New
Find
Notify
Tools

Protecting a balance beam scale from the wind
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Balance beam scales are nice in that they can be tuned to be as accurate as, or even much more accurate than electronic scales. Plus, you dones need to bring power to the range. Here is a way to cure their one achilles heel, the wind:

Potecting Balance Beam Scale from the wind.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
Balance beam scales are nice in that they can be tuned to be as accurate as, or even much more accurate than electronic scales. Plus, you dones need to bring power to the range. Here is a way to cure their one achilles heel, the wind:

Potecting Balance Beam Scale from the wind.

I completely disagree balance beams are more accurate than electronic scale; just google the topic or ask any serious competitive shooter what they use.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I use an electronic scale made by Dillen. battery operated
I use a powder measure and load by volume.
The scale is to check my throws to make sure I am on the mark.
I use to use the scale and a trickler. but with the fine granule powders I don't need too

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I protect my balance beam scales from the wind by only using them in the house. After finding them to be wildly inaccurate when trying to weigh charges in the front yard, I gave up on it.
Tune in for the follow up: "Protecting electronic scales from the rain." Regards, Bill

Posts: 3781 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stay indoors..For weighing powder either the electronic or balance beam scale is all you need..I seldom weigh charges as a rule, I use a powder set with a scale, a powder that pretty well fills the case, and a half grain will not change anything according to all the benchresters I know most of which only use a powder measure on the range. Ive tested myself many times over the years, and still do on occasion, just to make sure..stick powder vari a bit and cut grains so I try to stay away from them these days but keep some like 4831 and 4350 on hand for various reasons.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote