Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Selection
 Login/Join

posted
When using a reloading manual's recipes for reloading, is it necessary to use the exact bullet that they used to develop their cartridges? For instance, the Lyman manual uses a Speer 165gr TMJ in one of the cartridges that they tested. Do I have to use Speer, or can I use any 165gr TMJ?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use them all interchangeably. Barnes or other solid coppers? use their data.

Posts: 17156 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the load books as a guideline not an absolute. Don't forget, however, that a prudent reloader always starts below max and works up.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on dpcd and wasbeeman!

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1190 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be careful and would NOT use data for standard cup and core jacketed lead bullets (either style, soft point or FMJ) with solid copper bullets machined from bar stock.

Nor would I interchange loading information grian for grain between molycoated bullets and standard cup and core bullets.

Safe loading practice is with ANY chnage of component from that in the handbook's "recipe" to reduce by at least 5% or even 10% from the listed load.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
As others have said, always, always, always back off a bit when changing any component.
Probably the only way you could get into trouble when changing similar type and weight bullets is IF you had a close to max load AND were seating to touch the lands AND if the ogive was different enough to jam the new bullet into the lands then you may get into an over pressure situation.
Not the only way it could go sideways on you but you can see how it is possible so always back off a bit and work back up. No one likes blowing up guns and picking action parts out of their teeth. BOOM

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I use them all interchangeably. Barnes or other solid coppers? use their data.

I do what he said.
B.I.F.

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
OK, sounds good. Thank you all for the info.

B.I.F. - No joke about seeing a worse president than Jimmy Carter. Hope we can correct that in the next election...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take in consideration that the bearing surface of bullets vary and therefore the more bearing surface you have, you need to download a few tenths of a grain. This is why you always start low with all loads and work them up checking for pressure signs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When a new rifle/ cartridge arrive (or before), I study multiple sources for my loads. Then I work up my loads (starting 3-5g below average max in .5g increments) w/ cheaper bullets(Speer, Sierra, Hornadys or grafs). Once I find THE load the rifle likes, I usually switch to the NP or NAB starting 2-3 grains below my best load w/ the cheaper bullets AND changing the seating depth for the new bullet as needed. Load the cheaper ones for practice,varmints,fun shooting and use the more expensive ones for hunting. It has worked well in most cases, but some rifles just do not like some bullets.
My little 7x57 loves sierras, NABs and even factory CLs, but it will not shoot the TBBC up to my satisfaction .

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
During the off season, I do considerable practice using cheap, similar weight bullets. for actual hunting, I go with the good stuff, check my zero, and go.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote