New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman 55 powder measure
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought a used one to start my own reloading supply collection after I got married and moved away from dad's stuff. How good is the Lyman 55? It looks to be an easy-to-adjust measure and I've heard that it's accurate. I paid $15 for it and it's in good condition, so I'm not out too much.
Yardbird

Posts: 332 | Location: Upper Midwest | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Loren>
posted
If it's the orange one with the steel knocker on it it's like one I had years ago. I remember liking it a lot.

I have a Lee now and I'd love to have the Lyman back.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i love my 55... I can't imagine loading without it... acurrate, consistant, mebbe the lever could be a little longer?

anyone have an extended drop tube?
jeffe

Posts: 38566 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one that is a pre-orange model. I got it probably 25 years ago and it has worked great ever since. It cam with two drop tubes that are about 2" long.

Posts: 172 | Location: Danville, VA, USA | Registered: 08 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have the dark gray model of the 55. Bought mine roughly 30 years ago and its been in steady use ever since. I use the RCBS electric seein-eye dog powder dispenser with digital scale for rifle reloading. I get close then trickle up. But for pistol, nothing beats the 55. Once you get it on, its there. I check about every 10th one and can usually go 100 to 150 rounds before adding powder.
I bent my drop tube inward by over-tightening the small screw for years and finally ordered another set of drop tubes from Lyman. No problem. Also went to the hardware store and got a new screw with a knob on it for tightening the body to the drop tube. Works pretty good.
Ed

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents,
I have been using a Lyman 55 since about '85.
Got it used in a box of misc. reloading gear that also had a Lyman All-American Turret press,they have been my favorites ever since for most of my handloading career. I now have a Dillon 550 bolted to the bench too,but that Lyman gear still comes through when I don't need 500 rounds of something fast. 45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started reloading with mine Lyman powder measure 45 years ago and still use it. Like all good reloading equipment, it will outlast the owner and I shudder to think how many charges mine has measured for me.

It's as good as any on the rifle charges and better than the rest for pistol. It will accurately measure as small a charge as you could ever want to go. I've used it for specialty loads down to .5 gr Bullseye.

Try that charge with the others. [Big Grin]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Bill T>
posted
I've been loading on a Lyman 55 for about 33 years now, and it's never missed a beat. I've found that not having a powder baffle doesn't affect the accuracy in the least. Bill T.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Ditto to the above....you made a great buy!

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is as good as any...A powder measure is as good or bad as the operator, consistency is the key to powder measures...It takes awhile to learn each powder measures quirks, likes and dislikes, once your used to it, learned its ways, it is clear sailing from then on....you got a good deal.

Posts: 41950 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote