THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OEHLER 35 VS. PACT PROFESSIONAL XP, WHICH ONE?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The price difference between the to is not a factor, but the fact the Pact comes with a printer and a ballistic softwere that will do every single conceivable counculation as related to the performance of your load and bullet combo is a strong pluss for the pact. Is there an after market softwere that will do the same with the data I get from the 35p, and if so which is best and what does it cost.

I have read countless reviews of the Oehler and all give it a great review. How ever the same can not be said of the Pact. I read enough negative reviews of the Pact at Midwayshooters supply, to ask the fallowing.

Has the problems with the jacks (poor connectins), manuals (poorly written), and software (is it available?) been fixed? Has anyone bought a Pact XP in the last three months and are able to comment on these problems?

Thanks to all for your input. I only want to buy ONE chronograph, ONE time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used both and like Oehler best. AIU

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have a Pact, I had so many faulty readings I finally bought the Oehler. I love it, always works, never have any problems in any kind of light.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the pact. Smaller package and good price. Possibly as good as Oehler. I have both and have just as much trouble with false reading with both.MY Oehler could just be a lemon but I don't think so.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
My buddy has a Pact. It is several years old. It has been back to the factory 3 times. Just got it back last week. Took it out and about 50% of the readings were suspect. I have a simple little Beta Chrony and I get almost no bad readings.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
My experience exactly ramrod, new screens, back to the factory once & I still loose 50% of my readings on good days. The Oehler, it just works everytime.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
according to spec., there's no difference in the potential accuracy of any of these. pact, oehler, chrony...

but, for a hair more than the oehler, you can get an RSI pressure trace, with chrono and software and straingages....

i personally prefer the shooting chrony, and with there being a remote for the "cheap cheap" ones, to reset errors, for 15.99 on midway..

well, here's my thoughts.. for the price of 3.5# of powder, you can have a cheap chrony and a remote, new, (about 70 bucks http://www.shootingchrony.com/products_SCMMCM.htm item 105) chrono, and be MILES ahead of where you were the day before..

let's face it, on the scale of USEFUL TOOLS, compared to NO CHRONO at all (rate it a 1), all of the personal chronos fall in the scale from 8-9... and the difference between 8 (70 bucks) and a 9 (full OEHLER personal pressure lab-- 900) just isn't work talking about for a "first" chrono

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The price difference between the to is not a factor

I would try a RSI. http://www.shootingsoftware.com/chronographs.htm

I have had chronos for 40 years and the previous one was a Pact. It would miss a lot of shots and the readings were low. Pact said that I needed new sensors. This did not help. I asked if the clock could have gone off and they said no. I gave the Pact to a buddy and he sent it back to Pact and they said that the clock was off and they replaced it.

I came upon a used 35P for $200 with all the stuff. This is a very good item. I would still buy the RSI if I had to pay $400 for a Oehler. Then I could download the data into my computer with the CED.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I have been using the CED unit from RSI, and I have dealt with Jim Ristow the owner for probably 10 years. An interesting guy, and he knows a lot about this stuff.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote