New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 cal. 250 gr. bullets for whelen
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i have been looking pretty hard and besides pistol bullets all i have found is Nosler partions. i have a whelen with a 1 in 12 twist.
i shot some nosler custom ammo with the 250s. now i am ready to start my first ever reloading with that brass and was looking for some other 250 gr. bullets to try
i also shot some federal 225grTBBC but results for those was less than i would like. thanks mike.

Posts: 90 | Location: Okemos Mi. | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
In 250 gr there are speer hot cores, hornady in both round nose and spitzer, swift A-frames, Barnes X and I believe North Fork, in addition to the Nosler partitions.

For std cup core bullets most folks work up to 58 gr of RL 15 for ~2500 fps. Be aware that partitions, A-frames and X bullets run higher pressures, so keep an eye on the chrono. When I had a whelen ackley, the same powder charge would push swift a-frames 100 fps faster then hornady spitzers.

I've found the hornady round nose to be very accurate, and at 2500 fps, no reason not to use it.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks paul, i did find the barnes x. i am going to try to find the northfork web site. thanks again.

Posts: 90 | Location: Okemos Mi. | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using the Hornady 250gr spitzers in my Whelen and they work fine running 2450-2500fps..and their performance on big hogs has been impressive... My barrel has is 1 in 14 twist and the accuracy is good with that Hornady bullet..

Zeeriverrat1

Posts: 503 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike61:
i have been looking pretty hard and besides pistol bullets all i have found is Nosler partions. i have a whelen with a 1 in 12 twist.
i shot some nosler custom ammo with the 250s. now i am ready to start my first ever reloading with that brass and was looking for some other 250 gr. bullets to try

you pay postage and I'll send you some to play with. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
really ought to try the sierra game king 225... awesome in my 358 win

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39722 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I really wish that Hornady made some 225 gn 35 cal. interlocks. Im getting real good accuracy from their 200 gn spitzers and 2800 fs with 60 gns of Rlr 15, but I would gladly sacrifice some of that speed for a 225 gn Hornady.

I recently aquired some CH equipment for making 35 cal jacketed bullets, that will be a new thing for me, should be fun.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I get excellent accuracy with 250 grain bullets from Woodleigh, Northfork, Speer, and Hornady (both RN and SPT) in my .35 Newton at velocities between 2400 and 2850 fps. I concur with Paul about the Hornady RN, but the Speer 250 SPT is as good or better in my 1 in 12 twist barrel. Good luck with your project and be sure to report on your results.

Don Stewart
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the 250 gr. Speer Hot-core in my Whelens. The Hornady Spire point is a very close second. One rifle has a 1 in 14" twist and the other two, (Rem. 700 and Ruger 77) have that idiotic 1 in 16" twist. My next one will have a 1 in 12" twist barrel.
I have several friends in Canada that use the 250 gr. Speer Hot-core exclusively for moose and Grizzly Bear. Seems to me that if they trust it to work on "griz", it should be good for just about anything.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Whelen Nut
posted Hide Post
Look no further than the 250gr Speer with IMR4064 or R-15.

If you prefer 225grainers then the Nosler Partition is the way to go with the same powders.

WN

Fill your boots, man!

Posts: 249 | Location: Northeast WI | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Speer has a good reputation. I've had excellent luck with Hornadys and Partitions.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I Took my whelen elk hunting last year with a 250 grain speer hot core. It shot accuratly and gave my over 2600 fps. I used RL-15.
If you go to aliants web page, you,ll see a max load of 59.5 as max for 2550, and the listed CUP is 48000 so you have a little room if you can squeeze more into the case !!! ...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
Speer also has a 250 grain Grand Slam (#2455)and have just released a 250 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw (#1777). Hawk Bullets also makes several different 250 grain bullets and you can pick from several different nose shapes and jacket thicknesses.

Bob

Posts: 601 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a box of Hornady 250 RN from a shop that was closing out their reloading section. The accuracy of these bullets has turned my opinion of round nosed bullets. They look very serious sticking out of a Whelen case. A customer called them "bullety" looking. I can't wait to try them on game. I don't know if the 250 spire-point shoots as well.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
If you look at the trajectory tables you see that not much is given up with round noses to about 350 yds which is as far as 99% will shoot. I like the 250 gr Hornady RN too.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Adams & Bennett 14 twist loves the 250 gr. Hornady RN, too. Under an inch all the time and nice round groups.

I have also found the Sierra 225 boattails very accurate.

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Jones:
I Took my whelen elk hunting last year with a 250 grain speer hot core. It shot accuratly and gave my over 2600 fps. I used RL-15.
If you go to aliants web page, you,ll see a max load of 59.5 as max for 2550, and the listed CUP is 48000 so you have a little room if you can squeeze more into the case !!! ...tj3006

Tom. You have to be careful with that load. I have three rifles in .35 Whelen and that load is well over max in all three.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote