Join

<Canaduck>
posted
Hi guys!

Just wondering what you are using for powder in your 300? Currently I use IMR 4350 but the only reason is because that was what was recommended at the gun-shop. I hunt around home here on the Saskatchewan prairies or up north in the bush. We definitely hunt during some cold weather. The powder will be used behind 180 grain Ballistic Tips for deer. Any thoughts appreciated!

------------------

<Eric Leonard>
posted
with the 180 in the win mag RL22 is the powder.4350 is decent with light bullets but you need a slow burner for the 180.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use some original surplus 4831, which burns more like IMR 7828 than the currently manufactured 4831's. Try 7828. I also agree that RL 22 should be good, and H4831 would be right in there, too. You won't find any noticable advantage in IMR 4831 over IMR 4350.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<PA_HUNTER>
posted
I have had very good luck with both H1000 & RL-22. The Alliant people are a dream to deal with, so I have been moving more of my business that way.

<dickens>
posted
i use imr4350 with very good results but i have a 300win with a 22 inch barrel and need a little faster powder with 180gr bullet i am getting 2930fps.

Just wondering what you are using for powder in your 300? Currently I use IMR 4350 but the only reason is because that was what was recommended at the gun-shop. I hunt around home here on the Saskatchewan prairies or up north in the bush. We definitely hunt during some cold weather. The powder will be used behind 180 grain Ballistic Tips for deer. Any thoughts appreciated!

[/B][/QUOTE]

<Rye>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Canaduck:
Hi guys!

RL22 is the powder! It works great in the .300 win mag and the .300 weatherby.
It is basically the same as Norma MRP.
Actually alliant uses the same powder manufacturer subcontractor in sweden.
Good stuff! I went to it after never being able to find Norma MRP.
give it a try. I think you will like it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not tried them all but in four different rifles (Sako, Sauer, Brown Precision, and Arnold Arms) I always got the very best results with Norma MRP, which, according to many people, is the same powder as Re 22.
Never shot anything lighter than 180 grains, though.
Montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote