New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help ! huge reloading problem BAR
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Trying to reload for my 300WSM BAR. Problem is I cannot get resized cases out of the gun when I let the bolt slam into battery! If I slowly let the bolt go, the bolt does not go completely into battery. I have to push it all the way in. I have tried varying the depth of the resizing die with no help. Cases are trimmed to length. Using Hornady dies. Am I missing something here?
Any help is appreciated.

Posts: 353 | Location: Lakeville, MN | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I suggest you coat a round that you know will not fit with a Magic Marker and then attempt to chamber it to pinpoint just what the problem is. The marker will be rubbed off at any points that are binding. Just a guess, but I suspect the base is not being sufficiently sized and may require an undersized sizing die.

one of us
Picture of Canadian reloarder
posted Hide Post
I suggest you try using small base dies. Most manafactures supply these dies. They bring the case back to the original size of virgin brass. They are reccomended for most semi-autos, lever & pump action rifles. These actions do not have the camming action of bolt actions. Hope this helps.

Posts: 172 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tried marking the case. Nothing definitive. Asked Midway about small base dies. Will let you folks know what happens. Right now I am pissed. Oh yea, miked the resized case and a factory case. The base of the resized case is .005 bigger than the factory case. Can this be the problem? All other dimensions were good.

Posts: 353 | Location: Lakeville, MN | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had trouble with my Hornady 300WSM dies as well. I had to screw the die down so the shellholder is jamming hard into the die base, before full stroke. I thought I was going to break my press [Eek!] The Hornady dimensions are narrow so therefore the brass flows up and the shoulder has to be bumped back. I bought Redding dies and [Smile]

Posts: 101 | Location: Canada | Registered: 26 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I've got a friend who had a 7mm Rem Mag BAR. After doing all sorts of manipulations including the SB dies, he has conceded to using factory ammo.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem few years ago, with my BAR in .300 Win Mag. I had to "shorten" the resizing die with the lathe, 2/10 mm at the bottom, since that no more problems. I believe that BARs have chamber dimensions on the minimal size - Lorenzo.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to say that I found no need of "small base" dies. - Lorenzo

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Used SB died hard against the shell holder for a .338 Win Mag BAR. Worked fine.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Instead of milling down your die base, mill down the shell holder...you just want the die to come a bit closer to the base. If it doesn't work, you still have your dies intact.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sabot:
Instead of milling down your die base, mill down the shell holder...you just want the die to come a bit closer to the base. If it doesn't work, you still have your dies intact.

Even easier (but more expensive): Redding makes a set of shellholders that vary in height for making adjustments to obtain the proper effective headspace.

Sinclair International carries them.

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm using RCBS small base dies in my .30-06 BAR, no problems at all, it seats the round fine in the chamber and will cycle through the whole magazine just fine, I would try those before I started grinding on my dies or shellplates.

Posts: 21 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
Not to be smartbutt but you may need to make sure your Resizeing die is set Correctly for Full Lenght Resizeing.
I may be wrong but have been told you don't need a Small Base Resizeing Die for the BAR.I know my uncle has a 270win Bar and uses Small Base Dies,don't think he has tried the Reg.dies to see.
I haven't saw or heard of any Small Base Dies for the WSM yet,but they have come out with them.

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found the instructions with the Hornady dies to be very confusing. |I will try to adjust the die lower into the press and see what happens. Still no word from Mideay on the SB dies.

|Thanks to all of you.