New
Find
Notify
Tools

hot factory loads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i brought my model 70 270wsm out this weekend to shoot a little. i used up the last of my other box of bullets during hunting season and have 1 more full box of bullets left. i figured i would shoot them up before starting on my reloads. i had printed a couple targets on standard 8.5x11 paper and put them out at 100yds. i shot 3rds and was looking at the brass because they seemed to have a little more kick. the primers were flattened which i thought was kinda odd. so i went to go check the target and i had completely missed with 2 shots and the third had barely and i mean barely clipped the top of the target. that means its probably shooting 6-7"s high at 100. has anyone ever had this happen? by the way the bullets are winchester ballistic silver tips 150g

Posts: 300 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
the loads may be hot because you are shooting during hot months. the same loads in the middle of winter would not be so hot

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well its a complete different box of bullets i shot the others during summer monthes with no problems something just seemed off.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Unless the lot number is the same on both boxes, you can expect a difference in accuracy and/or velocity.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can't judge how "hot" something is by where it hits the target. Trying to judge recoil or looking at primers on virgin brass is not much use either.
The wsm's in general are loaded right up to the 65k pressure they are advertised at. I've never seen a post where anyone said...wow..I've got really weak wsm factory loads.
I'm loading for a friend right now with a 300 wsm. Federal loads...165 partitions are clocking at 3130 out of a 24" barrel. They are leaving slight extractor marks on some of the brass. I'm reloading this to near the same velocity with re17 but am not experiencing extraction problems or extractor marks. WSM's a definately an "experience" to work with.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i can understand a different lot having different accuracy/velocity but the extra recoil is very noticable and just had me wondering harder recoil, higher poi i donno. i think im gonna go ahead and start working up some of my own loads for it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
update. i shot some more of these bullets and i have came to the conclusion that they are a bad box of bullets or have gone bad due to storage. these bullets spent a year in my camp. i do not leave any air/heat on due to the long spans that i may not be there. i shot 6 shots at a target at 100yds i don't know what the target size was exactly but it was a splatter target and was probably 12"x14-16" or so. first shot didnt hit paper next 2 shots where within 1" of each other and 1" high which is where i had it sighted. next shot didn't hit paper. 5th shot i pulled just a little and it hit at the same elevation as the other 2 hits and just a little right. 6th shot didn't hit paper. the shots that didn't hit kicked quite a bit more than the ones that hit. so the only thing i can come up with is these bullets have deteriorated due to poor storage. all of my bullets stay with me and these should have been but i misplaced them for awhile. wont happen again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was unaware that improper storage led to "hotter" rounds. When powder degrades it becomes "weaker".

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hell if i know man something is wrong with them. well some of them. i thought it was just me but i let someone else shoot a couple and they agreed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before you shoot 'em all up, give Winchester a call. Maybe they'll send you a cert for a couple of free boxes.
I agree, powder doesn't get stronger as it ages.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to have a Win M70 chambered in 7STW and bought a couple of boxes of factory Rem ammo when I bought the rifle. They were so hot the third round would not extract and the empty hull had to be knocked out with a brass welding rod. I shot some from both boxes and had the same issue with both.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1190 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a box of Remington Factory loads in 7-08 140 gr. leak around the primers and even blow 2 primers!

I guess Remington loads the 7-08 up to higher pressures in attempt to duplicate velocities that are easily achieved by those of us who handload the 7x57 at reasonable pressure levels!

Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Merg, ROFLMFAO Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SKS, just a thought,
Are you sure it's the ammo? Some in the center of the paper, some scattered? If it's been awhile since you shot the rifle I'd suggest checking the scope mounts.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Papershredder
posted Hide Post
I had some factory .300 WSM Winchester Supreme 150 g Silvertips that blew some of the primers out, and went across the chrono at 3333 fps. That is a scorching factory load. Faster than my 150 TTSX loads by about 60 fps.

Posts: 157 | Location: Alberta,Canada | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote