New
Find
Notify
Tools

Polishing Brass
 Login/Join

<TGWoody>
posted
Ok, ,,Ok. .. I've asked a lot of questions, and everyone has been very helpful. This forum is great, it's the one stop shop. :~)

I have seen on several post to polish or tumble brass for up to 3-4 hours. I've been told about 30min is all you should do, due to the fact that it wears down the brass.

So, ,, my question is. .. how long do you polish brass for and what is the best media? This should be a fun one . .. :~?

TGW

<Bill>
posted
I don't see how the media is going to wear the brass down. I tumble my cases for a while, sometimes an hour, sometimes two or four, it really depends on what I am doing. I don't like to leave my tumbler unattended.

I use treated corn media, but the walnut is nice because it does not get hung up in the primer pockets

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

<Eric>
posted
Tg,

Everybody and his mother that reloads has a specific "system" to tumble their brass. Almost always arrived at after a series of experimentations. I usually use a vibrator tumbler from Midway, which is probabely not as good as the Dillion job, but it was what I could afford at the time.

I use corn cob for slightly discolored and dirty brass. I quit using the walnut, just didn't like the finish. For really dirty or discolored brass I tumble in a rock tumbler with one quart water, 1/4 cup white viniger and a small squirt of liquid dishwashing soap. From my experience the type of soap doesn't mean squat, but others disagree.

Usually for several hours, depends on how cruddy the cases are. I have tumbeled them for up to eight hours for "brown" brass. I rinse in cold, clean water and dry. I put them on a wood stove for five minutes or so to dry. Others use hair dryers, electric or gas ovens set real low, or what have you.

For pistol cases which go on the progressive, that's all I do. For rifle cases or others that go to the single stage press, I resize and then run them through the Midway vibrator for an hour or so.

I have to agree with Bill, you would have to run them for days to get any appreciable wear on the cases, in hard media. I've been cleaning my cases like this for at least six years, and using the liquid solution for over twenty. Most of my cases have been reloaded over ten times and look just fine. It is usually the firearm that trashes the case by denting or runing the rim.

Try different methods and use what works best for you, in the amount of time you want to spend, to get the product you require.

------------------
Surely we must all hang together, for separately we will all surely hang.

<Eric>
posted
Tg,

Everybody and his mother that reloads has a specific "system" to tumble their brass. Almost always arrived at after a series of experimentation. I usually use a vibrator tumbler from Midway, which is probably not as good as the Dillion job, but it was what I could afford at the time.

I use corn cob for slightly discolored and dirty brass. I quit using the walnut, just didn't like the finish. For really dirty or discolored brass I tumble in a rock tumbler with one quart water, 1/4 cup white vinegar and a small squirt of liquid dishwashing soap. From my experience the type of soap doesn't mean squat, but others disagree.

Usually for several hours, depends on how cruddy the cases are. I have tumbled them for up to eight hours for "brown" brass. I rinse in cold, clean water and dry. I put them on a wood stove for five minutes or so to dry. Others use hair dryers, electric or gas ovens set real low, or what have you.

For pistol cases which go on the progressive, that's all I do. For rifle cases or others that go to the single stage press, I resize and then run them through the Midway vibrator for an hour or so.

I have to agree with Bill, you would have to run them for days to get any appreciable wear on the cases, in hard media. I've been cleaning my cases like this for at least six years, and using the liquid solution for over twenty. Most of my cases have been reloaded over ten times and look just fine. It is usually the firearm that trashes the case by denting the case beyond repair or ruining the rim.

Try different methods and use what works best for you, in the amount of time you want to spend, to get the product you require.

------------------
Surely we must all hang together, for separately we will all surely hang.

<whales>
posted
I like to tumble my brass before resizing for about a half hour and after resizing for a hour. Stained and dirty brass may stay in the tumbler for a day. Walnut is my favorite but corn cobs work good also.

<Daryl Elder>
posted
Automatic dishwashing detergent and a final rinse with vinegar. No media to stick in primer pockets and it's cheap. Of course, you need a watertight tumbler.

<Steve in MI>
posted
I use a with a mixture that cleans and polishes the brass. I mix untreated corn cob with about 1/3-1/2 of the Tuff nut treated walnut shells. This really does a nice job with the corn cob in there it does not leave any of the residue on the cases. Time can be from 1/2 hour to several until brass is clean.I have a midway tumbler.

[This message has been edited by Steve in MI (edited 12-11-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
No, you can't wear down the brass by tumbling (at least not during the lifetime of the tumbler).

Corn cob media is probably the most economical. It can be reused many times when re-treated with something like Lyman tumbling additive, or even car polish.

