Find
Notify
Tools

Found a new case lube, WOW!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted
I bought this Dupont Multi-Use Dry, Wax Lubricant for my motorcycle chain, then after noticing the texture of the film I thought Id try it for reloading my cases, it doesnt spray a wide path like the Hornady One Shot so I put the cases in a ziplock bag and the cases of course and sprayed the inside down good, mixed them around and around, I also sprayed the inside of the die beforehand, took the cases out and placed them in the loading block to let them dry for a couple mins, all I have to say is this stuff worked great, checked for stretching before and after sizing and the most was .005". Lets just say ill be using this from now on instead of the Hornady One Shot.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_213197...87?productId=1059839

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
fire a few and tell us if it diesels

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39714 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
fire a few and tell us if it diesels

I know what dieseling is, but what happens in a handloading situation? Does combustion occur between the chamber walls and the cartridge case? If so what are the results?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
tu2Thanks, Jay. I'll get a can and try it. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it's a petroleum product. If so it will kill primers. I ran out of sizing lube one time about 40 years ago. Since it was a long ways to town I decided to use some oil as i was just going to put it on the outside of the cases anyway. Well, to make a long story short I had about a 25% mis-fire rate.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Of course since its a petroleum product I tumbled the cases afterwards.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
dieseling on reloading is where the case gets gas dents from the product either exgasing or detonating under pressure ..

if your cases are oddly dented when using too much, or if they get dents when firing, then yeah..

you are tumbling after resizing and priming? thanks, i'll stay with one of the lanolin products, and use my progressive press

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think Jay was priming before tumbling,I always tumble after resizing and preping cases.Normally putting preped cases into blocks or whatever i'm using to store till ready to load,preped for me does't include primed.

Posts: 64 | Location: Florida | Registered: 18 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Um, no I dont tumble after priming, dont know why anyone would do that. I resize and throw the cases in the tumbler, then I clean the primer pockets, check the case length, trim if necessary, chamfer, then prime, etc etc.

If I were to resize just a few cases id revert back to the Hornady One Shot more than likely. I always tumble after resizing if I have more than 20 cases, no matter what lube Im using.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a thought Jay. A friend has one of those steel pins in a Thumler's tumbler set up for cleaning cases.

Use your new product to size your cases, the run it through the rotary tumbler for a bit. The cleaner in the solution is dish washing liquid, water, small stainless steel pins and a dash of Lemmi-shine (for brightness).

The cleaning cycle will remove all traces of petroleum product. Once the cases are dry, they will be accurately sized, totally clean and shiny to boot. You can then add primers, powder and the bullet.

Good luck, and good shooting.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
LD, Sounds like a good plan, you think if I just ran the cases thru the media it wouldnt get rid of any trace of the lube? The outside of the cases I just did have no trace of lube on them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been using this stuff near 20 years now not a SINGLE problem and a little goes a LONG WAYS . An have yet to stick a case have a misfire or anything but Excellent results . Keep Brass CLEANER slicker longer between polishings !.If It works on Aviation
It works for ME !.
http://boeshield.com/order-onl...s/12-oz-aerosol-can/

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Doc, $17.99/can? Ill stick with my $5 can of Dupont Multi-Use, Im very confident I wont have any problems with it, you'll be the first one to know if I have any issues with it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vaseline works good too. I've used it on some small stuff. It' a hell of lot cheaper and not real messy and cleans up easy.
A little goes a long way.
Works good for dry hands, lips and a whole host of other things.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't pull the panic cord there Jay ; I've never come close to paying that kind of $'s for Boeshield !.

http://www.google.com/products...i=2&ved=0CHEQ8gIwAg#

http://www.finishkare.com/sub_...ts-Wax_Based_6_7.htm

http://www.mclube.com/lubrican...ns=Antistick+Coating

http://www.amazon.com/Dupont-M...TY/ref=pd_sim_auto_3

http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-N...R8/ref=pd_sim_auto_2

http://www.miller-stephenson.c...uWtqgCFQ10gwod02mODQ

http://www.zyvax.com/products

FYI ; Nearly any of the above listed products work " slick " for resizing duties , also helps keep brass clean an shiny retards tarnishing .

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried small base sizing with these lubes?

I stopped looking after I found RCBS water soluble and Imperial sizing wax. None of the spray on lubes I tried had sufficient lubrication to small base a 308 or 30-06 case.

But I did not try these ersatz lubes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone tried small base sizing with these lubes?

Regularly small base dies for M-14 M-1 Boeshield T-9 does all my reloading lubrication an preforms perfectly .

It's simply a spray on liquid fortified paraffin carnuba based wax ,with a drier .

