New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hodgdon Benchmark in the .223 Remington
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking for a good "recipe" for a .223 Remington using Hodgdons Benckmark. I hate to picky on bullet selection but I'd like to primarily stick with 40 gr. to 50 gr. V-Max however any information on bullet weight would be greatly appreciated as this will be used for groundhogs at ranges of less than 300 yds. Thanks to all in advance.

Posts: 49 | Location: Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bubster, Just tried some of the Benchmark with 50gr bullets last week. It seemed to want to group better than I was shooting, but 5-shot groups under 1" were common for all the various Loads I tried.

However, what works well in my rifle might not shoot worth an "Impeached-Clinton" in your rifle. There is no such thing as a "Perfect Load" for use in every rifle of the same caliber.

Just start 2.0gr below the MAX Load shown on the Benchmark jug, load 5, increase the load by 0.2gr and load 5 more, etc. Shoot them and see which one your rifle likes the best while watching closely for Pressure Signs.

That is the way I do it. Then you can fine tune the final Load by varying the Seating Depth.

------------------
Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote