Find
Notify
Tools

Redding Ultramag or Forster Co-Ax?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,
My reloading room and bench are finished and am trying to narrow down my final purchase to the appropriate press. I've narrowed it down to either the Forster Co-Ax or the Redding Ultramag. I'll be loading facory cartridges from .22 Hornet to .375 H&H Magnum with the majority of my work on .300 Winchester Magnum and Shorter.

I'm drawn to the Forster Co-Ax because of its excellent ergonomics, spent primer collection, and general quality and smooth operation. The only thing that dissuades me is its inability to use Redding Competition seaters and bushing sizers longer than .308 Winchester. Which leads me to Forster's own Ultra Seater and FL sizers. I've been told they are excellent, however, they are pretty much limited to standard chambering that would limit any wildcat loading down the road. This limitation leads me to the Redding Ultramag which seems to be about the most solid press currently available. Also Ken Howell recommended it to me a little over a year ago. His recommendation carries a great deal of weight with me.

I'm ready to go short of press and dies. I decided to go with a Wilson/Sinclair case trimmer, Sinclair Phase II Priming tool, Harrell Premium Culver Measure, Starrett 6 inch Dial Caliper, and Pact Precision Digital Scale(I'm aware of the mixed reputation). Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas..

Regards, Matt.

[This message has been edited by Matt in Virginia (edited 12-23-2001).]

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Re: "The only thing that dissuades me is its inability to use Redding Competition seaters and bushing sizers longer than .308 Winchester." This is not true! Because many say so, there must be some Redding Competition seaters that won't fit without alteration of the wishbone handle, but I've not run into one yet. It WILL handle most of them, particularly the short cases. My bushing sizers include .338 Win Mag and 300 WSM and it handles them as well. In fact, I can't imagine a reason it wouldn't handle anything much bigger. I'd suggest discussing your concerns with the Forster technical people. Of the 7 or so presses I've owned, the Coax is far and above any of the others in accuracy and its ability to produce concentric cartridges with ease and less mechanical effort. While I don't have and have never use the big Redding press, I do have a Rockchucker and a Lyman Orange Crusher (which is the most accurate of the conventional presses,) and the coax is my preferred press for ease of use and accurate reloads. I load many cartridges including 416 Rigby and 375 H&H and have never had a problem of any sort with the press in accommodating longer cartridges. The biggest negative to the Coax is the inability to use the press for reaming necks in a neck reaming die. The handle gets in the way.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
I greatly appreciate the first hand information on the Co-Ax and Redding's Competition Dies. I have a Co-Ax on order through Sinclair. Happy Holidays. Matt.

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt in Virginia:
I have a Co-Ax on order through Sinclair.

Smart move, my friend. Good luck.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
It would appear that the Forster Co-Ax is unavailable for atleast the next 5 to 6 weeks. This directly from the folks at Forster. It appears they recieved a number of large orders, including one from the Italian Government for 30 units, and their productions capacity has been overwhelmed. My time is limited, like everyone elses I suppose, and I'm leaning toward getting the Redding and getting started. Thoughts? Regards, Matt.

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Try MidSouth Shooter Supply and Grafl & Son. Both stock the coax at better prices than Sinclair.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
That's "Graf & Son":

www.grafs.com

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob338, several days, I e-mailed Redding regarding using 280AI competition dies in my Co-Ax and they said that they were too tall to clear the arm of the Co-Ax. I would order Forrster dies but I don't think they make 280AI dies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I upgraded all my equipment a couple of years ago using Redding pieces. UltraMag, powder measure, dies, etc.

I cannot imagine you ever regretting the UltraMag and Redding dies. My primary use is for .375 H&H loads.

The quality of the machine work is wonderful. The difference becomes obvious when simply setting up the tools.

There is certainly nothing wrong with the more popular and economical brands but I think Redding is a cut above. And the cost reflects this!

Forster makes great tools as well, hence their reputation. I am not experienced with their equipment and cannot comment whether it is superior to Redding.

Regards,

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
I greatly appreciate the tip on Graf & Sons. I checked their website and they have the Co-Ax in stock. They're closed until the 29th for inventory. Will give them a call as soon as they're available.

Guy,
Your correct that Forster does not make a 280 Remington Ackley Improved Ultra Seater Die. The only AI cartridges they list are the .257 AI and the .30-06' AI oddly enough. I don't know if I need the Redding Competition Dies, however, it is nice to have the option. The only thing that disuades me from the Co-Ax is the limitation one die selection imposed by the operating handle.

I continue to hear that Forster makes a very good die, while the Redding Competition unit is most likely the best threaded die available. I just hate to buy very good when the best is only marginally more expensive. The limitation on longer wildcat chamberings may cast the deciding vote.

Happy Holidays.

[This message has been edited by Matt in Virginia (edited 12-27-2001).]

<Delta Hunter>
posted
Matt, you are obviously a man who appreciates quality. I do too, almost to a fault. I have the Co-Ax press and really like it. I have not tried the Redding Competition dies. However, I have tried the Redding S-type bushing dies, but I never got the results I desired. On a whim I purchased the Lee collet neck die. It was cheap so I had little to lose. When I got it I thought, "what a cheap piece of crap". It was not finished to the level you would expect from Redding and as a result, did not function properly. I took it apart and polished the collet, collet sleeve and mandrel. After the addition of a little lubrication I tried it and it worked great, the straightest ammo I ever loaded. My Reddings now sit in their boxes unused.

So, get the Co-Ax, Lee collet neck dies, Redding body dies and the Forster Ultra seater.

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
My question--do you need special rings on the dies for the co-ax?? OR can you use pretty much any die from hornady, rcbs, forester, lee?? I'm thinking I have to get one and put my rock chucker to rest--do I need to modify my dies in any way??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don, only for the lee's, their stupid "O"ring die rings have no means to lock the dies,(no set screw), so you'd better order some from RCBS, hornady or forester for any lee dies you have. All other dies I have used work good in the co-ax.

------------------
if you run, you just die tired

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
The biggest problem with ANY die IS the lock ring. Any lock ring that does not lock and conform to the threads of the die is a problem in ANY press. Those which lock to the threads with a set screw into the die threads, or the rubber O ring in the Lees, allows the dies to cant to the limit of the slop in the threads. This can allow the die to cant and create an offset in sizing or seating. They can be adjusted buy are a bit more difficult because of the possibility of canting and not being square and at exact right angle to the ram and shell holder.

Only the Hornady and Forsters do this. I've heard new Lyman lock rings may also do this but I've not seen the new ones. You can use the Redding rings subject to the caution mentioned. The RCBS rings are a bit more difficult because of the hex configuration, but they will work if need.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Delta Hunter,
I think we talked about the Co-Ax awhile back when you bought yours from Sinclair. Finally getting my own reloading setup together and generally overthinking things(grin). You're right about quality and I can relate to carrying it to a fault.

It's often difficult to accept that quality and performance are not necessarily always one and the same. Had to learn that the hard and expensive way on scopes. Started with a Leupold. Performed extremely well. Worked my way through Nightforce, Swarovski, and Schmidt and Bender looking for the better mousetrap. Wound up back with a Leupold. I suppose I should've taken abit of that advice here to.

Happy Holidays, Matt.