Originally developed by the Boeing Co. for the protection of aircraft parts, this penetrating formula not only displaces water, but also dries to a waxy (not oily) film that protects metals from corrosion for months.

An excellent lubricant, it will not attract dust or dirt as an oil-based lubricant can. It is an ideal treatment for Guns tools intended for storage or usage , particularly in damp conditions.

Teflon wax or sprays will accomplish the same end results . I used Aerowax for ? Years before switching too Boeshield T9.

http://aerolifeindustries.com/...ax-aircraft-wax.html

Some of you might not remember this commercial, us older farts do .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukHvZBFV9M

AEROWAX MT Highly refined plating maskant wax with a melting point range of 168-180°F (76-82°C).

Slipstream wax is also pretty close .

salute archer archer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use mobil 1, a quart lasts a long time for one 10w30. It's pretty thin and cleans up easily.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
dieseling on reloading is where the case gets gas dents from the product either exgasing or detonating under pressure ..

if your cases are oddly dented when using too much, or if they get dents when firing, then yeah..

you are tumbling after resizing and priming? thanks, i'll stay with one of the lanolin products, and use my progressive press

Jeff,

I think that's really stretching to just post something negative. There are some firearms that had the cases lubed to function in the firearm. First one that comes to mind is the Japanese machinegun of WWII that took the long stripper clips. They oiled those babies to get them to work through the mechanism. I've never heard of any dieseling there. In Nam they were told to literally soak their bolts and chambers with LSA oil and they didn't have this dieseling promblem. Now I know if you overlube a bottle neck cartridge it will get oil dents when sizing. Another thing too is if you see waves of like rings or humps in a case, such as a 45-70 you may be seeing the effects of SEE.

At any rate one should clean his case lube off the case before reloading them and shooting them, same as keep the oil out of your chamber.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
J,
wasn't meant to be negative .. it was meant to say "okay, you've got a lube... does it perform like everything else?"

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
I have used at least 20 cans of One Shot with not one problem. Do not know what you guys are doing but it does work for me at least.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss Hoss:
I have used at least 20 cans of One Shot with not one problem. Do not know what you guys are doing but it does work for me at least.

Ive gone thru my share of One Shot, too. Just thought Id try the Dupont lube to see if it would work, it does and does the job very well, and its cheaper than One shot. Only wish it had a wider spray path so I could get the spray inside the case neck, but apparently spraying the die beforehand worked very well and I didnt get excess neck stretch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Gorski:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Boss Hoss:
... Only wish it had a wider spray path so I could get the spray inside the case neck, ...
Hey Jay, Do you think that is a function of the Thickness of the Spray, or would it be possible to swap Spray Caps with one that does spray wider and have what you want?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rae59:
Vaseline works good too. I've used it on some small stuff. It' a hell of lot cheaper and not real messy and cleans up easy.

Its worked well for me for over 55 years. I've tried several of the new "wonders" and have always gone back. I am going to try Imperial the next time I order something to help with the shipping.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on Vaseline (or generic petroleum jelly for that matter!)

Posts: 174 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: 03 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CTSixshot:
+1 on Vaseline (or generic petroleum jelly for that matter!)

coffeeThe vaseline does work OK for most simple sizing and I used it for many years. One draw back was amount control causing case dimpleing. When it came to severe resizing to make wildcat cases for instance it fell a little short. Frowner
Some time ago I switched to Bardahl and found it to work the best. tu2
A mixture of thin motor oil and paraffin makes a nice paste lube but again is amount control sensitive. STP does OK but not as good as the Bardahl. popcorn
I've purchased the DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Dry, Wax, Lube and will put it through it's paces this coming month. Never did have a lot of luck with other spray lubes. In fact it seems I gave a number of bottles away some time ago. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
One draw back was amount control causing case dimpleing. When it came to severe resizing

aka dieseling .

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
One draw back was amount control causing case dimpleing. When it came to severe resizing

aka dieseling .

Come Jeff, bartsche clearly implied that too much lube on the case causes dimpling or creases, whichever you wish to cause them. If it were true diseling it would have enough power to blow your press ram down.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AfricanHunter:
quote:

Its worked well for me for over 55 years. I've tried several of the new "wonders" and have always gone back. I am going to try Imperial the next time I order something to help with the shipping.

I sort of conducted a little test last Sunday using petroleum jelly, AKA Vaseline, and the Imperial wax and a Lee hand press on some 300 WSM brass going the full distance on the die. My logic was that the hand press would easily let me know which was a better lube if there was one. To be quite honest, I think the Vaseline was just as good as the wax maybe even a very small bit better. It does clean off the brass a little better as I can use alcohol to cut it. The wax just transfers to a rag and stays there and doesn't dissolve. I still used the Imperial dry neck lube (graphite) on the necks. It really doesn't matter to me which I use as they both are really good but the petro jelly can be gotten anywhere and is cheaper as you already know.

I really don't see how you could dimple a case with either unless you put it on the neck and shoulder area or you are using more than you would put on your dry lips. Just a very light film of the stuff is all that is needed. But I don't make any exotic wildcat stuff to really put it to the test either as barsche said.

I am still wondering why I got away from it (Vaseline) for a while. Guess I just had to see what else was out there.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AfricanHunter:
quote:

I sort of conducted a little test last Sunday using petroleum jelly, AKA Vaseline, and the Imperial wax and a Lee hand press on some 300 WSM brass going the full distance on the die. My logic was that the hand press would easily let me know which was a better lube if there was one. To be quite honest, I think the Vaseline was just as good as the wax maybe even a very small bit better. It does clean off the brass a little better as I can use alcohol to cut it. The wax just transfers to a rag and stays there and doesn't dissolve. I still used the Imperial dry neck lube (graphite) on the necks. It really doesn't matter to me which I use as they both are really good but the petro jelly can be gotten anywhere and is cheaper as you already know.

I really don't see how you could dimple a case with either unless you put it on the neck and shoulder area or you are using more than you would put on your dry lips. Just a very light film of the stuff is all that is needed. But I don't make any exotic wildcat stuff to really put it to the test either as barsche said.

I am still wondering why I got away from it (Vaseline) for a while. Guess I just had to see what else was out there.

Being Vaseline is is a petrolatum product and it has mineral oil in it, you can clean it off your cases with mineral spirits too. I also clean Imperial wax off my cases with mineral spirits. A true solvent for paraffin is MEK.

Now another item that you can use for case lube is regular handsoap....whatever your flavor is.
So guys also use the lube for pulling electrical wires through conduit. Some use SAE 90 gear oil, but boy that stuff smells and you can't ever wash the smell out of your clothes should you get any on them.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:
quote:
quote:

aka dieseling .

Come Jeff, bartsche clearly implied that too much lube on the case causes dimpling or creases, whichever you wish to cause them. If it were true diseling it would have enough power to blow your press ram down.

man, whatever i've done to be on yout *hit list, i am sorry ...
I don't know you, you don't know me.. and obviously i rub you wrong ... you've gone out of your way to "correct" me in this thread. that's your call ...

I don't take it personal.

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

aka dieseling .

popcornIt actually occurred during sizing and not firing (Shoulder deformation). beerroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do small base sizing with Hornady's One Shot lube. As long as you follow the instructions written on the can it works fine. You'd be surprised how many people say it's no good, but haven't read and don't follow the instructions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester used to use and probably still does use a mixture of lard and Ivory soap. Just a little lard added to Ivory soap. With the large quantities that they use I'm sure that cost is a major factor.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Vaseline works good too. I've used it on some small stuff.

Let's leave your sex life out of this discussion. Smiler

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:
quote:
quote:

aka dieseling .

man, whatever i've done to be on yout *hit list, i am sorry ...
I don't know you, you don't know me.. and obviously i rub you wrong ... you've gone out of your way to "correct" me in this thread. that's your call ...

I don't take it personal.

Jeff,

You're not on my hit list and no need to apologize. I just have never heard of lube on case causing dieseling. Now I know if you use the wrong kind of lube in a piston powered air rifle you can sure wreck the thing with dieseling but you have the three things there needed to cause that: oxygen, fuel, compression.

So we're okay, I'm sorry if I got under your skin.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
quote:

rotflmoNow that's a real knee slapper. claproger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
quote:

rotflmoNow that's a real knee slapper. claproger

AR humor.
That was pretty good! rotflmo

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Gorski:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Boss Hoss:
... Only wish it had a wider spray path so I could get the spray inside the case neck, ...
Hey Jay, Do you think that is a function of the Thickness of the Spray, or would it be possible to swap Spray Caps with one that does spray wider and have what you want?

I think its a function of the thickness of the lube itself, it goes on kinda thin, you let it dry and it thickens up. When I used it as a chain lube it dripped pretty good from the chain as I was applying it, and as I let it sit the lube setup(dried) and I was ready to ride. Though Ill have to swap spray nozzles and see it that works.

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Wasnt able to swap nozzles since the Multi-Use can was a male and the One Shot Nozzle was male. But I did compare the ease of resizing between the One Shot and the Dupont Multi-Use, and the Multi-Use was easier to resize with, hands down much smoother and easier. Used Rem. Nickle 06 brass, btw. Then I resized 40 more 708 brass and was very pleased how easy it was, theyre all in the tumbler as we speak.