Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

which primer for ball powders?
 Login/Join

posted
i am using alot of wc844 and winchester 748 ball powders.i load the 223,30-30,30/06,303,308,22-250.which primers are the best with ball powders in these carts?do i need magnum primers?thanks don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I load 748 in a .223 Ruger #1V. I use Rem 7 1/2 and/or CCI 400 and see absolutely no difference.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with the CCI400, the Remington 7 1/2 might be considered a "Magnum" primer, it was designed to not have piercing problems like the 6 1/2 did with the pressures of the .223 class cartidges. I would think that the Winchester small rifle magnum primer would be just the ticket for you if you are concerned about possible ignition problems. After all, they use their own primers with their own ball powders. It is/was generally accepted that the ball powders were more consistantly ignited using magnum primers as the deterrent coatings on the powder made it more difficult to ignite than tubular nitrocellulose powders.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddhotbot:
i am using alot of wc844 and winchester 748 ball powders.i load the 223,30-30,30/06,303,308,22-250.which primers are the best with ball powders in these carts?do i need magnum primers?thanks don

The short answer is no, you don't.

Posts: 5752 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddhotbot:
Reloading manuals almost universally recommend magnum primers for use with ball powders. I personally have not found this necessary. I have used both Federal 210 and CCI large-rifle primers with ball powders in non-magnum cases with no problems. Some people have reported hangfires with powders like H450, WW760, etc., when using standard primers. This has not happened to me, however.

I reserve magnum primers for use with rounds like the .375 H&H and .416 Rigby.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
FrownerGot a lot of hang fires with WCC844 and WCC846 in one of my large capacity wildcats and others. Magnum primers solved the problem SOME TIMES especially in lower volume cartridges with these two powders. Had a similar problem with H110 in revolvers with light bullets and or somewhat reduced charges. Winkroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use the Federal 215 magnum primer with the large cases, e.g., 500 Nitro Express, 460 Weatherby, etc.

Ran a designed test using both Remington and Federal standard and magnum primers in the 300 Winchester Magnum with ball powder. Did not find a difference in velocity or accuracy between the standard and magnum primers.

Your experience and opinions will vary.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the Winchester reloading booklet, they state that all the loads were worked up using their standard primer.(WLR) I've used standard primers with W-748, 760 and WMR with excellent results. Now, I might consider using a magnum primer with those powders, especially WMR, if I knew that the area where I'd be hunting was extremely cold. here in Arizona, the coldest I've seen on an elk hunt might be about 32 degrees and it warmed up rather quickly. By mid afternoon, it could be anywhere from 60 ro 80 degrees.
However, I do use Winchester WLR primers which are supposed to be a bit hotter than most standard primers.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
FrownerGot a lot of hang fires with WCC844 and WCC846 in one of my large capacity wildcats and others. Magnum primers solved the problem SOME TIMES especially in lower volume cartridges with these two powders. Had a similar problem with H110 in revolvers with light bullets and or somewhat reduced charges. Winkroger

I too got a lot of hangfires using h-380 ball powder in larger capacity cases (55-60 grains). Smaller capacity cases (22-250) always worked fine with benchrest CCI primers.

Posts: 165 | Location: PA | Registered: 22 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TBS:
Smaller capacity cases {i.e.} (22-250) always worked fine with benchrest CCI primers.

Same for me.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote