New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old vs New Partition?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The nosler partitions I have been reloading could be up to 30 years old.( If they were made that far back). Would there be any difference between the ones I have and a new box off the shelf? thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I doubt it. I just finished up a vintage box that were of the "wound" construction, or at least looked that way, and they shot just as well as the new ones. Bullets don't get much better than a partition, just more expensive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok. Thanks. I have about 75 of them left and didnt want to spend a bunch of time and powder finding a good load just to find out that I only have 1 or 2 boxs of hunting bullets and then have to start all over again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The original Partitions were made by turning the jackets and can be identified by the rebated section on the outside of the jacket where the partition is. Current Partitions are made with drawn jackets which have no rebate in the middle (but may have a crimping groove on some bullets). Both perform quite similarly in term of terminal performance on game. However, there may be some difference in how their internal ballistics work, so you will want to take that into account.

By the way, the earliest Nosler Partitions are now about 60 years old.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have gone thru at least 3 changes that I am aware of, at least in .338. The first bullets looked like they were turned, had both pointed and semi pointed. The second generation looked like the jackets were extruded and had a crimping groove. Both gen. 1 and 2 shot well in my .338. The third generation (might be more now) looked like the second without the groove. These really ran pressures up and shot like total crap in my rifle, so I haven't tried any others. I have never seen an explanation of why they chose to screw up a really good bullet.
C.G.B.

one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
The 2nd and 3rd gen Partitions shoot great in my .338 No noticable difference. Now the Partition Gold moly coated is a real POS is the accuracy dept.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Have a look at the link below for a discussion on this very topic.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=462106448#462106448

Posts: 784 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote