New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is synthetic stock can handle -40F/BIG BORE
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I will go hunting in Bay Games Quebec Canada in January;the temperature can go below -40F or less, I will use two rifles in synthetic stock;.30-378 Wby,.338-378 Wby. I usually use wooden stock in calibers .300 Winchester or 7 Rem magnum.HOW DO YOU THINK THE SYNTHETIC WILL REACT AT THESE VERY LOW EXTREME TEMPERATURES.

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is BAY JAMES...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Contact the manufacturer of the stock; their products MAY get brittle at that temperature.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rejpelly:
I will go hunting in Bay Games Quebec Canada in January;the temperature can go below -40F or less, I will use two rifles in synthetic stock;.30-378 Wby,.338-378 Wby. I usually use wooden stock in calibers .300 Winchester or 7 Rem magnum.HOW DO YOU THINK THE SYNTHETIC WILL REACT AT THESE VERY LOW EXTREME TEMPERATURES.

I have a Hogue stock on my .338,three butler creek mauser ( 2 .30-06 & 1 .300WM) and one Bell & Carlson .458WM. I cant say I have been out in -40f temps,too dam COLD! But they work fine in -30f temps!!

Have Fun!!

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rej we just call it James Bay. As for the -40 temps on sysnthetics, I have been out in those temperatures (ok, I was insane) and haven't had any problems with any synthetic stocks. However, I also haven't dropped them, knocked them against a stump or truck, or had a horse roll on them. So how they would fare in those extreme circumstances I don't know. I have had bolts freeze, so you'll want to degrease very carefully, and I wouldn't bring the rifle in out of the cold at night either, condensation problems. Hope this helps. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I live in Manitoba and we get our fair share of cold weather. I've hunted at -40 with several synthetic stocks and have had no problems. Leaving the rifles out in the cold is very good advice.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote