New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm-08 AI loads and case forming
 Login/Join

<we>
posted
I would like to gather all the info I can on fireforming brass for 7mm-08 AI. Also loads and bullets in the 120-140 range.I am not new to reloading but this is my first case forming mission and I need detailed instructions.
Thanks, WE

<Deafdog>
posted
Hi we
Welcome to the forum.I can relate to how you feel about fireforming.
Do a search on fireforming using the search function of this forum and it will turn up a wealth of information and opinions.
Good luck!
Regards
Deafdog

------------------
deafdog@turboweb.net.au
http://deafdog.turboweb.net.au

<sure-shot>
posted
Hopefully your chamber was cut so your brass headspaces on the shoulder-neck junction with the std 7-08 case. Your bolt should close with slight resistance on std brass if if your rifle headspaces this way. This will allow you to shoot factory ammo as well without stretching or weakening the case webs of your brass. IMHO this is the correct way for headspacing in an improved chamber. If your rifle does not seat this way you may have to seat your bullets off the lands to keep the case heads againest your boltface.

Now you may proceed with fire-forming. You may use the cream of wheat method described at: http://www.angelfire.com/ma/ZERMEL/index.html then click at bottom on 2nd page.

Or you may fire-form with handloads using a fairly stiff charge out of the handload manuals for the std 7-08. I used a fire-form load using Varget, Rem 140gr bullets(they cost less) and Fed 210 primers. Shoot about 1 or 2 gr less than the max listed for the std 7-08. Don't overheat your barrel! You may be suprised how accurate your fire-form load is.

Good powders for the 7-08AI using 120gr-140gr bullets are RL15, Varget, and H4350. The slower powders may require a drop tube on some combinations. I would select RP or WW brass. Be aware of too undersize brass with certain lots!

You did not state your barrel length so I will quote you what my 22.5" bbl is pushing:

Varget, 120gr Nosler Bts 3120fps
RL15, 120gr Nosler BTs 3150fps
H4350, 140gr Hornadys BTSP 2950fps
RL15, 140gr Nosler Part 2995fps

Start out with the near max book loads for the std 7-08 and work up.
I plan on trying RL19 with the 140s this spring using a special drop tube put out by Hornady. RL19 is a tad slow but just may work if compressed after the drop tube trick. sure-shot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Case forming is as previously described. for load data look in Wolfe's book of wildcat cartridges. Layne Simpson built a 7mm SGLC which is pretty much the same cartridge. If your 7mm-08 AI is built on a 788 or other rear locking action, DO NOT start out with near max loads. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote