New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt closes hard
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have 22-250 Rem. BDL. I bought it used 10 yr ago. Shot factory ammo very good. Tried to reload the fired carts. and bolt is very hard to close. Found I was only neck sizing for another 22-250 I have. Bought fl Redding die and tried again to size the carts. fired in BDL. Cant get them to chamber like fact loads. Seems unusually hard to close bolt. Tried adjusting die to the point of denting the shoulder and just below. When I rechamber fired but not sized carts not as much of a problem. I only have six out of 50 I haven't sized. So I need to fix the problem. Is it just adjustment I'm not getting right? Fired carts from Bdl then full length sized don't fit as bad but not properly in my Rem VSSF 22-250. Shouldn't Fl sizing bring them back to factory specs? I only plan to use same carts. same guns. I only had to neck size carts. fired in VSSF. Can't seem to easily chamber anything but fact. in BDL. I have been reloading about 30 yrs. Pistol, revolver, shotgun, 2 different hornets, 221 Fb, 2 different 223s. Never any problems. HELP please I want to use this Bdl. It was very accurate with fact. carts. Could the gun have a tight neck chamber? I don't know previous owner. Thank You and hope you can make sense of this.

Posts: 47 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 15 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigvarmint:
I have 22-250 Rem. BDL. I bought it used 10 yr ago. Shot factory ammo very good. Tried to reload the fired carts. and bolt is very hard to close. Found I was only neck sizing for another 22-250 I have. Bought fl Redding die and tried again to size the carts. fired in BDL. Cant get them to chamber like fact loads. Seems unusually hard to close bolt. Tried adjusting die to the point of denting the shoulder and just below. When I rechamber fired but not sized carts not as much of a problem. I only have six out of 50 I haven't sized. So I need to fix the problem. Is it just adjustment I'm not getting right? Fired carts from Bdl then full length sized don't fit as bad but not properly in my Rem VSSF 22-250. Shouldn't Fl sizing bring them back to factory specs? I only plan to use same carts. same guns. I only had to neck size carts. fired in VSSF. Can't seem to easily chamber anything but fact. in BDL. I have been reloading about 30 yrs. Pistol, revolver, shotgun, 2 different hornets, 221 Fb, 2 different 223s. Never any problems. HELP please I want to use this Bdl. It was very accurate with fact. carts. Could the gun have a tight neck chamber? I don't know previous owner. Thank You and hope you can make sense of this.

How is your COL? Or COL for the bullet type? I had a issue like this before, I found it was one of 3 things. You need to full lanth resize, but I doubt you need to, so then the bullet may be engaging the rifling. So the bullet is now getting pushed back into the case. The last could be the case needs to be trimmed back a few thousandths.
If it is your neck, you maybe able to get a bushing to help or may just need to trim it to thin it. Do you have such gauges? Or trimming tools? I find I acquire tools as I need them.
Best of luck! Hope I can help.
James

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had loaded several carts a year or more ago. Then Went to shoot and discovered this problem last year. I took them all apart. I checked length, Not a problem but trimmed them anyway. Finally got back to this project. Now trying to resized them with the fL die. Now all I have are empty cases that are hard to get the bolt closed on. I just dug out some never fired brass and it fits fine. I would just neck size as with other rifle but I think I remember having the same problem that started all this. Bolt will close but seems harder than I feel comfortable with. Dosen't make sense to me. I talked to a guy at Sinclairs last year but all he offered was a bullet comparator or some new tool I prefer not to need if not necessary. I don't want to only be able to use brass for one firing. Don't really use this rifle. Kept it for one of my sons if they had an interest. Shot great 10 years ago. Just wanted to maybe play with it. Thought of using the action to have a rifle built but would be some time later. Think it has to be die adjustment. I may ruin a few more cases to see. I think I can get the dents out by shooting them in my VSSF if they fit. What problem could this cause if the bolt closes pretty hard. I was worried about pressure. Don't want to go there. Thanks for responding.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tried adjusting die to the point of denting the shoulder and just below. When I rechamber fired but not sized carts not as much of a problem. I only have six out of 50 I haven't sized. So I need to fix the problem. Is it just adjustment I'm not getting right?

1. Your shoulder dents come from over-lubing the cases, not over resizing them. Lube dents are a common occurance with beginners, it's just a part of the learning curve after all, and it's perfectly safe to shoot the dents out.

2. Your chambering problem is that you are NOT FL sizing! Not properly anyway. Set your sizer as you have been doing and then turn it down another 1/8th turn (about 9 thousants), then lean on that press handle to push the case fully into the die. Be sure to lube the lower part of the case (but not so much on the upper part) or you may get a stuck case. Cases stick at the bottom, not the top.

3. You may need to trim your cases but it's not likely at this point. Anyway, case length and OAL are NOT related, they're totally independant.

4. No bullet comparitor will help you in this situation. A true case measurement device CAN help insure that your have your FL sizer set properly. A Stoney Point/Hornady LnL case tool or the RCBS Precision Case Mic will give you the needed measurements off the case shoulder. But, you can use the chamber itself just as well, if not as easily. Simply size the fired cases until the bolt closes properly and lock your die at that point.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took a little break from it. Was just starting to try what you suggested. I've had that dent problem once in a while on other rounds and thought it was from lube. Glad to know case sticking is from lower part of cart. So just try not to get as much lube on neck shoulder area? I use a Dillon 550 and the die is touching the shell holder. I'm going to go as far as needed now. I think you are right, just haven't found the right spot yet. Can't think of anything else. Must be a loose chamber. Does it headspace on the shoulder? The neck is about .007 bigger on fired cart. versus unfired. Pretty ballpark there. So is it too long shoulder to base? Don't know why this has been such an issue with this gun. Heavy barrel, shot great when I got it. Only shot factory through it. As best I can recall. Shouldn't I be able to just neck size cases fired in this gun? They seem to grow to much. Anyway THANKS I'm adjusting now!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK! Just had to crank that die down farther than I figured. All my other rifles never needed that. I'd like to just neck size like my other 22-250. They fit back in it's chamber easy and it shoots good. OK how about a dumb question. I should know better but here goes. I took apart about 40 loaded carts. Deprimed good primers UH OH! Can I reuse these without any problems like pressure or anything else. I think I heard it's not a wise practice but I think it was for taking out not putting them back in. Hate to throw them away, some are benchrest. Not that's such a big deal. Thanks a Lot! I'm ready to load a few to see if it still shoots. Like getting a new gun after all this time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have come across this issue and tried everything to correct.My conclusion is that my BDL had an undersized chamber,possibly due to a dull reamer.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I personally wouldn't reuse your primers. They may work fine, but they're not really intended to be poked back out with a decapping pin and reused. The pin likely has deformed the inside of the primer. You may get erratic ignition now.

I've deprimed live primers many times over the years. It falls to everything else in reloading. You have to use your brain and not do it like you're unconscious. Just go easy on the force and don't "slam" the case into the die, a nice gentle push is all that's required.

Still, it's better to fire them than deprime them (and more fun too).

Back to your brass chambering issues. Bear in mind, every gun is a different animal. No 2 production rifles are going to be the same. At one time I was loading for 2 different factory Win 70 30-06 rifles, and the ammo would not interchange between the 2. One had a "shorter" chamber than the other one. Just keep your brass and ammo separated and load each as it's own critter. It happens.

Glad you found a fix for yours. I have a couple of factory barrels that I have to "cam over" the press when I'm resizing my brass. It happens that way sometimes.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bigvarmint.
First will a fired case chamber without force. If so the problem is in sizing. I have a Rem 722 in 257 Roberts that will chamber s fired round but not a sized round unless the sizing die is screwed at least a quarter turn past touching the shellholder. What is happening is we have a tight chamber, and when we don't have the size die all the way down the case it grows in diameter at the shoulder, making it dificult to chamber. Check if it will chamber a fired case before sizing. Afriend of mine had a Ruger No 1 that would chamber a fired case but not a sized round until I showed him how to set the size die. Try turning the FL size die down a quarter turn past hitting the shellholder
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank You all for your input Wink. I have successfully sized the brass. I just didn't have the die down far enough. This rifle must be a little picky. I will have to see if the brass fits back in easily after I fire it again. Can't figure out why it wouldn't. It has been a long time, but I thought that was a problem years ago. Wouldn't think so but I had a problem neck sizing only. I believe that's what started this all. Thanks again and to Al Gore for inventing this handy gizmo.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I have come across this issue and tried everything to correct.My conclusion is that my BDL had an undersized chamber,possibly due to a dull reamer.

not possible -- dulled reamer would result in OVERSIZED chamber.. good god, man, i hope you don't own a SCREWDRIVER, much less a lathe.

chambers are generally .003D larger than spec, and cases are AT LEAST that much smaller than spec... .006, or a sheet of paper ALL THE WAY around.

a headspace gage WONT FIT in an undersized chamber

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a q-tip and put some lube inside the case
where the shoulder meets the neck. Drag on
the neck sizer will sometimes pull the shoulder
out a scosh. Also if the over all lencth has grown you could have a dangerous condition where
the mouth of the case is being pressed tight by
the chamber.

Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigvarmint:
...fired in VSSF. Can't seem to easily chamber anything but fact. ...Could the gun have a tight neck chamber? hope you can make sense of this....
Yes bigvarmint, you are absolutely correct about the "V-series" Remington rifles having snug chambers.

I've been fortunate to handle and load for a good many of them and they all had Chambers cut very close to the Minimum.

The biggest problem with them is all your buddies whining and sniveling when it is time to see who buys the BBQ for Supper for the person with the smallest group. thumb

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote