THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

180 grain swift scirroco and elevated pressure?
 Login/Join

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
Has anyone noticed this bullet making extra pressure over and above other 180 grainers??
My Quickload program "predicts" about 6,000 extra psi over a nosler partition because of the xtra length of the bullet. Has anyone had a "warm" load go "hot" with this bullet?
thanks d kraky Quickload is sometimes pretty "aggressive" with it's thinking on longer bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don,
That isn't surprising as they are of a soft copper structure for "goooey" expansion and that creates a little more drag thus pressure, simular to a Woodleigh, but not enough to matter in that with 1 gr. less you will equal a 1 gr. plus on the chronograph, in other words you will more than likely get the same velocity and pressure as the Nosler with a grain less powder.....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
I haven't gone as technical as you, but never could get them to fly right in my 300RUM. They did perform strangely however. All groups, as loose as they were was consistently 2"-3" higher than any other 180g boattail. I notice bullets flying different but that much of a rise seems strange to me. The people as Swift said it was due to the vibrations in the barrel. It went way over my head so I decided not to use them anymore.

BC

<Santa Claus>
posted
I have found that they cause elevated pressure because of the longer bearing surface. I load these the same as Barnes,and it seems to work ok. I too, have not been able to get any accuracy with any of the Scirroccos, so I quit using them, and went back to the trusted Sierra, and GS custom HV.

<OKShooter>
posted
I did some testing of the 30 caliber 180 gr. Scirocco some time ago in a Winchester M70 '06. My basic load used new W-W brass, WLR primer, and 58 grs. of H4350. A standard Hornady 180 gr. SP produced 2696 fps @ 53,800 psi, and this was pretty much typical of conventional 180 gr. flat-based bullets.

The Scirocco, however, pushed the velocity to 2786 fps and pressure to 60,900 psi. This was more in line with the Barnes XFB which gave 2750 fps @ 59,600 psi.

For anyone load the Scirocco, I suggest that they follow load guides for Barnes X bullets.

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
Thanks OK--Apparently Quickload is pretty much "on the money". I had loaded my friend with 58.0 of re 19 which probably is on the warm side. It shot good but, Ithink I'm going to download the next batch to 57.0.