If the brass is already fairly bright, about 2 hours in a vibratory tumbler is needed to assure that all of the "gunk" (lubricant residue) is scoured off of the cases. Overnight may be required for stained cases. Vibratory tumblers are generally faster acting than rolling tumblers.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started using McGuires cleaner/wax in a pinch when I ran out of whatever it was I was using before. I never looked back. That stuff cleans brass much faster than anything else I have tried. It works well for handgun as well as rifle brass.

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I run mine in the vibrator about 20mins or so to clean the sizing lube off. Then I load 'em up and shoot 'em. Contary to what some of the anals will tell you, chicks don't dig shiny brass.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Thumbler's tumbler with a mix of hot water, Sunlight dish detergent and concentrated lemon juice. An hour or so will clean the dirtiest brass and nothing gets stuck in the primer hole.

[This message has been edited by Mauser98 (edited 12-12-2001).]

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
<TGWoody>
posted
Thanks for the help. ..

I've been using Corn Cob with Dillon Rapid Polish 290 in a Dillon Tumbler. I think the brass will come out a little nicer next time if I keep it in there longer. I been running the tumbler for only about 1 hour.

I also think that I'll mix some Walnut into the mix, but not sure what type of polish I'm going to use next time.

It's time to experiment, ,, :~/

Thanks Again,
TWG

PS HAPPY HOLIDAY or as George Castandsa would say from the Stienfield TV show "HAPPY FESTABIEST".

one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
I use Bichwood Casey case cleaner mixed per derictions after sizeing, then rince with cold water. put them in old panty hose to hang dry in the sun or furnes room. I then tumble them in no name rice. Does stick in the primer pocket though, an excuse to look at every pocket the way I see it.

Al

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Latone rock tumbler. I put cases in with corncob media and leave them overnight.

Take them out the next day, and begin reloading. I always clean before I resize.

Works for me.

Pecos

Posts: 93 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Okay, your question provoked me to do something.

Since I am currently loading aorund 2,500 9mm's, I decided leave a small batch of brass in the tumbler for 5 days.

Yup...5 whole days. And guess what...the brass was the same size as when I put it in. (I marked several pieces of the brass I was gonna toss with some deep scratches, and measured them before and after.)

No difference at all.

Were the brighter and cleaner after 5 days in the Lyman? No...they looked the same as the 1-day brass.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<TGWoody>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:
Okay, your question provoked me to do something.

Being provoked is very provocative. .. :~)

What media did you use for your science project?

TGW

<Bill T>
posted
TG Woody: I use a Dillion Magnum FL-2000 Cleaner. I've found for it's size and cost, it's a good buy as well as a good piece of equipment. I use ground corn cob media because it works the best of anything that I've found and it's cheap enough to toss when it gets dirty. I add about 4 capfuls of Dillions Rapid Polish to the mix and usually let it run for 6 to 8 hours and the dirtyist brass comes out better than new, inside and out. Don't worry about the little piece of media that will usually stick in the flash hole, your decapping pin will push it right out with the spent primer. I have reloaded thousands of rounds this way and have never broke a decapping pin because of it. Bill T.

<TGWoody>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Bill T:
TG Woody: I use a Dillion Magnum FL-2000 Cleaner. I've found for it's size and cost, it's a good buy as well as a good piece of equipment. I use ground corn cob media because it works the best of anything that I've found and it's cheap enough to toss when it gets dirty. I add about 4 capfuls of Dillions Rapid Polish to the mix and usually let it run for 6 to 8 hours and the dirtyist brass comes out better than new, inside and out. Don't worry about the little piece of media that will usually stick in the flash hole, your decapping pin will push it right out with the spent primer. I have reloaded thousands of rounds this way and have never broke a decapping pin because of it. Bill T.

Bill,

What caliber do you mostly reload?

Have you found any good VARMINT spots in your area??

TGW

<Bill T>
posted
TG Woody: I reload most everything from .22-250 up to and including .460 Weatherby Magnum. I really like, and recommend the big Dillion case cleaner, as it's compacity really helps speed things along. It will take up to 1,000 .44 Mag. cases in one shot. I've cleaned 200 .375 H&H cases and 100 .416 Rigby cases at one time also with no problem. Here in the Phoenix area it's getting really developed, so there isn't too much critter shooting close by. When I lived in Lake Havasu City a few years back, I only had to go about 6 blocks to be on B.L.M. land to hunt Doves. That was really nice! I miss small town living. I'm hoping to get back to the Colorado River area some day soon. It's really beautiful there. Good Shooting, Bill T.

<TGWoody>
posted
Bill T,

Havasu has some of the best BEAVER shots around :~), I think the seasons best in the summer. .. (what do you think?? hehe)

We'll have to hookup at Ben Avery or Rio Salado some time. ..

Thanks for the input.

TGW

<Paul Dustin>
posted
I agree with Bill T on how long to run it.I use brass cleaner with my corn media