Find
Notify
Tools

Worth It?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted
I have been reloading for my rifles and a S&W 460 Mag. forever. I have a progressive press for shotgun shells and assume the system is the same?

Having just purchased a 1911 I suspect I will be burning a lot more ammo. What are the thoughts on just buying ammo when available or investing on a progressive press.

If an investment is in the future, what is the hot setup these days?

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've burned a LOT of pistol ammo over the years. Still using the old single stage press. But I will take advantage of a good price for factory ammo as well.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I run a Hornady Lock-N-Load AP when loading most of my straight walled pistol ammo. These are great presses, especially for the money. I hear guys brag about their Dillon XL650 but the Dillons are a lot more money invested and they do the same thing. I would hate to have to go back to loading large amounts of pistol ammo on a single stage press again.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you checked the "Feinstein panic" price of ammo recently. Save your brass, start casting, get a progressive press and buy powder and primers while you still can.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I am loading 45acp with cast my own bullets right now for around 3 bucks a box.

Buy a Lee 1000 easy 300 to 500 rounds a hr.

lets say 300 6 boxs store cost mim 20 bucks saveing 17 a box times 6 102 dollars frist hr in 2 hrs one pays for the press.

With sky hi prices now lets say 10 dollars a box the your saveing 60 dollars an hr.

It also depends on what one makes per hour at your job. When I could work a lot of OT at 44 dollars an hr it payed to work and buy ammo.

Now that Iam retired it pays to load ammo.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use a Hornady Pro Jector and would buy a new LNL now. A friend "had" a lee progressive but could not make it work and dumped it for a Dillon, which he promptly dumped for a Hornady and now he is very happy and productive.

Posts: 17295 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45-70 shooter:
Have you checked the "Feinstein panic" price of ammo recently. Save your brass, start casting, get a progressive press and buy powder and primers while you still can.

Be sure to send email and phone calls to your senators and US representative. Do this at least twice a week. Keep the pressure on them. Doesn't matter which way they lean on the issue. They haven't forgotten what happened to their buddies in the election after they passed the now expired assault weapons ban in 1996.

Then if we prevail(I think we will)the "panic" will subside and prices will return to more realistic levels.

Sorry for hijacking this post. But needs to said again and again.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I started shooting more 40 S&W and 45 ACP along with a ton of .223 from our AR15 this past year and as my wife and I got by just fine with my single station there were more than a couple sessions I would have rather had a Hornady Ammo Factory or a Dillon 550 all tricked out to churn out ammo

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
hornady LnL - it is feature comparable with the dillon 650, but cost on the 550.

GET IT

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote