Find
Notify
Tools

Norma Oryx bullets
 Login/Join

<.280 Sweden>
posted
To all you U.S hunters,
try the Norma Oryx bullets (bonded type).
Read about the bullet at:
www.norma.cc

The bullet has own very good reputation by the swedish moosehunters.

It�s a real good price for us in Sweden, cheaper than Nosler Partition and is proberly very cheap for you in U.S.
The dollar is high and swedish crown is low, buy and try.

"Since the introduction of Oryx in 1996, it has become the top of our line. All over the world, it has won acclaim for its performance. What is it that makes the Oryx bullets so unique? It is a combination of rapid expansion for killing power, high weight retention and deep penetration for the more demanding shots. To perform in varied hunting situations Oryx is designed with a core bonded to the jacket. The bullet still expands rapidly, but the bonding prevents a separation of the jacket from the core. This allowes the bullet to penetrate deep into the game to reach the vital organs. The Oryx is unsurpassed in its design. It is suitable for many types of game such as deer, stag, moose, wild boar and black bear." from Norma homepage.

Jonas, Sweden

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
Do you work at Norma in the Marketing staff? It seems so...

But OK - I admit that the "Oryx" is a good bullet.

Fritz K.

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is anyone aware of a retail dealer here in the U.S. that carries Norma bullets?

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
<K9>
posted
Jonas
Seem to remember you asking about the performace of this very bullet a while ago. Have you by any chance tried it yet???

K9

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the Oryx for several years already, on scandinavian moose.
I have used a 180 grs Oryx in my 308 Win. and simply loves it. It is out of the question to change to anything else. I have also used a 170 grs, 7 mm Oryx in my 7x57R, on roedeer. But i have changed to a lighter bullet. But now i see that the Oryx are being produced in 156 grs, and now i'm going to try them.
I also have a buddy that uses Oryx 235 grs (?), in his 9,3x62. And he has the same opinion about his bullet.
I have just one thing to say; try it if you have the opertunity.(it damn accurate to!!)

------------------
Shoot well, and hit hard.

Arild.

[This message has been edited by 460wby (edited 09-05-2001).]

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<.280 Sweden>
posted
To you K9

You have good memory.
I have try out the 7mm 170grs. in some shooting test at weet newspaper.
When the hunting season just started in sweden I have not yet done any field test.
But I will lod the 156grs Oryx in my 7mm for moose and wild boar hunting.

jonas

<.280 Sweden>
posted
To you Fritz

I�m not working for Norma, but is very proud of our swedish company Norma.

And I�am also want put in other loading components to forum discussion than U.S made products.

Here in Sweden the Oryx bullets are half the price of Nosler Partition.

Jonas

<PCH>
posted
The Oryx has a reputation for not feeding well(or not at all) in many rifles. This is because of the flat point of the bullet. However Norma will change their design a bit and give the Oryx a little lead point so it will feed better.

I'd save my money until they come out with their new design.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Jonas, I know Oryx bullets and have shot them at paper but haven't tried them on game yet. They appear very similar to the Vulkan, which have failed for me by not opening at long distance in a 7x64. Where lies the difference between the 2 ?
BTW, I'm invited by Norma on a factory tour in October and will ask also, no doubt.

------------------
Andr�

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Jonas

I used the Norma 196gr 8x57 factory ammo on about a dozen impala. All good one shot kills (bar one neck shot that went through the middle but missed everything vital). I recovered only two bullets but both had sepeated the jacket from the core. I think this was the Oryx bullet.

I am going to try a Barnes X load when I get my new 8x57.

regards

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
<.280 Sweden>
posted
There is a big differens between Oryx and Vulcan, the Oryx has a bonded core/jacket and Vulcan has a conventionel core/jacket.

The construktion and behavior after impact is a copy of Woodleigh-bullets.

What distance and wich game did the bullet not opend on?

If you shoot small deers like impala and had a jacket/core separation it proberly was the Vulcan bullet.
I have seen my 7mm Oryx shoot in weet newspapper mixed with two layer of playwood (8mm) from 10m and 830m/s with a great musgroom. And also look at picture and read reports from calibers .300WM and 9.3x62 who had hit hard parts of big game with no separation.

Jonas

[This message has been edited by Jonas (edited 09-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Jonas (edited 09-06-2001).]

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jonas:
To you Fritz

I�m not working for Norma, but is very proud of our swedish company Norma.

And I�am also want put in other loading components to forum discussion than U.S made products.

Here in Sweden the Oryx bullets are half the price of Nosler Partition.

Jonas

I really share your proudness of our swedish Norma ammo - and the Americans can make good ammo too.

I don�t quite like the Oryx because of its shape: I prefer old round noses as the Norma Alaska or Hornady RN, loaded to moderate velocities. Perhaps I�m too conservative, but I would really appreciate a Oryx with round nose. That would be nearly perfect!

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More fuel to the discussion
One of my student did a small work on different bullet construction's (guess who's idea ) You will find it in Swedish on http://www.naturbruk.net/nordvik/elevjobb/vt01/josef/index.htm
He tested the following bullets in 6,5mm by shooting them in to dry paper from 30m.
This is a diagram of the "mushrooming" in % of original diameter and the retention weight also in percent of the original weight

The Barnes are the coated 140gr BarnesX, the Nosler are 140gr Nosler partition, A-Frame also 140gr.
Just thought I could infect this topic a little bit more. My student sad in his summary that he was going to use the A-frame /
PerN

Posts: 108 | Location: Härnösand Sweden | Registered: 17 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, but that's the truth.
The Oryx - bullet have provided me some trouble, with it's flat nose. I sometimes have feeding-problem in my Rem.700 BDL. But i also believe that the "detachable magazine" has something to do with it to. I have never seen this problem with any of my controlled-feed rifles.
But i love the performance of the bullet!!
And to you DEERDOG, that bullet i belive was a Vulkan. I have never seen a Oryx that seperates. And i have atleast seen 40-50 moose, that have been shoot with that bullet.(Almost my hole huntingteam uses that bullet.)

------------------
Shoot well, and hit hard.

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PerN:
My student sad in his summary that he was going to use the A-frame /
PerN

Sh*tcan that A-Frame unless you are shooting VERY large animals. Just returned from Africa where a hunting partner shot an impala FIVE (5) times through the shoulders and lungs with a 7mm Rem Mag 160 grain A-frame @ MV 3070 fps. Distance was 150 yards. NO expansion, zipped through with little damage.

It did well on a warthog, however, with a Texas heartshot.

I shot an impala with the .300 WSM handloaded with a Sierra 200 grain SBT @ 2880 fps at 115 yards. One shot, it went down like a sack of potatoes: instant kill. Complete penetration.

I think too much is made of this weight retention business. A bullet that gets inside the chest cavity and fragments does more damage than a quasi-solid like the barnes or A-frame.

Here's the tale of two impalas:

[This message has been edited by KuduKing (edited 09-09-2001).]

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I be trying Oryx 170gr this year and see if I can notice any difference compared with the BarnesX I have used earlier. Oryx is about � price of the BarnesX here in Sweden
The student got comments froM Norma telling that his test was much harder on the bullet compared to what they thought was optimum
PerN

Ps! Maybe this is the link you are trying to show

Antelops
PerN

Posts: 108 | Location: Härnösand Sweden | Registered: 17 June 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Personally I would not use a "premium" bullet
unless I was going for the larger plain game,
elk, bear or maybe Moose. For deer sized game
from Roe to Fallow I find stndard bullets perform fine because they are not too hard.

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete
I have bad experience with my last gun, a 7mmRm in wich I have two bullets that showed disintegration on impact. OK it was on moose and the speed was much higher than in my 7mm-08. But since i have experencied it I gladly pay alittle extra to now that the bullet will hold together.
PerN