Find
Notify
Tools

500 nitro express
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After a wait of well over a year my Searcy 500
has finally turned up.Beautiful rilfe-will post pics latter.The question is does anyone know if his recommened load of 110gns of IMR4831 has been pressure tested anywhere.These powders are impossible to get in Australia but we have a number of similar local powders which Wright
tested in his "Reloading the British Double Rifle"
Also-any pressure tested R15 loads out there?

Australia
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

Posts: 302 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wombat:
After a wait of well over a year my Searcy 500
has finally turned up.Beautiful rilfe-will post pics latter.The question is does anyone know if his recommened load of 110gns of IMR4831 has been pressure tested anywhere.These powders are impossible to get in Australia but we have a number of similar local powders which Wright
tested in his "Reloading the British Double Rifle"
Also-any pressure tested R15 loads out there?

I can't help you with your pressure request directly as I'm not equipt do do them. However
I own the same rifle and have cronographed Butches "factory" load.

I get 2108 (avg.) out of my Searcy with IMR4831 using HDS (BeLL) brass and Fed. 215 primers with Woodleigh 570 gr. softs. This measurement was taken 10 feet from the muzzle as being much closer causes the crono to shed it's sky screens due to muzzle blast.

This velocity is right in line with the older Cordite 80 gr. load as that was in a 28 inch barrel for 2150 FPS.

Graemes load testing was mostly with (ADI) AR2209 and from looking at pg. 124 "Load One" in his book I would think 102 gr. would get you pretty close to that velocity. Having said that I know there are quite a few Aussis on this board that have doubles so I'm guessing that someone will jump in with just the information your looking for Big Grin

Hope I've been a little help...

Roi

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
in oz, you got the private lable for rl-15... that's the powder for rimmed rounds

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38527 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wombat,

I have a Searcy .500 which regulates with 110.0 IMR4831, but is also pretty close with 96.0 grains Reloader 15 (plus filler) or 103.0 grains H4350.

The fundamental problem with Reloader 15 is that you need a filler, which I do not like at all.

As for primers, use Federal 215 magnum primers. They burn hotter than Rem or Win primers.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerHey guys with the big rifles, watch it because some of the Numb nuts out there might read this forum and next be saying you have to have a 500 Nitro for killing elk or maybe even mule deer. They already think 30/338 is the only rifle to use!. Good hunting with the 500!

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote