New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cost seem to be rising!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Yesterday, while I was in to my wholesalers place to pick up an order of powder, they had a few primers of various sizes, too. I promptly picked up what they would allow me to buy. Appears prices on primers have increased some. This wholesaler is not known to 'gouge' on pricing. They have 'held the line' on prices in the the past. I guess it shouldn't be of any surprise that whole sale prices are on the increase. The last order of powder they got didn't have near the variety they usually receive. But, the price on powder was the same as it has been.

Posts: 715 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Fear and greed control all markets, and the panic buying this year of great turmoil and political unrest is noting new. Happens ever 4 years; I have watched it since the GCA of 68.
Guys and girls, are buying way more than they need of everything. I know people who have many lifetimes of primers and powder, and 22 ammo. One of my wife's prepper friends has 50K rounds of 22 ammo, and NO guns. (It's trading stock, she said) I asked her what her defense plan was. She had a blank look. So, this is all based on fear, and greed; not real user demand.
They do not care about anyone else. I tell them, I'll just wait for your estate sale.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
.. and i recall when $6.99 per k was high for primers..

in 2009, prices got STUPID ... we went from 9.99 per k to 100.. at the STORE and gray market went to 200 .. frankly, according to gunroker, $125 is the bottom price.

there's "none" available from the usual sources, midway lists at $50/k, with NO backorder available.

I expect $300 per k, and at least $100 per # being the new norm -- and 'no' factory ammo available for at least a year

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, people got stupid really quickly.
Those who needed it and didn’t stay on top of the trend and those who panic-buy or hoard for no good reason both fall into the same nutty group.

I’ve seen some of the crazy pricing! Wow

We best not buy a gun unless we can buy ammo for it or have reloading components.

Even dies and other reloading equipment is super tough to acquire right now. Crazy and a bit scary!

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
I was on Gunbroker last night and saw a listing for an 8 pound jug of Varget. Asking price? Sit down first, $949.00. Now I don't think things have got quite this crazy yet, but the primer prices are quite scary.

Posts: 798 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slivers:
Yesterday, while I was in to my wholesalers place to pick up an order of powder, they had a few primers of various sizes, too. I promptly picked up what they would allow me to buy. Appears prices on primers have increased some. This wholesaler is not known to 'gouge' on pricing. They have 'held the line' on prices in the the past. I guess it shouldn't be of any surprise that whole sale prices are on the increase. The last order of powder they got didn't have near the variety they usually receive. But, the price on powder was the same as it has been.
Just to clarify a bit, the price increase was, on average, $3.75/1000

Posts: 715 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And ya, some retail prices are plumb crazy. I mark-up the wholesale cost I pay by 20%. I damn sure ain't gettin' rich off of that!

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Bad thing is with the prices up like they are there are some places that won't come back down to "normal" prices after the current stupidity subsides.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Where I reside in Nevada primers and ammo are non existant. I wandered into one of 3 stores that sell components and was able to get 1# each H110 for 26.99 and and Imr 4227 for 31.99.
There were a few others on the shelf but mostly pistol and shotgun with no 4350 or rifle powder as such.
It is ridiculous at the moment and I hope it doesn't last to long.
I have seen the asking prices on various places online and on ads and wow...

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I got burned during the first panic hoarding spree of Obama's first term. I started buying all the components I needed as they came available and shelves filled up because I knew it was going to happen again and it did. Now it's happening one more time.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not difficult to see why wholesale prices might increase over pre-pandemic "normal". Production and supply chain disrupted by covid, especially the response to covid. Covid is fast becoming another new "normal".

Not to mention wanton spending/stimulus/pork from our currency-debasing gubmint.

Current retail craziness....well, not much to discuss there. Not a good time to buy anything unnecessary.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
And it's all going to get worse when this new senile dip stick that somehow got elected gets in office in January.

Steve......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My costs are not rising; I can't find anything :-(

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1111 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
.. and i recall when $6.99 per k was high for primers..

in 2009, prices got STUPID ... we went from 9.99 per k to 100.. at the STORE and gray market went to 200 .. frankly, according to gunroker, $125 is the bottom price.

there's "none" available from the usual sources, midway lists at $50/k, with NO backorder available.

I expect $300 per k, and at least $100 per # being the new norm -- and 'no' factory ammo available for at least a year

There is still factory ammo, .270 Win, .25-06; 7mm mag on the shelves around here.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1568 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does a small arms ammo sticker cost at UPS?

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nothing; there is no such thing. Small Arms ammo is classified as ORM-D, Other Regulated Materials. Not like explosives, all you do is write ORM-D on the box. Pay the regular shipping rates.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ANTELOPEDUNDEE:
There is still factory ammo, .270 Win, .25-06; 7mm mag on the shelves around here.

the other day, i was in wallyworld - the only things in the store were 358 legend, 28ga, and 17 something or other --

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Nothing; there is no such thing. Small Arms ammo is classified as ORM-D, Other Regulated Materials. Not like explosives, all you do is write ORM-D on the box. Pay the regular shipping rates.

That is changing as 12-31-2020 ORM-D will no longer be a valid shipping label and well not be excepted.

Here is the new label specs.

https://www.lion.com/Lion-News...ents%20shown%20above.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

I recall getting a package with that label on it

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up Pdog. That's good to know. I assume that the UPS stores will be carrying the new labels?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like a black magic marker work work well.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote