New
Find
Notify
Tools

.44 Mag Loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just picked up my 1st .44 Mag (5" Smith & Wesson M-629) and am looking for some good handloads. I ordered some 275 grain and 300 grain bullets to try and develop a heavy load with. Thanks in advance for the help!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
For full power loads, H110 & W296 are hard to beat. Check you loading manula, these two powders should not be loaded down much. For a plinking load, I like 240-250gr Lead anythings over 8gr Unique.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest using H-110 as it seems to have a better pressure to bullet ratio. I think you should definitely get a good manual or two and start at the minimum charge as every gun is different. I would suggest that you do some dummy loads as the S&W cylinder is rather short for the heavier bullets. I usually use an as-cast bullet that weighs around 265 gr depending on the alloy. I've reloaded a bunch of rounds for friends to try a long time ago and what was accurate in mine wasn't in theirs. Either bigger cylinder throats or barrel throats in theirs. There's a lot of factors out there in getting a good cast load. Sometimes you get lucky before you get into the absolutely max load. Don't be impatient as that'll get you a $700 paperweight. Good luck in finding a good load or two.

Cool Cool Smiler Smiler

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:
I just picked up my 1st .44 Mag (5" Smith & Wesson M-629) and am looking for some good handloads. I ordered some 275 grain and 300 grain bullets to try and develop a heavy load with. Thanks in advance for the help!

"The world has turned over many times" since Elmer got his first .44 Mag. out of S&W. But my favorite load uses his bullet, which comes from my old Lyman mould at 268 grains, and the same old 22.5 grains of Alliant 2400 to push it. A heavier bullet might do a little better, if you intend going to Africa!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not push your Smith with top end loads they just are not as strong as the rugers and others. I use a max load of H110 with a 310 gr cast lee bullet for 1300fps out of my redhawk. This load is very accurate in my pistol.

Posts: 19421 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bm-3
posted Hide Post
Another powder that is overlooked is VihtaVuori. I shoot a lot of cast bullets and not as much jacketed bullet but have very nice loads with N 110 and N 340. These are very clean powders with low muzzle blast. V V powders like mag primers, and say so in there manuals.

Posts: 86 | Location: Idaho, Boise. | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't like 2400 because it gives so much unburned powder residue. H-110 is a clean burn

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
275's:
H-110 From 18.5 grains to 20.5 grains
CCI-350 Primer

300's:
H-110 From 16.7 grains to 22.5 grains
CCI-350 Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been loading for the 44 mag for over 40 years now.I have been trying cast bullets mostly. I tried the Keith bullet 429421 with 8.5 grains and was mildly succesful. 2400 powder leaves too much unburned powder in the barrel.Finally found the load that is a tackdriver in my Blackhawk and Redhawk. Lyman`s 429215 bullet with gas check over 9.2 Gr of AA # 2 with a WW regular Large Pistol primer.It should give 1150 ft/sec from a 7 in. barrelThe only problem is you have to cast them yourself.

Posts: 67 | Location: California usa | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote